Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Keeping a Bike Inside an Apt.?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-22-21, 07:36 PM
MacMorrighan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey guy, I'm planning to return to college, which will be out of state, therefore I'll have to live in an apartment. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas or advice about storing my bicycle indoors without tracking dirt or mud everywhere (after all, I wouldn't trust the locals as far s I could throw them) and I can't imagine keeping my bike in the exterior hallway!

~Wade
Old 09-22-21, 08:17 PM
Greg R

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
My son, years ago, had matting to keep the bike on. Those entrance mats you can get at Costco or commercial kitchen supply. Hand carrying the bike kept tracking dirt down the hallway to a minimum. Keep it indoors. His bike got stolen off the 2nd floor balcony when the apartment was getting rearranged between classes.

It's not just the locals. There have been chop shops in cities that how should we say, "cruise" in college towns. It's really tough on state campuses as it's public property. One rumor at a campus I worked was that a frat house was involved for it's beer/party funds.
Old 09-22-21, 08:31 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2564 Post(s)
Liked 5,595 Times in 2,903 Posts
Im college, I would carry my wet dirty bike over the carpet and park it on a small tarp in my bedroom.

Old 09-23-21, 01:24 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
In my apartment days I would wipe my bike down with an old towel outside the front door before bringing it in if I had been riding in the rain. Besides rain rides, it never really gets dirty. I do kind of miss apartment life, it was so simple. AC system or refrig goes out just call the office haha
Old 09-23-21, 04:13 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Cat litter mat by the front door. I had one that was basically astroturf but looked more like brownish natural material. It was almost too efficient, and hard to clean, even beating it with a stick outdoors, so I discarded it after a couple of years. But that's not bad for an inexpensive mat. The other is a rubber mat with pockmarks that trap cat litter or debris from my shoes or bike tires, and it's easier to wash.
Old 09-23-21, 11:52 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3867 Post(s)
Liked 6,452 Times in 3,192 Posts
Get a road bike and don't ride in the rain.
Old 09-23-21, 12:07 PM
themrbruceguy

Bikes: Early 70's Stella -> Gravel SS Conversion, 2019 Trek Stache SS

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'd recommend parking it as close to the door as possible to reduce tracking rain, dirt, mud, etc into your apartment. And I would say that any bath towel long enough to catch all of your bike's drippings from front to back would be sufficient. That's what I did and it worked well. Tarps are also good and even cycling trainer mats specifically designed to catch your sweat and keep it off of the carpet / floor / etc.
Old 09-23-21, 05:24 PM
atnyc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Depends on what kind of floor have. if it's wooden (or fake wood), you can simply sweep/mop it after you roll your bike in.

Another option is to use your water bottle as a hose. spray water to wash away the worst of the mud/dirt.

I used to live in an apartment. But I had to walk a far long way to get to my unit. By the time I got to my own door, all the dirt/mud had been shed in the hallway/elevator.
Old 09-23-21, 06:23 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
A common solution in Japan to store your bikes and to take them on trains is a Rinko bag. Finish your ride throw a bag over bike and carry it though you apartment.
Old 09-24-21, 06:19 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Same way you avoid tracking dirt and mud from your shoes all over the place. I’m 56 years young and have never stored bikes anywhere except in my living quarters. Never get excessive dirt or mud anywhere. If do get some, I clean it up.
Old 09-24-21, 06:26 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 245 Posts
My apartment is too small, so I have no choice - my bikes stay locked up outside in the corridor next to the elevators (I live on the 24th floor of my building).
Old 09-24-21, 07:41 AM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
I got a small narrow runner carpet to park the winter bike on, Meant for a hallway and about 6-7' long. Pretty cheap at walmart, maybe $20-ish.
Old 09-24-21, 10:17 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
had my own apt, 10 yrs ago, for 4 months, carried my bike to my kitchen, thru the exterior 2nd entrance. guess I was lucky to have sep. door. kept the bike near that door