Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-21, 04:02 PM
whydoibike93

Bikes: 19 pitch,05 7300fx, giant stance 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
tires

hi there i was wondering what tires you run on your hybrid for gravel and pavement rides? thank you.
Old 08-24-21, 12:11 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by whydoibike93
hi there i was wondering what tires you run on your hybrid for gravel and pavement rides? thank you.
I really like Maxxis DTHs, and Panaracer Gravel Kings are popular.
Old 08-24-21, 10:09 AM
AU Tiger

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2017 Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
Specialized Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss, Hutchinson Override

You should get a nice variety of good suggestions. I'll offer my two cents because the two tires I run don't typically get a lot of mention on this forum.

I really like Specialized Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss. I run them in 38mm. There is also a tubed version of them available if you aren't set up for tubeless. My typical rides are on rural paved roads, many of which are shared by horse-and-buggies which really do a number on them. And many of my rides include a few miles of gravel roads in addition to the rough paved roads. The Pathfinder tires are perfect for this, with the smooth center and treaded sides. Definitely better on tarmac than gravel, but still quite capable on gravel. And they're very durable... I've currently got close to 5500 miles on the rear tire. Was planning to change it around 4000, but it still had plenty of wear left in it so I just kept it on. Looking like t'll probably end up with close to 6000.

Another option which is almost the same profile as the Pathfinder is the Hutchinson Override, also in 38mm. In fact, that's what's on my shelf waiting to go on, because the Pathfinder was backordered when I bought them. The main difference is that the center strip on the Hutchinson is textured rather than smooth like the Specialized, but not enough to make a big difference in the ride. I run them tubeless, but they're also fine to run with tubes.
Old 08-24-21, 10:13 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
My favourite tires are Panaracer Paselas, when I can find them. I am currently using Specialized Nimbus tires because they were available at the bike shop and inexpensive. I have about 2000km on them so far, maybe 10% gravel, and they have been great.

For gravel or rough surfaces you should probably get a tire, whichever you choose, in 35mm width or greater.
Old 09-02-21, 09:11 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
40mm WTB Nano. got them off a used MTB & figured I'd try them. still using them so I guess I like them. I let a little air out when I know I will be strictly on dirt

pics on post #3 here
Old 09-02-21, 02:55 PM
whydoibike93

Bikes: 19 pitch,05 7300fx, giant stance 2

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
okay i will look into specialized tires also since i have that as my front tire and really like it.
Likes For whydoibike93:
Old 09-06-21, 09:33 AM
ArneDarvin

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 2.0

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Tire Size Question Add-on

Sirrus X 2.0 owner: My stock rims are 700C, 22mm depth, 21mm internal width. The stock tires are Pathfinder Sport size 700x42.
What is the minimum road-style tire size that would fit the stock rim? I'm looking to change my tires to less of a road/gravel style as I don't typically ride on the softer surfaces.
Thanks!
Old 09-06-21, 09:49 AM
Orkun KnighTR34

Bikes: 2016 Kron TX 150

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I use Anlas 700x38 hybrid bike tires on my hybrid bike. Cost per tire is amazing, less than $10 but its performance is way more than its price. I lean on the curbs at high speeds without any concerns. They are also reliable on rough surfaces on rural roads and gravel paths. But, there's no puncture protected version of this tire. I use them with puncture protection tapes, less than $3 per tire. I know Anlas motorcycle tires, especially winter tires are well-known around the world but I don't know that how popular are bicycle tires from Anlas outside my country. If you can find them in your country, you can try them.

Last edited by Orkun KnighTR34; 09-06-21 at 09:53 AM.
Likes For Orkun KnighTR34:
Old 09-06-21, 09:59 AM
ArneDarvin

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 2.0

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you for your suggestion.
Unfortunately, the tire you mentioned does not appear to be available in my country.
However, it was the tire size I was more interested. I want to go to a smaller size and to try to get a more road feel and by doing so maybe get a little faster.
Will the 700x38 fit my rim no matter which brand/model I choose?
Ciao!
Likes For ArneDarvin: