Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bridgestone RB-2

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bridgestone RB-2

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-21, 02:43 PM
mishmasher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bridgestone RB-2

Greetings Cyclopoids!

I am the proud new owner of a Cherry Red Bridgestone RB-2, 60cm, which I understand is not worth anything more than $200. The Reno Bike Project made a pretty profit on me (bought it for $275) and I am glad, I love that place. Anybody within 100 miles would do themselves service to stop in and rifle through the bins. The value of the joyful exuberance for cycling I have rediscovered more than compensates for any dollar I paid over the "Blue Book" price.

I am hoping that somebody can help me with identifying the year and other origins of this bicycle. Under the BB reads: M9J 27987. It might have a dash: M-9J 27987.

Trying to get a photo up, but the internet is failing me. Cherry red frame, yellow and white stripes that are above and below the vertical lettering "RB-2" on seat tube. Synergy in caligraphic letters on the top tube. Looks like Suntour XCM front and rear derailleurs, NGC brakes. I am starting to figure that the frame may be the only thing that is Bridgestone original.....

At the base of the seat tube are stickers: Tange MTB for the tubing, Made in Taiwan.

Any clues would be much appreciated. Thank you! Tk
Old 09-12-21, 04:41 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by mishmasher
I am hoping that somebody can help me with identifying the year and other origins of this bicycle. Under the BB reads: M9J 27987. It might have a dash: M-9J 27987...
The serial number indicates that it was contract manufactured for Bridgestone by Merida of Taiwan during October 1989. Normally, something manufactured that late in the calendar year would represent the 1990 model year. If it has vertical rear dropouts and a unicrown fork, then it is the 1990 model
Old 09-12-21, 05:13 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,570 Times in 3,767 Posts
Posts moved to their own thread.

Old 09-12-21, 05:19 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,570 Times in 3,767 Posts
1990 RB-2 catalog page

Old 09-12-21, 05:44 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,643 Times in 2,602 Posts
"Tange MTB for the tubing"? That doesn't seem right.
Old 09-12-21, 06:28 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,248 Times in 1,308 Posts
Originally Posted by mishmasher

I am the proud new owner of a Cherry Red Bridgestone RB-2, 60cm, which I understand is not worth anything more than $200. The Reno Bike Project made a pretty profit on me (bought it for $275) and I am glad, I love that place. Anybody within 100 miles would do themselves service to stop in and rifle through the bins. The value of the joyful exuberance for cycling I have rediscovered more than compensates for any dollar I paid over the "Blue Book" price.
Don't fret over Bicycle Blue Book values. Bridgestones are often more expensive than other brands due to cool factor and the cult of Grant Peterson (I call this the Bridgestone Tax). $275 for an RB-2 in the pandemic sounds like a fine deal to me.
Likes For Clang:
Old 09-12-21, 07:05 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
"Tange MTB for the tubing"? That doesn't seem right.
I'm thinking it has to do with the "oversize downtube" as shown in the catalog page.
Old 09-13-21, 08:00 PM
mishmasher

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Serial number, components, pricing

Many thanks to everybody who replied, I really appreciate ya'll sharing of your knowledge.

I am amazed that T-Mar knew just how to interpret the serial number. How did you know this? I could not find any information such as this with basic Google searches, little to nothing in forums about a Bridgestone serial number starting with M. Perhaps I need to diversify my search platforms, hone in my search skills. But I came here and what turns up?!

Knowing the year, of course we can find the catalogue where my frame appears. Thanks again to T-Mar as I was looking in the 1989 catalogue, the M-9J sending me to a year ending in 9. All hail sheldonbrown.com! Indeed, the red and calligraphy lettering "Synergy" in the tiny snapshot of the top tube looks just like mine. (I will send some photos when I am allowed to, I have to make 10 posts first.)

As well I will send a photo of the sticker indicating Tange MTB.

Now with the catalogue I can compare my components to the original. Definitely not OEM on my bike. Handlebars and stem definitely changed, cranks have a Specialized ring(!).....It was from a co-op so perhaps it was just the frame that was donated. At any rate, I am loving riding this thing, ready for a Rivendell, someday.

Also thank you for chiming in on the price. I felt it was worth it for me to have the Bridgestone, Peterson geometry, totally affordable IMO, if not worth the cult following value. Tk
Old 09-14-21, 12:28 PM
Ronsonic 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
[QUOTE}

I am amazed that T-Mar knew just how to interpret the serial number. How did you know this? I could not find any information such as this with basic Google searches, little to nothing in forums about a Bridgestone serial number starting with M. Perhaps I need to diversify my search platforms, hone in my search skills. But I came here and what turns up?!
[/QUOTE]

I know, right. Just amazing what people here can tell you.
Old 09-14-21, 12:57 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Pretty bike. Completely worth $275.