Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Zach Gallardo

Old 09-01-21, 05:32 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Zach Gallardo

Our high priest of Wabi has a lot of new and great video's for fixed gear. Got to love Wabi!
Old 09-01-21, 05:02 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Why does it sound like your account was hacked by Zach Gallardo?
Likes For seau grateau:
Old 09-01-21, 05:43 PM
Philasteve

Bikes: Surly CreamRoller. 98 Giant Rincon. SE UVT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I thought Tejano and Scrod were only the only high priests around these parts.
Likes For Philasteve:
Old 09-01-21, 07:08 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 317 Posts
What does being a “high priest of Wabi” entail? And what’s the pay?
Likes For Rage:
Old 09-01-21, 08:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
My only high priest is either of Dub or of Harmful Matter. Pretty silly post, nothing really saying anything aside from some guy on youtoobs did what youtoobers do? I mean it is like announcing "hey guys I took dump yesterday and today"
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 09-02-21, 12:40 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Philasteve
I thought Tejano and Scrod were only the only high priests around these parts.
Don’t forget TMonk

Zach Gallardo? Pfft!
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 09-02-21, 01:29 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
His seems to be a short distance city type rider but his videos are good to check out details of the bikes I guess. I couldn't make videos that good. I don't even know how to post a you tube video.
Old 09-02-21, 08:54 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
I was thinking of posting a video of me doing laundry. Pretty informative and exciting stuff, don’t you think ?

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 09-02-21, 09:41 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by Lazyass
His seems to be a short distance city type rider but his videos are good to check out details of the bikes I guess. I couldn't make videos that good. I don't even know how to post a you tube video.
Since everyone is allotted only 24 hours each day, I think we're faced with the need to prioritize...

a. Biking
b. Making videos about biking
c. Taking care of career, family, and other adult obligations.

Pick two. (I went with a. and c.)

This is not meant as an insult to the esteemed Mr. Gallardo. I respect that he's doing his thing, and I wish him all the best in it. Many of us could not succeed as a "content creator" (did you know that's a real profession now?) because we've chosen a different route for our career and lifestyle. He has chosen to devote considerable time and resources to YouTube, and honestly, I think he does a pretty good job.

But no... he's not making me want to go out and buy a Wabi, or figure out ways to earn more fixie points with the bikes I already have.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 09-02-21, 09:50 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
I was thinking of posting a video of me doing laundry. Pretty informative and exciting stuff, don’t you think ?
That would be a cool video... if you're in a track stand on one of your coolest bikes through the whole process. But please do a time lapse so it doesn't last 45 minutes.

You reminded me of a conversation I had with my brother a few weeks ago during a casual bike ride. I told him I watched the movie "Melancholia," that it was kind of weird but well made and very artistic, and that Kirsten Dunst is very good in it. He said, "I'd watch Kirsten Dunst fold laundry for two hours."

We now return to our regularly scheduled FG/SS bike discussions.
Old 09-02-21, 01:32 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 146 Posts
I give Zach a pass. He's young. He is passionate about fixed gears, even if I rarely agree with his takes/opinions. He is transparent about his struggles with mental health. He is pretty likeable.

I fear that his stance on brakeless riding, and large gear ratios, are not helpful at all to people who look to him for advise and wisdom.

Outside of that, even though I am subscribed to his videos, I do not watch them all. I also do not love the blatant product placement arrangement he has with Wabi. He is fine, and I take no offense to how he makes a living/his social media presense. Sheldon he is not, but he's also not a Paul brother.
Old 09-02-21, 07:21 PM
StirFry

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Username checks out.
Likes For StirFry:
Old 09-03-21, 01:36 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by StirFry
Username checks out.
After my previous 25 year career I've earned the right to be lazy.
Old 09-03-21, 12:08 PM
wabi_damon
Steel is Real

Bikes: Wabi Lightning, Wabi Special, Wabi Thunder, Merckx Extra Corsa, Colnago Tecnos, Colnago Super, Cinelli Supercorsa, De Rosa Professional, De Rosa Replica 73, Serotta Colorado iii, Koga Miyata Full Pro, Panasonic RT-3500, Lynskey R320, Time VXRS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
High Priest? Are we back to the cult thing again? :-)

I'm obviously biased, but Zach is great for us and great for fixed riding. He's done a lot to introduce it to a new audience and he is pretty well liked (if you go off of YT views and up/down ratings). Yeah, he is not really a technical expert, but he doesn't really try to be (or really need to be for fixed riding...). He tries to mix technical information, entertainment and personality - pretty much what you need to do on YT to be successful. Of course, some people won't like him, but you can't appeal to everyone....

