Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Heat shrink tube; how much heat can brake wire casing take?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-09-21, 04:48 PM
tbenjaminsen

Bikes: 2014 Mondraker Factor XR 29er, 2017 BMC SpeedFox 01 XT/XTR, 2017 BMC Teammachine SLR01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I’m looking to clean up the final wiring on my recent road bike build, and I’d like to use heat shrink tubing to combine the brake wire casing and Di2 cable between the steerer and the entry point at the head tube.

How much heat can really an ordinary Shimano brake wire casing take – not to mention the Di2 cable?

I’ve seen it done, I’m just looking for qualified views on if the casing or the cable might take damage from the heat necessary to start the shrinking process.

I’ll be using a heat gun for the purpose.
Old 09-09-21, 08:25 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I work in the electronics and aerospace industry and have never seen any kind of wire or cable damaged by the heat shrink process. Having said that my preferred method of bundling wires and cables is by using waxed flat lacing tape. The best method of making a "spot tie" is to make a clove hitch over the bundle then lock it by tying a square knot over it.
The running knot type is sexier but takes more practice. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_lacing These methods are far superior to using zip ties; they are lighter, less bulky and less prone to damage the wiring. Unless you make spacecraft harnesses for a living a spool will last a lifetime: https://www.cabletiesandmore.com/nylon-lacing-tape Also works for strapping cables or hoses along the frame and won't scratch your skin or damage the paint like zip ties.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 09-09-21, 08:34 PM
BHG6

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 73 Posts
The cables/housings can easily take the heat required to activate heat-shrink tubing (really doesn't take much). I used it to secure a Di2 wire to the rear brake cable on my G6 - works like a charm and it keeps the cables nice and organized
Likes For BHG6:
Old 09-10-21, 12:35 AM
tbenjaminsen

Bikes: 2014 Mondraker Factor XR 29er, 2017 BMC SpeedFox 01 XT/XTR, 2017 BMC Teammachine SLR01

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
I work in the electronics and aerospace industry and have never seen any kind of wire or cable damaged by the heat shrink process.
Originally Posted by BHG6
The cables/housings can easily take the heat required to activate heat-shrink tubing (really doesn't take much). I used it to secure a Di2 wire to the rear brake cable on my G6 - works like a charm and it keeps the cables nice and organized
Thanks to the both of you!
I'm now assured that the heat won't damage neither Di2 cable nor brake cable, so I'll go ahead with the clean-up job this weekend.

-Tom
Old 09-10-21, 12:43 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 191 Posts
I work in the electronics and aerospace industry and have never seen any kind of wire or cable damaged by the heat shrink process. Having said that my preferred method of bundling wires and cables is by using waxed flat lacing tape. The best method of making a "spot tie" is to make a clove hitch over the bundle then lock it by tying a square knot over it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_IM844c9SE The running knot type is sexier but takes more practice. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_lacing These methods are far superior to using zip ties; they are lighter, less bulky and less prone to damage the wiring. Unless you make spacecraft harnesses for a living a spool will last a lifetime: https://www.cabletiesandmore.com/nylon-lacing-tape Also works for strapping cables or hoses along the frame and won't scratch your skin or damage the paint like zip ties.
Brings back memories of lacing cables to ladder rack using waxed cord, it was an art. (Former NY Tel technician)

Likes For JoeTBM:
Old 09-10-21, 04:46 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by tbenjaminsen
I’ll be using a heat gun for the purpose.
I use a cigarette lighter (Bic, I don't smoke, I keep it in my toolbox just for this). Keep it moving, the tubing will shrink pretty quickly. No zipties are necessary. Heat guns, in my experience are simply like using a sledgehammer to drive a wire brad to hang a picture.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 09-10-21, 05:29 AM
BHG6

Originally Posted by Badger6
I use a cigarette lighter (Bic, I don't smoke, I keep it in my toolbox just for this). Keep it moving, the tubing will shrink pretty quickly. No zipties are necessary. Heat guns, in my experience are simply like using a sledgehammer to drive a wire brad to hang a picture.
I use a BIC as well - A heat gun is a bit overkill for heat-shrink
Likes For BHG6:
Old 09-10-21, 06:04 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 343 Posts
But you have to thread the cables through the heat shrink tube, then heat it. So the wires and cable housing needs to be detached at one end to slide the heatshrink on.

