Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

2003ish Specialized Globe Sport - my first hybrid

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-21, 01:30 PM
molleraj

Bikes: 1993 (?) BikeE CT RoadE edition, 2007 (?) Dahon Speed D7, 2003 (?) Specialized Globe Sport, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed, 1974 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1982 Peugeot P8

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 79 Posts

My newly scavenged 2003ish (??) Specialized Globe Sport aluminum hybrid bike. I found it in a dumpster near a construction site where other abandoned bikes have been marked for disposal. I also couldn't find the serial number or make (white Specialized Globe) in bike registries. So far it checks out...should be nice for navigating the C&O Canal Towpath to Cumberland one day.

The serial number is 757030877, and elsewhere suggested the "03" is 2003 in the Specialized numbering scheme (XXXYY-XXXX, where YY is the year). 24 speed (3x8), Shimano Alivio rear derailleur, and Shimano Nexave front derailleur. 700c wheels of course. Brakes and shifters both work great and I love how I get a slide rule indicator for the front and rear gears! The tires held air (I pumped them up to 75 psi), I cleaned the chain with WD-40 to pull out some surface rust, and then I lubed the chain with 20W-50 synthetic motor oil. Next up, adding a sprung seat, fenders, kickstand, rear rack, and bottle cages. Quite a nice, zippy bike. I managed 12.4 mph average going up and down the CCT from Bethesda to Georgetown.

3speedslow no luck asking Specialized about the serial number. How do I know I have mid-braze attach points on the fork?

Bike as I found it in the dumpster. The tires were completely flat.

Photo by picnic table, unfortunately too shady

Left side of the bike in light

CCT photos coming up next.
Old 09-17-21, 01:36 PM
molleraj

Bikes: 1993 (?) BikeE CT RoadE edition, 2007 (?) Dahon Speed D7, 2003 (?) Specialized Globe Sport, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed, 1974 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1982 Peugeot P8

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 79 Posts
Nice 15.5 mi ride this morning on the CCT. 12.4 mph average speed.

C&O Canal NHP sign in Georgetown

Georgetown Waterfront Park looking towards the Key Bridge and Rosslyn

Another view of the Key Bridge

Ride map and stats

More trip speed stats