And, frankly, we give him minimal direction and lots of latitude on product placements or what is said or not said. Of course, our frame and wheels are in ever video given that's what he rides (and likes) so there's always that product placement, but that's about it.
Old 09-04-21, 02:10 PM
Philasteve

Bikes: Surly CreamRoller. 98 Giant Rincon. SE UVT

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
That would be a cool video... if you're in a track stand on one of your coolest bikes through the whole process. But please do a time lapse so it doesn't last 45 minutes.

You reminded me of a conversation I had with my brother a few weeks ago during a casual bike ride. I told him I watched the movie "Melancholia," that it was kind of weird but well made and very artistic, and that Kirsten Dunst is very good in it. He said, "I'd watch Kirsten Dunst fold laundry for two hours."

We now return to our regularly scheduled FG/SS bike discussions.
Yeah, my buddy has been doing it full time on YT since 2015, he started in like 2008. It's honestly no joke, the insane amount of ideas and work he's put into it gaining nothing for years. It can pay off in the end though as he has a full team of camera people and editors now. Luckily he started when you needed minimal camera equipment and editing skill. I can respect anyone who grinds from nothing to something and creates something cool.

I meant to reply to your other post.

Last edited by Philasteve; 09-04-21 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-07-21, 08:57 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
I feel the same way about Kirsten Dunst. Even as she ages, she has a natural, appealing beauty. My wife and I watched her in the re-make of the Civil War era drama, Beguiled, a re-make of the original film with Clint Eastwood and Elizabeth Hartman. She has expanded her acting range considerably, as well.
Old 09-07-21, 11:07 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I feel the same way about Kirsten Dunst. Even as she ages, she has a natural, appealing beauty. My wife and I watched her in the re-make of the Civil War era drama, Beguiled, a re-make of the original film with Clint Eastwood and Elizabeth Hartman. She has expanded her acting range considerably, as well.
I like this thread derailment. Had a crush on Kirsten Dunst ever since I saw Jumanji as a kid. And she really was excellent in Melancholia, a film that changed my opinion of Lars Von Trier -- I used to think he was an insufferable ass all the time, but now I realize he's only like that most of the time.
Old 09-07-21, 08:50 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

I feel Kirsten has shown real staying power, definitely not a one trick pony. She’s been acting in Hollywood for decades and has a lot of good roles to her credit. But she’s not the typical glamorous starlet; she’s attractive in her own down-to-earth way, which is part of her appeal.
Old 09-09-21, 07:21 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Isn't Zach Gallardo living in LA now? Why doesn't he do a video with Kirsten Dunst in it? That'd be something.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 09-17-21, 06:26 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Just saw his video where he ruined his wheel trying to remove his cog that was stuck
Old 09-17-21, 07:04 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by jay4usc
Just saw his video where he ruined his wheel trying to remove his cog that was stuck
link please

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 09-17-21, 08:19 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
link please
Old 09-17-21, 09:46 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by jay4usc
Those look like Sub 15 wheels, which are not going to take a lot of abuse. Still, he might have gotten the cog off if he'd used a bench vise. I've had cogs that I couldn't remove with a chain whip, but was able to with a bench vise. Also, anti-seize compound works better than grease.

Originally Posted by Dcv

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 09-18-21 at 08:11 AM. Reason: spelling
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 09-18-21, 01:50 AM
Lazyass

Not the greatest bike building video, literally a backyard mechanic haha. If he had a cheap heat gun that cog could have easily been broken loose. Tsk tsk..
Old 09-18-21, 09:54 AM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Not the greatest bike building video, literally a backyard mechanic haha. If he had a cheap heat gun that cog could have easily been broken loose. Tsk tsk..
yea I was shaking my head when I saw him with the dremel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.