Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Do you obey traffic signals?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-18, 11:09 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 390 Posts
Yes.

Full disclosure: Sometimes it's only so I can retain the moral high ground when asked exactly this question. But yes.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 02-15-18, 07:49 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
Originally from eastern Massachusetts, where running red lights at speed in your car has become some type of sport, it seems. As a result, I will still stop at red lights, and give myself a 1-2-3 count once it turns green, with a look both left and right, before I venture across an intersection. Most lights here in my new location are at major intersections, and the only time I will ignore a red is at some of the lights where a 'side road' crosses a more travelled route, and the light is tripped by sensors, which don't pick up the bike. You can either wait for a car to pull up beside you, or die from starvation waiting for the light to turn green. There, a prudent stop, wait, and then proceed against the light when it's safe is the only way.
I approach stop signs slightly differently, as most of them are on less travelled roads. If I'm approaching one, have a clear view of the intersecting roads, and there is no traffic, I'll do a 'slow and roll'.
Old 02-15-18, 08:14 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I don't ride well dead.
Old 02-15-18, 10:53 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by ccinnz
But but but... I thought laws were open to interpretation to cyclists!... am I wrong?
Here, they're not the same for cyclists as they are for cars. The speed limits don't apply to us, we're even exempt from the drink driving limit. Of course, that doesn't mean it's okay to ride at 40mph past a school at 3pm whilst drunk..

I'm pretty sure traffic lights apply to everyone, though.
Old 12-01-22, 08:01 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
I generally stop at lights unless it is very early in the morning and there is no one around.

However, here in Japan, bicycles can now legally ride on the pavement/side-walk slowly, or on the road.

So this leaves me in a quandary

What is okay to do at stop lights

For example, when using the left hand side of the road, as we do in Japan and the UK,

1) when approaching a T Junction with a turning to the right with a red light, I sometimes slow down, become a pedestrian, and rejoin the road after the lights, and effectively run the light.

2) when approaching a T Junction with a turning to the left with a red light, I very occasionally, slow down, cross the road as a pedestrian, move through the junction as a pedestrian, cross the road again as a pedestrian and, effectively, run the light.

3) When approaching T junctions, or crossroads, with a red and wanting to turn right, I quite often, or usually, become a pedestrian (or take the corner off the turn) and turn right on red lights.

4) When approaching T junctions, or crossroads, with a red and wanting to turn left, I sometimes become a pedestrian, cross the road, and then rejoin the road.

There may be more of these.

I almost always give way to cars in these situations.E.g. I do not make cars coming out of the side road wait for me if performing 2 (in fact if there were cars coming out of the side road, I would not perform 2). I let cars go first even when performing 3.

But feel almost sure that car drivers hate me for using my status as semi-pedestrian and 'car-part-of-the-road' user.

Last edited by timtak; 12-01-22 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Added 4 , added red lights in 2, added crossroads to 3
Old 12-03-22, 11:50 AM
MVTee

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Roll 3.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Never thought about this much as 100% of my riding is done on a MUP and or neighborhood so lights are a non-starter. We pass one of the 2 constables posted in the neighborhood all the time but i don't think it's happened at an intersection w/ a stop sign. I'm genuinely curious now if either would ticket/warn us for what we normally do in slowing down approaching the the intersection but rolling thru slowly if no cars were present.
Old 12-03-22, 04:06 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 330 Posts
Since the this thread started in 2018, Oklahoma law has changed. Bicycle operators may slow and proceed if clear at stop signs, and stop and proceed if clear at traffic lights.
Old 12-03-22, 04:49 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by coominya
I have always understood it. It's basic laziness coupled with a superiority complex
Also allowing the rider to do a quick acceleration and spend less time in the intersection. I've found the road past the intersection safer than the stretch between the stop lines. I can get to safety a lot faster and with less chance of slipping off a pedal if I stay strapped or cleated in and to do that, I must keep some forward speed. (Not a wheelstand whiz.)

