Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Super Six Evo question

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Super Six Evo question

Old 04-14-21, 01:10 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Super Six Evo question

I've been thinking about buying a Super Six Evo. I currently ride a Guru Sidero (steel) and a CAAD 12. I really like both these bikes. I'm wondering what owners think of their Super Six Evo. Any advice and/or critiques would be appreciated. TIA
Old 04-14-21, 03:03 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
It's like most bikes, depends. You can never have too many bikes.

Go for it.

Last edited by aplcr0331; 04-29-21 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-14-21, 03:37 PM
waters60

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
I went from riding my beloved 1992 Merckx Century to the 2018 Synapse Di2. I really liked the Synapse but there seemed to be something missing. I bought my Super Six last March and swapped its 105 parts for the Di2 on the Synapse.
I love the Super Six! It is much more of a race bike; I would describe it as turning in tighter circles than the Synapse. It goes downhill with total confidence and climbs wonderfully with little discernible flex in the BB. I did swap my Campy Bora One tubular wheels over to the Super Six. It is a stiff bike but pays you back when you put effort into it. After 26 years on the Merckx it was a brave new world of carbon. There are countless frames and opinions, but I am happy with the Super Six. Only issue, which my bike shop and Cannondale resolved was fork flex that resulted in the front disc rubbing and no fix. They replaced the front fork, which stopped the problem, but I still wonder about QC that would result in such a difference in two different forks.
Aside from that, two thumbs up!
I must add that there was / is no Super Six Di2 in a non-High Mod version so I am lucky to have been able to swap over my Di2 group. Seems a bit shortsighted they don’t offer it that way; many people will not want to pay $ 7500.00+ for it in the high modulus and other race bikes are available with Di2 at a lower price point.
Old 04-14-21, 05:53 PM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
For the OP, are you looking for feedback on the latest SuperSix Evo models?

I've been riding a 2015 Hi-Mod frame in SRAM Red that I love. Frames of that time are going to handle more like the CAAD12. The SuperSix in general will feel snappier and twitchy in handling compared to a typical endurance or gravel bike.
Old 04-14-21, 08:27 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by waters60
I
I must add that there was / is no Super Six Di2 in a non-High Mod version so I am lucky to have been able to swap over my Di2 group. Seems a bit shortsighted they don’t offer it that way; many people will not want to pay $ 7500.00+ for it in the high modulus and other race bikes are available with Di2 at a lower price point.

Now where did you hear that Di2 in not available on the non high mod version. There has been and there still is non himod Di2. Could you be thinking about the System Six?

Last edited by Bmach; 04-14-21 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-15-21, 03:53 AM
waters60

Originally Posted by Bmach
Now where did you hear that Di2 in not available on the non high mod version. There has been and there still is non himod Di2. Could you be thinking about the System Six?
My faulty memory! I conflated the $ 6,00.00 price tag of the Di2 non high mod version with the 4,000.00 I paid for my Di2 Synapse. By swapping over the Di2 group I got a better deal..
Old 04-15-21, 05:40 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by aplcr0331
I've got an older model, 2016, and it's a great bike. It's my first carbon bike and rides quite a bit better than my Allez did. Feels reasonably light and maneuverable. I'm not a serious cyclist and I don't have much experience with bikes but I do really like this one. I think it matters more what wheels, tires, seat, etc. you have on it. Mine just has Shimano 105 on it but I did get the Cannondale SAVE saddlepost (carbon) which was a huge difference in ride comfort (and at first flex) from the alu-minnie-um saddlepost it came with.

I don't think you can go wrong with the frame it's popular for a reason. I have no experience with the new SSE, that has dropped seat stays. I think it still gets good reviews. You getting used or new?
Pretty sure new unless some killer deal on a newer one appeared.
Old 04-15-21, 05:45 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by oris
For the OP, are you looking for feedback on the latest SuperSix Evo models?

I've been riding a 2015 Hi-Mod frame in SRAM Red that I love. Frames of that time are going to handle more like the CAAD12. The SuperSix in general will feel snappier and twitchy in handling compared to a typical endurance or gravel bike.
Probably a new model. Both my Guru and CAAD 12 are what a racer friend calls "nervous." They respond quickly to any little input. Kind of like the difference between a Lotus Elan and say a BMW 5 series. I'm OK with that and I'm assuming that the Super Six will be more like the Lotus than the BMW.
Old 04-15-21, 09:33 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Absolutely loving my 2021 SuperSix Evo. Ride and handling are fantastic, can def feel the aero touches when you're hauling the mail, holds speed very well. Some people complain that it's not as light as it could be, but plenty of people have gotten them under 7kg with the right setup. Mine is about 8.1kg at the moment, but def don't feel any weight penalty, bike feels light and nimble when climbing or sprinting.

Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 04-16-21, 04:17 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Absolutely loving my 2021 SuperSix Evo. Ride and handling are fantastic, can def feel the aero touches when you're hauling the mail, holds speed very well. Some people complain that it's not as light as it could be, but plenty of people have gotten them under 7kg with the right setup. Mine is about 8.1kg at the moment, but def don't feel any weight penalty, bike feels light and nimble when climbing or sprinting.

That's beautiful. What component group and wheels?
Old 04-16-21, 11:41 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 979 Posts

May I ask whether this photo shows a cut steerer tube? I am also considering this bike (as a upgrade to a Synapse) but will probably need all spacers.
Old 04-16-21, 02:19 PM
Rides4Beer

Originally Posted by bruce19
That's beautiful. What component group and wheels?
Thanks! Shimano 105 at the moment, will be upgrading to Ultegra di2 later. The wheels are Light Bicycle AR56 w/DT240EXP hubs.

