Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Work bench question

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Work bench question

Old 12-03-22, 12:04 AM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 343 Posts
Work bench question

I am restoring an old table to be used as a work bench. It's fairly long, so there is enough space for for customizing. I am going to cover the top in rubber matting, but a friend suggested that part of the table top (where the vise will be mounted) should have steel laminate for heavier jobs.
Has anyone done this or have input on this plan?
Old 12-03-22, 12:23 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5764 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,404 Posts
I too am a fan of steel topped work benches. It's more durable, and easier to keep clean.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 12-03-22, 12:29 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Metal laminate? You can make a laminate with metal but it's kind of unusual. Usually "metal laminate" is formica that is surfaced to look like metal. You can buy benches made of 12 gauge stainless (solid sheet, not laminate). Durable. Bad for welding if you plan on welding. Surface can be a liittle bouncy. You could build a bench using solid maple (or more likely 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 strips glued together and planed and sanded. Very stiff. You could put the stainless sheet on top of the maple to give a very strong table with a rigid surface that wears well. If you are welding stuff the best table top is an old drill press or mill table of cast iron (or a new Acorn surface). This is because weld spatter sticks to stainless and carbon steel pretty bad.

Frankly, I'd go with a rock maple top for bike stuff. It will likely be very durable for most uses. Most bike stuff won't wear out a table like that for years. If you do stuff that starts wearing holes, add the plate.
Old 12-03-22, 07:19 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 1,521 Times in 725 Posts
I think the table will be fine for bike work.

I don't see many tables that are heavy and stable enough to support a big tough cheater-bar pulling and grunting job. Unless your table is that heavy, I wouldn't go for a metal top.
Old 12-03-22, 07:59 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
Best work tables are from industrial auctions for pennies on the dollar.

​​​​​​https://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auc...-id-bscas10020
Likes For dedhed:
Old 12-03-22, 08:05 AM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
I prefer wood and a topping if occasionally necessary.
Old 12-03-22, 09:23 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3487 Post(s)
Liked 2,906 Times in 1,765 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
I am going to cover the top in rubber matting
Rubber? Why??

A section of metal is fine (though for bikes, unnecessary). I’m building my bench now, and plan to put my vise on a corner so I can rotate it 90 degrees. Every shop I worked in had wood (or Masonite) bench tops. Paint them white so you can see small parts. I also edge my benches with aluminum angle “iron.”

Last edited by smd4; 12-03-22 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-03-22, 09:32 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
I like a wood top with a masonite surface that I can replace as needed due to wear or fluid soaking
Likes For dedhed:
Old 12-03-22, 09:45 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,914 Times in 2,545 Posts
I used to work as an engineer in a small shipyard. When I bought my house, I bought a vise and had the drafter who coded the plasma cutters model me a square the depth of the table and provide holes for the vise out of 1/2" steel. I loved it! Weighed about 100 pounds and that vise was rock steady. (House came with a work bench but it was old and tired; 60 yo house at purchase.)

Edit: a plus for wood surfaces - you can put sharp tools on it without thinking about it. Also cut items directly on the wood surface. (My current workbench doesn't have the steel plate but I made if from 3/4" ply on 4x4 legs; 2x4s on edge bolted to the legs as stiffeners. A 1/2" finish plywood for a top. After 20 years, I went out and bought a new top.) Vise and table can handle decent size pry bars. Bending metal with a 5 pound short handled sledge.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 12-03-22 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-03-22, 09:53 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
I would not suggest a rubber topped bench. Now having a sheet of a "rubber" that can be moved about as needed... I have one of the self healing cutting boards with layout lines on it on one of my bench tops. One bench is metal but it's the one that has the cutting matt on it. For my uses a metal top is a bit harsh, I like a wood top and all the other benches are plywood topped.

Tools | Flickr is an album of some of my tools with various work benches from over the years. Note that I have some using plumbing pipe as the base. These are very modular and easily broken down for moving.