No, I do not run stop lights and signs at speed and I am always prepared to stop but if I don't have to, I don't. More courteous to the drivers behind me also. Putt[ng a foot down is like turning off the ignition in a car. (And funny, there are new cars I gain a couple of feet on now while their motors restart on the green light.)
Old 12-03-22, 05:34 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 166 Posts
I don't "blow through them", but I rarely stop unless I have to.
Old 12-03-22, 06:14 PM
MVTee

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Decided to look up Texas statutes on Bikes and there were a couple noteworthy things
  • Yes i could get ticketed for rolling thru the intersection via Sec. 551.101. RIGHTS AND DUTIES. (a) A person operating a bicycle has the rights and duties applicable to a driver operating a vehicle under this subtitle, unless.... (insert a couple exceptions)
  • Cop could ticket you for not using a bike lane if there is one. Found on a texdot.gov page on bicycle safety "Because a bike is required to stay as far to the right as practicable, this could be interpreted to mean if there is bike lane, a cyclist would be required to ride in it, as it would be the far right side of the road." Sec. 551.103. OPERATION ON ROADWAY. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a person operating a bicycle on a roadway who is moving slower than the other traffic on the roadway shall ride as near as practicable to the right curb or edge of the roadway....
Old 12-03-22, 06:29 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 330 Posts
Originally Posted by MVTee
….. Found on a texdot.gov page on bicycle safety "Because a bike is required to stay as far to the right as practicable, this could be interpreted to mean if there is bike lane, a cyclist would be required to ride in it, as it would be the far right side of the road."...
I have this problem frequently with an unrideable bike lane on my commute. My policy is that if use of the bike lane is not safe, I do not use it. I take the lane at intersections if I need to prevent a right hook or to increase my conspicuity. In 18 years commuting in Texas, I have never been pulled over by law enforcement.

TXDOT as an organization has a strong windshield bias. Any concern they express for pedestrians and cyclists that I’ve seen is window dressing, and their advice is often slanted in favor of motor vehicle operations.

Last edited by flangehead; 12-03-22 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-03-22, 07:39 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
No!

I treat every intersection as unregulated, and ride accordingly. So, red or green, I'll slow, observe, and proceed when I judge it safe to do so.

My logic is very simple. Traffic signals are sort of a social contract. My green light is only meaningful if cross traffic drivers can be counted on to respect their red light. Since, they are not reliable enough based on the potential consequences, I consider the contract broken and ignore them.

BTW - the change to legal right on red has reinforced my opinion here, since I've had far too many instances of cars slowing or stopping then forgetting to yield right of way as I approach. This was always an issue at stop signs and merges, now it's everywhere.

To be clear, the above doesn't mean I "run" red lights, just that I proceed after observation and when I feel it's safe (for everybody) to do so.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 12-03-22, 09:34 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
FBinNY that sounds reasonable, this is bike forums please adjust your post to conform to the guidelines, you gotta be at least this crazy to enter. You know this!!! LOL

That is good advice be smart be aware of your surroundings it should be the case for any road user at all but sadly some don't.
Old 12-04-22, 11:57 AM
MVTee

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
I have this problem frequently with an unrideable bike lane on my commute. My policy is that if use of the bike lane is not safe, I do not use it. I take the lane at intersections if I need to prevent a right hook or to increase my conspicuity. In 18 years commuting in Texas, I have never been pulled over by law enforcement.

