Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
Reload this Page >

What did you learn from PBP this year - Bike and gear Wise?

Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

What did you learn from PBP this year - Bike and gear Wise?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-19, 08:09 AM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
I don't think the weight is going to make a difference, but the feel of the bike might; I tried a few Surly's when looking for the bike that is now my randonneuring steed (although at the time I really just wanted to do my first century and credit-card/supported touring on it). I'm not a lightweight either -- 220#, sometimes a bit less at the height of the summer riding season, and the Surly's burly tubing still felt pretty dead to me. And my gravel bike, which is much beefier than my randonneuring one, also can sometimes feel like I'm dragging something uphill a bit. (I've taken the gravel bike on a hilly 200k with both dirt and paved climbs, so I guess it's also a randonneuring bike, but you know what I mean.)

Not sure I believe in planing, but there is something to the feel of lightweight steel tubing to me. (And by lightweight I mean calibrated to be lively for my weight; I'm sure my rando bike would be nothing special under a 150# rider, but it was built for me.)