Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek Verve 3 disc Acera upgraded to Deore Rear Derailleur WOW

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-21, 10:13 AM
Rick53

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

I recently was having issues with my fairly New Trek Verve 3 Disc w/Acera RD. I ran across a clearance priced Deore RD. So I thought I'd try it instead of just replacing the Acera .

WOW what a difference . At least it seems to be . Makes me wonder if there would be as much benefit to a better crank and front mech. From what I can tell about cassettes. When sticking to the same size. It seems to be more of a weight issue vs function . Crank quality seems to make the largest difference in Bike operation. I have several bikes . Even a Specialized E-bike . I have never bothered to upgrade parts . Since I own enough bikes I don't seem to wear parts out that fast. Mostly chain replacements . So doing an upgrade on one to see might be worth the effort.

Buttt my experience with this essentially minor upgrade to the next level . Really makes me wonder .

Has anyone upgraded their parts on a Hybrid Bike ? I'm not really look to change gear ratios. While that works . It can lead to a nightmare of troubles and adjustments I don't want to bother with .

I also just purchased a set of Cookie ratcheted QR Skewers . They also seem to have made a noticeable difference in how far I coast . That isn't imagination as I switched back and forth several times to test it.

Hopefully someone has upgraded their hybrid who will reply . Thank You

Last edited by Rick53; 09-10-21 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-10-21, 10:39 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Some of us have upgraded our hybrids many many many times.

https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...-today-49.html I just replaced the drivetrain on my Scott Sub Cross as seen in this thread.

Don't believe you are going to feel a significant difference with upgrading the crankset, unless your considering changing the chainrings. From my experiences, there isn't a profound difference in the Altus, Acera and Alivio front mech.

The cassette, I would suggest once you have the Shimano HG200 worn out (and it does wear out, in my case easily), to replace it with a HG400 instead. Costs a few dollars more, but you will notice smoother shifting since the HG400 has better guides along the rings for the chain.
Old 09-10-21, 12:35 PM
Rick53

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
Some of us have upgraded our hybrids many many many times.

https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...-today-49.html I just replaced the drivetrain on my Scott Sub Cross as seen in this thread.

Don't believe you are going to feel a significant difference with upgrading the crankset, unless your considering changing the chainrings. From my experiences, there isn't a profound difference in the Altus, Acera and Alivio front mech.

The cassette, I would suggest once you have the Shimano HG200 worn out (and it does wear out, in my case easily), to replace it with a HG400 instead. Costs a few dollars more, but you will notice smoother shifting since the HG400 has better guides along the rings for the chain.
What is the HG50 -Appears to be more expensive Is there a place I can go to look at comparisons . Or a Forum that is more specialized towards Mechanics then this one is ?
Old 09-10-21, 01:08 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick53
What is the HG50 -Appears to be more expensive Is there a place I can go to look at comparisons . Or a Forum that is more specialized towards Mechanics then this one is ?
Current HG50 appears to be more a Shimano Sora cassette, with the gearing range:

https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/produ...CS-HG50-9.html

Where as the HG400 Alivio has gearing more for a mountain bikes, but realistically, hybrids since most mountain bikes nowadays use a very different gearing system.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/produ...S-HG400-9.html