TXDOT as an organization has a strong windshield bias. Any concern they express for pedestrians and cyclists that I’ve seen is window dressing, and their advice is often slanted in favor of motor vehicle operations.
Hit the 5 post limit for the day so couldn't respond earlier but yeah i cut the FAQ answer abit short cause i didnt want to post a wall of text but it did say there were exceptions for not using it, safety being one of them. I just found it more noteworthy they could ticket you at all for not using the bike lane if they felt like being arseholes. For reference sake via txdot.gov:

Under the following conditions bicyclists may take the full lane of travel:
  • The person is passing another vehicle moving in the same direction
  • The person is preparing to turn left at an intersection or onto a private road or driveway
  • When there are unsafe conditions on the roadway, including fixed or moving objects, parked or moving vehicles, pedestrians, animals or surface hazards that prevents the person from safely riding next to the curb or edge of the roadway
  • The lane is of substandard width (less than 14 feet wide and not having a designated bicycle lane adjacent to that lane) making if unsafe for a bicycle and a motor vehicle to safely travel side by side
That last provision pretty much guarantees you'll never get ticketed inside the loop heh.
Old 12-05-22, 06:52 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
I don't run lights. I'll stop and proceed if safe.
unregulated four way stops, a qualified yes. If cars are present I won't run in front of them. If no cars are present, why am I stopping?
Old 12-06-22, 04:50 PM
SurferRosa
seńor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
No.

But I do treat others as I would want to be treated myself.
Old 12-07-22, 04:29 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
we're even exempt from the drink driving limit.
Old 12-07-22, 08:41 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
I will stop at a red light, then proceed if clear. Tend to roll through stop signs if no traffic. My riding partner tends to ignore everything and has come close to a wreck for failing to stop at a blind MUP intersection. I am often playing catch up because I stop or slow down when he doesn't.
Old 12-11-22, 12:24 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Always, in a a car or on a bike. Still uncomfortable with right on red.
Old 01-23-23, 11:58 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I venturing into forbidden area here but if you ride a 3 wheel device, you are more likely to obey traffic signals. Stopping is a nuisance, but on them, you just stop and stay clipped in, and ride straight off when the light turns green.
Old 01-23-23, 02:33 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by rydabent
I venturing into forbidden area here but if you ride a 3 wheel device, you are more likely to obey traffic signals. Stopping is a nuisance,...
I don't think you understand the mental processes here...

If you have the strength and agility to turn pedals foe even s few minutes, putting a toe down isn't any effort at all. Plus, I doubt that clipping in is a factor, though I'd revisit that if data showed that those who clip in are less likely to stop.

The reasons cyclists like me don't obey traffic signals is more related to lost momentum, and needless waiting around for nothing. In fact, I'd venture that many drivers would gladly proceed against a red when it seems safe, were it not for fear of a ticket.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 01-23-23, 02:41 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by rydabent
I venturing into forbidden area here but if you ride a 3 wheel device, you are more likely to obey traffic signals. Stopping is a nuisance,...
I don't think you understand the mental processes here...

If you have the strength and agility to turn pedals foe even s few minutes, putting a toe down isn't any effort at all. Plus, I doubt that clipping in is a factor, though I'd revisit that if data showed that those who clip in are less likely to stop.

The reasons cyclists like me don't obey traffic signals is more related to lost momentum, and needless waiting around for nothing. In fact, I'd venture that many drivers would gladly proceed against a red when it seems safe, were it not for fear of a ticket.

Old 01-24-23, 11:28 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY

It would be interesting to see who gives the right-of-way in this game of chicken when both stop sign-runners cross paths. Of better still, what kind of blame and finger-pointing are thrown at each other when a collision occurs.
Old 01-24-23, 12:15 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Daniel4
It would be interesting to see who gives the right-of-way in this game of chicken when both stop sign-runners cross paths. Of better still, what kind of blame and finger-pointing are thrown at each other when a collision occurs.
I posted earlier about my rules re: traffic signals. I disregard them and treat ALL intersections as unregulated, using common sense and courtesy, guided by experience. (see post 237 here)

I don't think about rights and/or possible finger pointing, and focus on avoiding collisions in the first place.
Old 01-24-23, 12:27 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
And then there are those who criticize nice-holes because they give up their right-of-way to let you run your red or stop sign.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.