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
May I ask whether this photo shows a cut steerer tube? I am also considering this bike (as a upgrade to a Synapse) but will probably need all spacers.
It's been cut, stock it comes with a lot of spacers, prob 40mm or more, it's a big stack. I know my fit so I had the shop cut the steerer when they built it.
Old 04-16-21, 06:23 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

It's been cut, stock it comes with a lot of spacers, prob 40mm or more, it's a big stack. I know my fit so I had the shop cut the steerer when they built it.
Thank you, that's good to know. My Synapse came with 3x 5mm spacer, a 15mm spacer, plus the funnel shaped piece; now that is a big stack of spacers.
Old 04-17-21, 05:20 AM
bruce19

Thanks! Shimano 105 at the moment, will be upgrading to Ultegra di2 later. The wheels are Light Bicycle AR56 w/DT240EXP hubs.

Have you ever weighed your bike as it sits? I should have mentioned that I am having what I suspect is the beginning of a hip issue. Very minor but I suspect some sort of arthritis. The last time I was out on the CAAD 12 I hit some cobbled type roads and it was not pleasant. I am guessing that the CF frame will be more forgiving. To be clear the AL frame has never been an issue and I have found it to be comfortable. So, it's my changing body and not the AL frame that is at issue. Just hoping I might buy some additional comfort.
Old 04-17-21, 07:12 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Just hoping I might buy some additional comfort.
If Trek frames work for you, take a look at the Domane with the adjustable ISO Speed. It really does a great job at absorbing vibration and bumps. It is on the heavy side and is not as nimble as a race frame
Likes For colnago62:
Old 04-17-21, 12:38 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Just hoping I might buy some additional comfort.
A Cannondale SAVE seat post can help; it is definitely a noticeable improvement over the aluminum C3 post that came with my bike. (I weigh 200 lbs.) It is readily available in the 27.2 mm diameter. Or consider the Canyon / Ergon split seat post
Old 04-17-21, 04:30 PM
waters60

Have you ever weighed your bike as it sits? I should have mentioned that I am having what I suspect is the beginning of a hip issue. Very minor but I suspect some sort of arthritis. The last time I was out on the CAAD 12 I hit some cobbled type roads and it was not pleasant. I am guessing that the CF frame will be more forgiving. To be clear the AL frame has never been an issue and I have found it to be comfortable. So, it's my changing body and not the AL frame that is at issue. Just hoping I might buy some additional comfort.
I would not count on the Super Six being more forgiving. It is a race bike and definitely stiffer than the Synapse.
Old 04-17-21, 04:37 PM
waters60

Heads up about converting from 105 to Di2. You will need the little carbon fiber piece that houses the Di2 charging port and interface. I found one a year ago; it was the missing part of the puzzle. If you call around to shops that sell Cannondale Super Sixes you might find it. When they are shipped to the shop the piece is included with the build kit and not used if a non Di2 group is installed.
Old 04-17-21, 05:31 PM
bruce19

I would not count on the Super Six being more forgiving. It is a race bike and definitely stiffer than the Synapse.
The Synapse is not a part of my equation. I would be going from a CAAD 12 to the Super Six.
Old 04-17-21, 06:45 PM
waters60

The Synapse is not a part of my equation. I would be going from a CAAD 12 to the Super Six.
In any event, it is stiff.
Old 04-18-21, 06:58 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
I love mine, but it's a 2014 SuperSix Evo 3 with Ultegra components. I have a lot of miles on it and continue to enjoy it.
Old 04-19-21, 04:06 PM
Rides4Beer

Should be around 8.1kg at the moment, I'll be putting some Hollowgram Si arms on soon and I'll weigh it again after.

Heads up about converting from 105 to Di2. You will need the little carbon fiber piece that houses the Di2 charging port and interface. I found one a year ago; it was the missing part of the puzzle. If you call around to shops that sell Cannondale Super Sixes you might find it. When they are shipped to the shop the piece is included with the build kit and not used if a non Di2 group is installed.
Yup, it came with the bike when I bought it, and I held onto it knowing that I would eventually go di2.
Old 04-19-21, 06:05 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

In any event, it is stiff.
I wish there was a uniform way to measure frame stiffness (across different brands and different models) so that frames could be compared.
Old 04-19-21, 07:07 PM
Rides4Beer

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I wish there was a uniform way to measure frame stiffness (across different brands and different models) so that frames could be compared.
All I know is that while still being comfortable, my SSE has the best feeling of power transfer of any bike I've ridden, my previous 2019 Tarmac SL6 probably being the closest competitor, it was no slouch, but I think the SSE is better. I'm 84kg and make good power, and when I stomp on it, she just goes, feels like every bit of my power is going straight to the pavement. That's good enough for me.
Old 04-20-21, 04:28 AM
bruce19

Should be around 8.1kg at the moment, I'll be putting some Hollowgram Si arms on soon and I'll weigh it again after..
My CAAD 12 w/105 weighs 8.05 with nothing on it but the Speedplay Zeros. But, that is after I swapped out those Mavic Aksiums for Mavic Ksyrium Elite USTs. I ordered some 28s so I'm thinking it will be even more comfortable. I'd love to see it's weight with SRAM Red mechanical. Good luck with your upgrades. I do love the look of your bike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.