Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

You broke all the links TWICE????

Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Old 07-07-21, 03:47 PM
LarryMelman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

I have a few threads of interest bookmarked. Last weekend the bookmarks quit working because some genius loaded an upgrade that changed not only the links to each forum, but also the links to each thread. So I figured that out and adjusted my bookmarks.

Today, they are broken again. I assume you put things back to the way they were before.

This is no way to run a railroad, folks.
Old 07-07-21, 08:20 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
It was a glitch. They fixed the glitch.

Deal with it.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 07-09-21, 09:04 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Just bookmark the main site. They already have everything "bookmarked" for you once you get here.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-10-21, 12:23 PM
madpogue 

Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,728 Times in 1,180 Posts
One apparent bug remains. Here's how to replicate it:
* Set your posts-per-page count to 30
* Navigate to Classic & Vintage, find the Wacky World thread, then navigate to the "Last Page" link for that thread.
You'll get a "Page not found" error; the site thinks there are 680 pages when there are actually only 679.

This does NOT happen when your posts-per-page setting is set to 10. I haven't tested other posts-per-page settings; I figure that if you have an example that works, and one that replicates the issue, that should be enough to troubleshoot.
Old 07-10-21, 12:54 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
One apparent bug remains. Here's how to replicate it:
* Set your posts-per-page count to 30
* Navigate to Classic & Vintage, find the Wacky World thread, then navigate to the "Last Page" link for that thread.
You'll get a "Page not found" error; the site thinks there are 680 pages when there are actually only 679.

This does NOT happen when your posts-per-page setting is set to 10. I haven't tested other posts-per-page settings; I figure that if you have an example that works, and one that replicates the issue, that should be enough to troubleshoot.
The page numbers being off is an error that has been around for quite some time, and is related to deleted posts in some of the longer threads.

For example:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...y-ads-815.html

Currently lists 816 pages, but only has 815 pages. Clicking on "Last Page" takes one to 815. Likewise, changing the page number in the address bar to anything greater than 815 will take one to the 815 page.

The "Default" appears to be 25 posts per page.
I tried changing my setting to 30 posts per page, and was unable to replicate what you found (PC/firefox).

Is it possible you're hitting a caching (somewhere) issue?

I often like to simply change page numbers in my address bar. If I put in a number past the current number of pages (say 10+ past), and repeatedly use that number, I've found that the system often will keep taking me to the same page number, even if the last page count is increased. If I vary the page number I use, then I go to the last page. This indicates that somewhere the link to the last page is cached.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 07-10-21, 12:59 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Originally Posted by LarryMelman
There were numerous threads about the broken links over the 4th of July weekend.

As moderators and administrators, replied to the threads, but didn't indicate any permanence of the change, many of us waited to see what would happen Tuesday or Wednesday before making any major changes, just in case it went back to "normal".

On a couple of occasions I posted links to other BF threads, and tried to post using both the new and old format, so at least half my links would always work.

Big Thanks to the Bike Forum Staff for resolving the issues!!!
Old 07-10-21, 02:01 PM
madpogue 

Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,728 Times in 1,180 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
The page numbers being off is an error that has been around for quite some time, and is related to deleted posts in some of the longer threads.

For example:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...y-ads-815.html

Currently lists 816 pages, but only has 815 pages. Clicking on "Last Page" takes one to 815. Likewise, changing the page number in the address bar to anything greater than 815 will take one to the 815 page.

The "Default" appears to be 25 posts per page.
I tried changing my setting to 30 posts per page, and was unable to replicate what you found (PC/firefox).

Is it possible you're hitting a caching (somewhere) issue?

I often like to simply change page numbers in my address bar. If I put in a number past the current number of pages (say 10+ past), and repeatedly use that number, I've found that the system often will keep taking me to the same page number, even if the last page count is increased. If I vary the page number I use, then I go to the last page. This indicates that somewhere the link to the last page is cached.
Well, the Last Page link worked before the 4th. The same thing happens with the "First Unread" link. It happens on multiple browsers, multiple machines; that doesn't rule out caching, but it puts it low on the suspect list.

When you set your posts-per-page to 30, and float your mouse over the last-page link for Wacky World, what page number appears in the link? I get 680.
Old 07-11-21, 09:12 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26250 Post(s)
Liked 10,232 Times in 7,101 Posts
...there used to be better complaints on this forum. I'm going to start a thread complaining about the quality of the complaints. It just seems to me people are phoning it in now.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 07-12-21, 12:35 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
It was a glitch. They fixed the glitch.

Deal with it.

I want my money ba.....

Never mind.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-12-21, 12:37 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...there used to be better complaints on this forum. I'm going to start a thread complaining about the quality of the complaints. It just seems to me people are phoning it in now.

What's the deal with airline food?
Likes For livedarklions: