Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Salsa Alternator Dropouts

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 11-30-22, 08:42 AM
frogshawn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts

I would like to lengthen the chain stays on my 2015 El Mariachi using the alternator dropouts. Will I need to lengthen my chain as well? I am assuming I will. Thanks
Old 11-30-22, 08:58 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
It'd be easier to figure that out after it's been done. There is always the possibility that you might not, depending on whether the chain was sized to it's minimum length or whether the person that installed it left it on the long side.

If the cost of a new chain bothers you, then you probably shouldn't be doing this.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-30-22, 09:38 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,432 Times in 1,345 Posts
You can get a good estimate of the answer as follows.

1- for every inch you move the wheel back you'll need 2 inches of chain (4 links )

2- to see whether the chain is long enough, shift into the big/big combination, the pull the lower loop forward by that number of links. if the RD still has room, you're OK.

This doesn't mean you'll have the optimal length chain, just that it's long enough to work.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 11-30-22, 09:44 AM
frogshawn

Originally Posted by FBinNY
You can get a good estimate of the answer as follows.

1- for every inch you move the wheel back you'll need 2 inches of chain (4 links )

2- to see whether the chain is long enough, shift into the big/big combination, the pull the lower loop forward by that number of links. if the RD still has room, you're OK.

This doesn't mean you'll have the optimal length chain, just that it's long enough to work.
Thanks for the constructive feedback. I will give it a try.
Old 11-30-22, 09:45 AM
frogshawn

Originally Posted by Iride01
It'd be easier to figure that out after it's been done. There is always the possibility that you might not, depending on whether the chain was sized to it's minimum length or whether the person that installed it left it on the long side.

If the cost of a new chain bothers you, then you probably shouldn't be doing this.
Price of a new chain is not an issue. Thanks