Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Can bike riding help lose weight?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Can bike riding help lose weight?

Old 06-10-21, 08:38 PM
GBK233

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced 2, 2020 Giant Contend AR1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 34 Posts
Yes, it can. 10 miles a day for the last few months. I’m down 39lbs
Likes For GBK233:
Old 06-12-21, 08:48 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
No, it cannot.

I have been riding my Workswell since 2015 and it hasn't lost a pound.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 06-13-21, 09:57 AM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
Since I started riding everyday on my Wahoo Kickr I have lost 65 lbs. it gets addicting to ride every day. I feel bad on the days when life gets in a ride.
Old 06-13-21, 10:14 AM
Cpn_Dunsel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 61 Posts
Olive oil significantly better and heathier than Canola oil.

Olive oil is the heathiest of all plant oils., Canola not as much. It has a higher smoke point so it is popular for cooking but it is not as healthy and is really not 'good' for humans. Canola oil is generally recognized as safe by the FDA but there are some concerns with it, especially after it has been over heated.

The process of canola manufacturing causes a change in its chemical structure. This process makes the oil solid at room temperature and extends shelf life but also creates artificial trans fats, which differ from the natural trans fats found in foods like dairy and meat products. Artificial trans fats are harmful to health and have been widely linked to heart disease, prompting many countries to ban their use in food products

Right now, the latest and most current scientific and nutritional shows that olive oil is a better choice than canola. The science on canola is not settled and it may not be as 'good' for human consumption as marketing has led us to believe.
Old 06-13-21, 12:45 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
...My friend cycled daily around the area where she lived but did not seem to notice the weight loss
This is a touchy subject but here goes my $.02 cents and no need to bash me. Women are different than men as far as weight reduction. "Typically", it's more "challenging" for women to lose weight doing the same exercise as men for the same period of time at the same effort. If you ride 50 miles a week and lose 10 lbs after one month of riding, your friend may only lose 5 lbs. or less. It's just a physiological thing.

Most humans only lose weight when the calories being used are more than the calories eaten. Each person's metabolism is different. Me? I lose weight at the drop of the hat even at 63. I'm down 25 lbs from the beginning of the year after I ended my "Covid fortification eating regimen".

Long ago I stopped telling my lovely wife of 28 years how much weight I lost riding. She's just, "not interested". She did say the other day though that, "Those shorts look big on you". Progress!!
Old 06-14-21, 02:19 AM
EliasGoodman

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed Wiser
Since I started riding everyday on my Wahoo Kickr I have lost 65 lbs. it gets addicting to ride every day. I feel bad on the days when life gets in a ride.
I don't think it's an addiction to ride, but every ride will make us feel more comfortable.
Old 06-14-21, 02:20 AM
EliasGoodman

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
No, it cannot.

I have been riding my Workswell since 2015 and it hasn't lost a pound.
If not, then it's definitely because your diet is completely inappropriate.