Instead, I used self fusing silicone tape, (also known as "rescue tape"). I bundled the left and right shifter wires with the wire heading toward the frame downtube. It's a nice, neat loop near the stem junction box, and has lasted for 7 years now! This tape is stretchy and only sticks to itself--there's no adhesive to bleed out later. Cut a small strip, stretch it a bit and wrap it around, and press the layers together with your fingers to fuse it together. I keep the remainder of the roll in a ziploc bag so it stays clean, and it's been useful for other repairs.

I didn't attach the Di2 wire to the brake cable -- I don't think that's a good idea, since they likely move independently when the bars are turned all the way. Try some masking tape to temporarily bundle them together, and see if it's practical, or if the wire gets pulled too far.

Last edited by rm -rf; 09-10-21 at 06:11 PM.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 09-10-21, 06:17 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

I work in the electronics and aerospace industry and have never seen any kind of wire or cable damaged by the heat shrink process. Having said that my preferred method of bundling wires and cables is by using waxed flat lacing tape. The best method of making a "spot tie" is to make a clove hitch over the bundle then lock it by tying a square knot over it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_IM844c9SE The running knot type is sexier but takes more practice. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_lacing These methods are far superior to using zip ties; they are lighter, less bulky and less prone to damage the wiring. Unless you make spacecraft harnesses for a living a spool will last a lifetime: https://www.cabletiesandmore.com/nylon-lacing-tape Also works for strapping cables or hoses along the frame and won't scratch your skin or damage the paint like zip ties.
Originally Posted by JoeTBM
Brings back memories of lacing cables to ladder rack using waxed cord, it was an art. (Former NY Tel technician)
As used on the Mars rover Curiosity! Knots on Mars

It might surprise most people to learn that multitudes of knots tied in cords and thin ribbons have probably traveled on every interplanetary mission ever flown. If human civilization ends tomorrow, interplanetary landers, orbiters, and deep space probes will preserve evidence of both the oldest and newest of human technologies for thousands, if not millions of years.

Last edited by rm -rf; 09-10-21 at 06:21 PM.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 09-10-21, 06:48 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
As used on the Mars rover Curiosity! Knots on Mars

It might surprise most people to learn that multitudes of knots tied in cords and thin ribbons have probably traveled on every interplanetary mission ever flown. If human civilization ends tomorrow, interplanetary landers, orbiters, and deep space probes will preserve evidence of both the oldest and newest of human technologies for thousands, if not millions of years.
I've got a bunch laying on the bottom of the ocean(s).
Sea Tech Transmisometers & Fluorometers. (the old ones)
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 09-11-21, 02:54 AM
tbenjaminsen

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
But you have to thread the cables through the heat shrink tube, then heat it. So the wires and cable housing needs to be detached at one end to slide the heatshrink on.

Instead, I used self fusing silicone tape, (also known as "rescue tape"). I bundled the left and right shifter wires with the wire heading toward the frame downtube. It's a nice, neat loop near the stem junction box, and has lasted for 7 years now! This tape is stretchy and only sticks to itself--there's no adhesive to bleed out later. Cut a small strip, stretch it a bit and wrap it around, and press the layers together with your fingers to fuse it together. I keep the remainder of the roll in a ziploc bag so it stays clean, and it's been useful for other repairs.

I didn't attach the Di2 wire to the brake cable -- I don't think that's a good idea, since they likely move independently when the bars are turned all the way. Try some masking tape to temporarily bundle them together, and see if it's practical, or if the wire gets pulled too far.
Sure, I’m aware that the cable/wire combo has to be disconnected at one of each end. That’s not an issue since this is a bike I’m currently building, and the wire/cable are easily available for disconnecting.

Re. the independence of the Di2 cable, I’ve done a fair amount of measuring and also temporarily attached the cable/wire casing to each other, and there’s no evidence there will be problems with movement to either extreme sides when turning. The trick is to make sure that the length of both the Di2 cable and the wire casing is equal in length and that they follow each other’s natural curvature into the entry points on the frame. On the bike I’m building, they’re located very close to each other.

