Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Cycliq camera/light - garbage

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Cycliq camera/light - garbage

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-21, 02:08 PM
LilBrother

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Celebrated when my Cycliq Fly 12 CE finally bit the dust beyond repair as it kept breaking in one way or another over and over and over and over and over and over and over. and over. The mounts are crap pieces of plastic that I kid you not have broken over 6 times for me. The GoPro mount is the only one I got to work and it still broke twice. Finally after a year and a half and out of warranty, the battery is shot and won't take a charge at all. I had to buy a new $60 SIM card just to verify this was the case.

I've been researching this for the past 3-4 years and originally went with Cycliq because of Team Shop deal and the idea of bluetooth app capabilities. I'm telling you here and now that the only time you will use the app is to setup your camera/light settings. It is completely useless for downloading any video. Don't even waste your time. Just take the card out and upload to laptop if you need it. For real, it's not so much a Cycliq problem here though. All action cams that come with an App to download and edit and share video are kind of crap and it's just because that video is way too big to bluetooth to your phone, hold in ram and then edit. Even your laptop will struggle editing these videos later if that shows you any idea what is being asked here. Not Cycliq's fault per say, but a bit of a false advertisement if you ask me. Wish someone would have posted this for me to find, so I created an account just to do that. Cheers!

RECOMMENDATION:

Drift Ghost XL + NiteRider Light (Or any other 3rd party you know and like) to match your needs. + Optional 3rd Party Mounts

Motorcyclists have been using Drift Ghost X camera for years. I have no idea why it has caught on more in bicycle circles. Also it seems to be a little more aero than a big block on the front of your bike. If I don't mention a feature it's because they both do it or it's not important for bike safety/commuting. Resolution is said to even be better on the edges as far as details go on the Ghost which for License plates is a good thing.

Drift Ghost XL: $150; 8-9 Hours of Batt Life, 1080p, Waterproof, 133g usable with any camera screw in mount (I use a metal one that adapts to GoPro off Amazon for $7)

Drift Ghost X: $99; 5 Hours of Battery life (you can add a batt pack to extend it to 8-9 hours for $30), Water resistant, 120g, usable with any camera screw in mount

Cycliq Fly 12 CE: $250; 8 hours of Battery Life (until its nothing in my case after not even 2 years), Waterproof, 195g, mounts are trash (fly to Mallorca for a trip to film biking and it broke as soon as I got on bike. had to duct tape it on), comes with a light but not near the quality of a NiteRider. I would much rather just add my own light and save the weight.

GoPro (Any Version): Nothing near 5 hours let alone 8 hours of battery life so I don't even bother. If. you are filming 1.5 hour long crit races or just a cool trail or something specific, then yeah check it out, but for commuting and long ride day safety purposes, that's a GTFO of here for me.

-Also, if for some reason you feel you'd like to have 4k for YouTube production purposes they have one of those as well that is also compatible with Huawei phones which we have no use for here in the US.
-Also, search for a discount code
Likes For LilBrother:
Old 04-22-21, 09:27 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,349 Times in 936 Posts
The Drift Ghost XL seems to me to be the best option now.
  • ​​​​​​It's compact.
  • Has a long run time.
  • Can turn on multiple cameras at the same time (from one camera or a BT button).
  • Fairly flexible mounting options.
But it should have image stabilization.
And the battery should be replaceable (even if you have to take it apart).
Old 08-10-21, 09:25 PM
duke_of_hazard

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
There's a used Cycliq front and rear camera for sale but I am confused how old it is? The models are Cycliq Fly6 CE601C and Cycliq Fly12 CE122 . Are these from 2015 or latest and greatest?
Old 08-12-21, 10:55 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Curious, how long should we expect these things to last?

My Campark V30 action camera is approaching 1 year old and it's showing faults. The date and time has to be reset after changing the battery. I wrote to Campark and they said that warranties only apply to Amazon orders. I bought it directly from their website but the delivery was in an Amazon box only a few days later.

Not that I'm going shopping again, I can live with this bug until it finally dies. But if people are having problems with Cycliq what brand can you rely on?
Old 08-13-21, 01:23 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
Cyclic seems to have a problem with lemons. They sometimes don't handle it well. I am not sure anyone is better
Old 04-18-22, 09:27 AM
Cdcice

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fly 12 CE tear down for battery replacement

I have looked high and low on how to remove the case on the fly12CE. It appears it comes apart from the rear and case slides off from back side. I know my battery is bad but can’t get the case off and I don’t want to damage case. Has any one attempted to remove case?
Old 04-11-24, 04:46 PM
chain_whipped

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 229 Posts
Cycliq P.O.S. hacks, destroy or enjoy thread

Sort of reviving this thread because its more for the no mercy of this Cycliq products and those whom feel got screwed.

Why not get a little revenge, hack the product, firmware, components whatever before tossing to the greenfascist nightmare landfills?!

I'm doing a bit in stages. Firstly, the already obsolete Fly 12CE is NOT a connected device, the company removed that feature in an update. Useless anyways. The ANT+ no mo sucks. The bluetooth talk to a mobile app will just get one to play with settings. Tinkertoy.

Without jumping ahead and stating plans, for now just explaining my variance usage and how to for the Fly 12CE as a rear cam.

Personally don't care for the extra distraction and devices for the radar / tail lamps. I have a bar end mirror with very good optics and good given hearing.

64gb SD card for loop recording, 5 min segments, the 30fps with image stab active.

The limited batt life can be extended by a remote slave battery and USB C cable. The Fly's door if open, will not operate the cam on mine and trigger switched. I'm working on a modified door so as to use the slave battery while riding. Not for use in rain. Should note, my rear setup as with a saddle bag, slave battery in the bag side pocket. Images from cam is clear of any bag obstruction. This particular bike is also getting a wired in constant lit tail lamp powered by dyno hub with capacitor. The tail lamp will be behind and lower section of the bag.

Obviously the Fly 12 CE has a headlamp and pretty decent, better than the latest offered, Sport. Tested at night is excellent for rear yet illegal for road traffic. The other fault of these Cycliq used as designed for front is useless capturing reflective license plates. So, in my rear application, I'm experimenting with portional red / clear lens covering. No strobe setting. I hate strobe flashing.

As for mounting, trash the Cycliq junk mount. Convert to the universally accepted Garmin type. Couple of bucks from Amazon. Add $1 for super glue, drill, screw, prep with a little sandpaper and 10 minutes of your time. Also, the rear saddle rail mount is aluminum only, blue Loctite for the mounting screws. No more crapplastix.

Enough for now. What's your hack of this good idea company but crap follow through?

Old 04-12-24, 10:35 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Would you like some dip to go along with that chip on your shoulder?
Old 04-12-24, 02:11 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
01-10-18, 06:22 PM (first post date)