I have mounted many vises on benches, never bothering to use any layer of anything under the vise. I find keeping the vise hold down bolts tight is enough to net have any bench top wear od any concern. Andy
Old 12-03-22, 10:00 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I would not suggest a rubber topped bench.
And I would not suggest an elaborately-patterned Persian rug as workshop flooring!
Old 12-03-22, 10:09 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I don't think your friend meant "steel laminate" as a surface material but to use a piece of steel under the vise instead of the rubber mat. I recommend getting a piece of 1/8" or thicker steel plate cut somewhat larger than the vise's footprint and drilled to match the vise's mounting holes. Then place the plate and vise on your table and drill completely through the table top using the holes as guides. Mount the vise with the largest diameter bolts that will fit, adding large thick washer under the table top, and the correct nuts. Be sure to cut away the rubber matting under this plate.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 12-03-22, 10:11 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
And I would not suggest an elaborately-patterned Persian rug as workshop flooring!
The rug is a fake. That version of my shop was two houses ago and had wall to wall carpeting over the concrete slab. The Persian rug was to better protect the wall to wall stuff. Andy
Old 12-03-22, 10:24 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by HillRider
I don't think your friend meant "steel laminate" as a surface material but to use a piece of steel under the vise instead of the rubber mat. I recommend getting a piece of 1/8" or thicker steel plate cut somewhat larger than the vise's footprint and drilled to match the vise's mounting holes. Then place the plate and vise on your table and drill completely through the table top using the holes as guides. Mount the vise with the largest diameter bolts that will fit, adding large thick washer under the table top, and the correct nuts. Be sure to cut away the rubber matting under this plate.
With bike repair, this is probably overkill.
Old 12-03-22, 11:02 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
My work bench is part of the bay in my basement, I had an old 3x4 butcher block table I used as the base, I added 2x4 on the side walls to support pieces of 3/4 finish grade plywood. Then I added the pegboard system (I inherited about 100 peg board hangers), added more, and had a good tool storage system. I installed the bench vise at one end. I much prefer working on a wood bench top.

Likes For Steve B.:
Old 12-03-22, 11:34 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

With bike repair, this is probably overkill.
Yes, it probably is if you are sure bike repair is all you will do. My vise is used for bike repair but also automobile repair, plumbing work, etc. Jobs that stress the vise more than any bike job is likely to.
Old 12-03-22, 12:14 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by HillRider
Yes, it probably is if you are sure bike repair is all you will do. My vise is used for bike repair but also automobile repair, plumbing work, etc. Jobs that stress the vise more than any bike job is likely to.
I’d probably destroy my vise before working on something that would require it to be mounted to a steel plate.
Old 12-03-22, 01:20 PM
Kevinti

Bikes: Time VXS Translink, State Bicycle Black Label V2 Single, Electra Beach Cruiser, Santana Tandem

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
I am a fan of hard wood working surfaces but I always keep a large commercial baking sheet on top to have a metal area for greasy tasks and also use sheet rubber to protect the wood and delicate times/tools. The baking sheets are also found at auctions. I have used large floor automobile drip pans in the past buy they aren't as nice as the baking sheets.
Old 12-03-22, 01:27 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
No rubber but metal to mount the vise is nice, we have done that at the shop for all of our vices and it is a good set up. We built our tables though so they are strong enough but if not, not a huge deal.

I would get some of the Wheels MFG or Park or other work mats for usage but the main top would either be finished food or metal or so sort of durable counter top material. Save the rubber for the floor.
Old 12-03-22, 04:32 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by veganbikes
the main top would either be finished food or metal
So I’m thinking you could lay down a layer of peanut brittle for a harder surface. However it might be little lumpy. Certainly more durable than a layer of ribeyes, though.
Old 12-03-22, 05:02 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
my choice is Wood under a Steel top with Cardboard on top of the steel to prevent scratches in expensive things owned by others. I've also used a welcome mat as extra cushion from time to time... Second choice is a Hardwood bench with cardboard as n easily swapped out grunge/drool catcher. Having an area of steel under the Vice is a bonus and is also fire proof for those tasks requiring welding , pounding, or Heat from a torch. A pure steel top with no underlayment is NOISY. and will scratch/scuff the crap out of expensive paint jobs.
Old 12-03-22, 05:05 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
So I’m thinking you could lay down a layer of peanut brittle for a harder surface. However it might be little lumpy. Certainly more durable than a layer of ribeyes, though.
My sister baked up some "green Mint" cookies once that defied destruction... the dogs even walked away, hungry and defeated.
Old 12-03-22, 05:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
LOL, my bad, I guess I shouldn't go on bike forums when I am hungry!! It was meant to be wood for those just joining us.

I made a delicious cashew brittle earlier this year though so tasty. I should make it again.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-03-22, 07:49 PM
HillRider

A good, durable bench top protector, no matter what the underlying surface material, is a cutting mat used by quilters and dressmakers. Olfa is one brand name and they are available in a variety of sizes from any quilt shop, Joann Fabrics stores, etc. These things are very cut resistant, tolerate grease and oil and are easy to clean. I have a 24"x 36"" one on my workbench that I inherited from my wife when she got a new one. They aren't cheap as a new one like mine is about $55 but they really last. Smaller ones like the 18"x24" are about half the cost.
Old 12-03-22, 11:38 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 343 Posts
Thanks for the input. The job is done. Some good ideas but money and time constraints nixed those ( I recycled as much as I could). The bench is not just for bike repairs, it is also my carpentry bench, my electrical bench, painting bench, etc. As the table is quite old, I wanted to protect the table top, and as the rubber matting is thin enough to be cut, I added the steel for heavier/cutting jobs. They are both easily replaceable. I am satisfied with the job. Now, need to work on the electrical
Cheers

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.