The self fusing silicone tape sounds really nice, but I don’t trust myself being able to wrap the wire/cable in a nice and even fashion, so I still believe that the heat shrink tube is a good way to go for me. I’m also unsure of the availability of such silicone tape in my region.

Thanks for your input 👍🏻

-Tom
Old 09-11-21, 07:03 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

The tape is available at Lowes and Home Depot.

Here's my setup. Yikes, dust really shows up!
The wires from each shifter cross in the middle, then loop back to the junction box. It's mostly hidden below the bars and stem, out of sight.
I forgot I also wrapped the cable housing and the Di2 wire with silicone tape where they exit the bar tape, just to neaten it up a bit.

Last edited by rm -rf; 09-11-21 at 07:14 AM.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 09-11-21, 08:10 AM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
I use a BIC as well - A heat gun is a bit overkill for heat-shrink
BIC lighters for heat shrink is for amateurs. You have no control of the heat and can make scorch marks on whatever you're working on. Buy yourself one of these and you'll never look back. It's handy for dozens of other things also. I have one in both workshops - the basement and also out in the garage.

NTE HG-300D Mini Portable Handheld Heat Gun
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 09-11-21, 08:21 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Back in my day...

I just use a safety match. Move it slowly closer from underside until it shrinks the wrap. With a lighter or match, use aluminum foil to shield anything near the heatshrink area.
Old 09-11-21, 08:24 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
The only downside to this plan I can see is that brake cables don't last forever and you may have to remove the heat shrink at some time in the future to replace the cable. Perhaps using spaced out short pieces of the heat shrink might make this task easier
Old 09-11-21, 03:28 PM
BHG6

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
BIC lighters for heat shrink is for amateurs. You have no control of the heat and can make scorch marks on whatever you're working on. Buy yourself one of these and you'll never look back. It's handy for dozens of other things also. I have one in both workshops - the basement and also out in the garage.

NTE HG-300D Mini Portable Handheld Heat Gun
I guess if you have really shaky hands it might be difficult to control a small flame but for the rest of us, shrinking a small piece of tubing without setting your bike on fire doesn't pose much of a challenge
Old 09-11-21, 10:19 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 682 Posts
I restore antique radios and have used waxed dental floss just for wire bundles. But I recall the tape you speak of when I worked on f-111s.
Likes For spelger:
Old 09-12-21, 05:02 AM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
I guess if you have really shaky hands it might be difficult to control a small flame but for the rest of us, shrinking a small piece of tubing without setting your bike on fire doesn't pose much of a challenge
You can use a pipe wrench to remove a bottom bracket, too. There are a lot of hacks people use when they don't have the right tool for the job.
Old 09-12-21, 08:33 AM
BHG6

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
You can use a pipe wrench to remove a bottom bracket, too. There are a lot of hacks people use when they don't have the right tool for the job.
There are many ways to skin a cat, my friend. You can use a heat gun, a BIC, a blow torch, a cigarette, or even a magnifying glass if you were so inclined. The point is, heating a small piece of plastic tubing is an extremely simple task.......for most people
Old 09-13-21, 06:51 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 689 Posts
fwiw my wife's two custom bikes with Di2 came with a ~1.5" section of spiral cable wrap to afix the brake cable to the shifter wire. (E.g., something like this.) Easily removed and/or reinstalled, and allows the two cables to move independently within the wrap if necessary.
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 09-14-21, 12:34 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
wow you guys are good! fwiw - I've used a skinny soldering iron on heat shrink tubing in some tight spaces. just rubbing the soldering iron along the length of the tubing enough to shrink it tight. (such as repairing broken wires on my cheap computer, on my MTB & securing them so they stay away from the tire & have enough slack, but not too much. it's an ugly mess tho)

old photo but probably similar to current fork & wire repair

also take better care of the fork after swapping it

current iteration

Last edited by rumrunn6; 09-14-21 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-14-21, 12:37 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
The metal inside the housing should be able to take far more heat than you can put into it with your soldering iron or heat gun. I can't imagine much harm if the plastic coating gets warm and recools (now under the heat shrink tape).

Mostly the same for electrical wire.
Likes For CliffordK: