Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Alfine 8 bearing adjustment

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-22, 04:14 PM
Mannydog

Bikes: Some I made, some others made

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a first generation Alfine 8 (SG-S500, A type) that I got when Alfine was introduced in 2006(?), and finally started using a year or 2 ago.
I probably have less than 1000 miles on it and haven't ridden it in the rain to speak of.
The chain has a little slack.
This is a model that is bottom normal, i.e., upshifting is done with the thumb, working against the release spring.
I have 3 issues:
1) The cranks turn when I walk the bike
2) It's reluctant to downshift from 5th to 4th gear
3) I'm wondering if there should be side play at the rim as on Sturmey Archer 3 speed hubs of old

A bonus question is: I have some hand/arm issues, and pushing my thumb to upshift can be painful. Is there less force required by the thumb on later (top normal) models to upshift?

Thanks!
Old 08-13-22, 05:36 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
You might consider using a twist shifter like this one: https://www.microshift.com/models/dn85-8/
Old 08-13-22, 05:45 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Cranks turning when walking the bike can be an indication of a "snug" rear hub bearing, or of a not yet broken in hub in general. IGHs do have more internal drag then even a coaster hub does... The usual step is to service the bike with attention to hub axle adjustment and chain tension (or in reality, lack of tension). Checking our other IGH bikes to discover their cog drag might be interesting to help establish a base line. Andy
Old 08-13-22, 06:04 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
I loosened the left cone on my Nexus 7i with roller brake. There should be half a mm play at the rim. Grease it while you at at it.
Mine then coasted way farther.
Old 08-14-22, 03:15 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Bearings should be adjusted to have zero play. This gives the best load distribution among the bearing elements. See THIS (scroll down to image #19).
Also see THIS advice.
Old 08-14-22, 08:31 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
Bearings should be adjusted to have zero play. This gives the best load distribution among the bearing elements. See THIS (scroll down to image #19).
Also see THIS advice.
I will take a small grain of salt with this advice. I was taught that with an IGH (and this was in the era of SA AW and Shimano 333 hubs being the usual) a very slightly loose bearing adjustment was wanted. With the various internal parts meshing, rotating and revolving about each other and the 3 bearing design that these hubs used the life span, shifting ease, coast down and cog drag were all better than with a slightly "loose" adjustment. I'll admit that more modern IGhs might be better made and more tolerant of a no slop bearing adjustment. Andy (who just last week did a Nexus 8spd axle adjustment that freed up the coast down and stopped the cog drag when casting and who has seen very few SA AW cones pitted).
Old 08-14-22, 09:43 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
Actually, ALL my bearings have been set with play. Been doing it 53 years. I won't be stopping either.
Just checked the rattle on my SA XL-RD5w. It goes 46 mph EASILY. Last week it did 40 on a curved hill and I slammed on the drum brakes.
ZERO indication it's not good. My SA RD3 is the same. Neither has a speck of pitting.
My CCM front hub will spin 3 minutes and rock back and forth another minute.

What HAS shown wear, are pedals that came too tight. There's even more need for them to be a bit loose.
Old 08-20-22, 07:56 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
AARON GOSS has this to say about bearing play (speaking of the Alfine-11):
"The hub is adjusted the same as any cup-and-cone hub. However, to do an accurate job, the right side of the axle needs to be clamped in a vise. Then just take out the play and lock down the locknut. Double check your adjustment at the rim for play. You want to just eliminate the play. While a little play is OK, too much will damage the races or cause other internal problems. A tiny amount of play is OK. However that recommendation is for old hubs. Modern high-quality hubs like Shimano should be adjusted with no play." (Bold is mine)
(SOURCE)
Old 10-20-23, 02:46 PM
dotyj

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm installing a new Alfine 8 speed IGH on my handcycle. There is a lot of wheel drag, I've not adjusted anything.

How tight is too tight?
Old 10-20-23, 04:25 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 165 Posts
My Alfine 11 has no play at the axle.
Crank is stationary when bike is pushed.
Shift reluctance generally a sign oil needs adding and/or changing, presuming the shift cable tension is correct..

IDK if the 8 differs meaningfully from the 11.