Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Am I not “racy” enough?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Am I not “racy” enough?

Old 07-01-21, 06:05 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Wrong on most counts. Nothing triggers a racer boy than seeing a bent ahead of him. Locally I have caused them to bust a gut so to speak, riding up a hill into a 35 mph wind.
If Penthouse Forum letters had been about bent riding, they'd be more credible.

See, I'm old, too.

Last edited by livedarklions; 07-01-21 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-01-21, 06:07 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
^^^ Is Rouvy like Zwift in that the "climbs" are about half as difficult as real life? Even if that's the case, it's cool to get even a taste of what they experience.
You are misinformed. Zwift climbs feel half as steep if you leave the trainer difficulty setting at 50%, but it takes the same amount of power to cover whatever the route is and you would simply go slower. All virtual trainer platforms require similar power and effort as outdoor rides, because they all simulate real world physics.

Last edited by surak; 07-01-21 at 06:10 PM.
Likes For surak:
Old 07-01-21, 06:25 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
You are misinformed. Zwift climbs feel half as steep if you leave the trainer difficulty setting at 50%, but it takes the same amount of power to cover whatever the route is and you would simply go slower. All virtual trainer platforms require similar power and effort as outdoor rides, because they all simulate real world physics.
So it would make a 15 degree climb feel like 7.5 degrees but twice as long? That's a lot different from a 15 degree climb, even if you ultimately use the same amount of energy. Can you set the trainer to replicate actual real world routes? Sorry if this is too basic or OT.
Old 07-01-21, 06:30 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

So it would make a 15 degree climb feel like 7.5 degrees but twice as long? That's a lot different from a 15 degree climb, even if you ultimately use the same amount of energy. Can you set the trainer to replicate actual real world routes? Sorry if this is too basic or OT.
It's essentially virtual gearing. It only takes twice as long if you put out half the power you would on something twice as steep, which is not what people do. And yes of course you can set it to 100%.
Likes For surak:
Old 07-01-21, 06:35 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Thanks! 100% if you want the most realistic experience, turn it down if you need to. Makes sense now!
Old 07-02-21, 08:35 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Thanks! 100% if you want the most realistic experience, turn it down if you need to. Makes sense now!
I once read an in-depth blog post about all the math about trainer difficulty; I can't remember now if it was on Zwift Insider or DCRainmaker but anyway it hurt my brain because I don't math good. All I know is on the default settings I can climb virtual Alpe d'Huez in 60-90 minutes and even though I've never climbed a mountain on my bike IRL I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to sustain that kind of speed on an 8% climb for 8 miles or whatever it is.
Likes For ksryder:
Old 07-02-21, 08:45 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
If Penthouse Forum letters had been about bent riding, they'd be more credible.
He's definitely fantasizing again.
Old 07-02-21, 08:47 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Wrong on most counts. Nothing triggers a racer boy than seeing a bent ahead of him.
That's because the bent rider usually has his music turned up to eleven and can't hear my bell.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 07-02-21, 08:55 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
All virtual trainer platforms require similar power and effort as outdoor rides, because they all simulate real world physics.
I just refuse to believe that indoor trainers are as effective as outdoor riding. The fitness you get from indoor trainers isn't the same as fitness you gain by riding outdoors in the real world.
Old 07-02-21, 09:08 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
That's because the bent rider usually has his music turned up to eleven and can't hear my bell.
Wrong!!!!!!!!!!! I despise loud music on the trail.
Old 07-02-21, 09:22 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I just refuse to believe that indoor trainers are as effective as outdoor riding. The fitness you get from indoor trainers isn't the same as fitness you gain by riding outdoors in the real world.
They're different, but the fitness translates; getting stronger on the trainer gets you stronger on the road.
Old 07-02-21, 09:27 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
As a flat bar commuter who lives and dies by cat 6, I have a few tips for you OP.

If you can, downgrade your bike and add stupid pointless stuff to it like a flag or basket. Nobody likes being passed by an inferior bike, this is a surefire way to trigger a race. Eat the aero loss and extra weight, you don't care. Maybe ride a tandem solo

Hands off your handlebars. Your are out for a casual ride and not trying hard, once you start hammering you can get in your drops.

Lower your speed, if someone passes you, destroy them. varying your speed gets people overconfident and thinking they can hang with you.

When passing someone, compliment their pace and tell them it took a lot out of you to catch them, especially if they were slow. Lots of people are out for base miles, but you can mess up their recovery ride if you're savvy enough. Remember that its their fault for blowing themselves up chasing you.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 07-02-21 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-02-21, 09:30 AM
surak

Believe whatever you want, pro teams already know indoor training is effective (and triathletes have known for even longer).
​​​​​​
Likes For surak:
Old 07-02-21, 09:35 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Believe whatever you want, pro teams already know indoor training is effective (and triathletes have known for even longer).
​​​​​​
I mean he's technically correct, it's not as effective as outdoor riding -- it's much, much more effective.
Old 07-02-21, 09:36 AM
surak

Originally Posted by ksryder
All I know is on the default settings I can climb virtual Alpe d'Huez in 60-90 minutes and even though I've never climbed a mountain on my bike IRL I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to sustain that kind of speed on an 8% climb for 8 miles or whatever it is.
Knowing when you've never tried, that's solid evidence right there.

Anyone with a powermeter who knows how to stay below threshold so they can pace themselves can make it with sufficient gearing. Not being able to do it IRL has more to do with lack of awareness of one's power and the appropriate gearing.
Old 07-02-21, 03:59 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
For real, there's no buicks overshooting the stop signs, the sweet rotten aroma of garbage trucks, lawn sprinklers spitting when it's 40F, nor any poorly trained [hungry] animals lunching at your ankles.
Old 07-02-21, 04:52 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
I once read an in-depth blog post about all the math about trainer difficulty; I can't remember now if it was on Zwift Insider or DCRainmaker but anyway it hurt my brain because I don't math good. All I know is on the default settings I can climb virtual Alpe d'Huez in 60-90 minutes and even though I've never climbed a mountain on my bike IRL I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to sustain that kind of speed on an 8% climb for 8 miles or whatever it is.
From what I read, personal experience from myself and lot's of friends that ride zwiit the up hill part is about the only real accurate part. IRL say 10% hill at 10 miles miles take you an 60 minutes at xxx watts. That's about what it would be for you in zwift. At those slow speeds you don't have the benefit of assuming the perfect bike, aero position, smooth road. etc.. just weight/grade/power(watts)

now the flats in zwift you must be on the best bike, tires, zero wind, and great smooth road and in the perfect body position for aero. While at home doing zwift you might be on the hoods bolt upright blocking wind like a mac truck.

Down hill in zwift is even more silly. your bike has unlimited gears. you can pedal like at 45+ mph. zero pot holes. no cars, squirrels, dear, turns, dirt/leaves on the ground. just crank up your 300+ watts like there is no tomorrow.
Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 07-05-21, 01:22 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Every morning (almost literally) I wake up, put on spandex, and go out riding one of my “Tour de France-type” drop bar bikes. Every day I pass flat bar bikes of all sorts - mountain, hybrid, whatever. Not one of them has ever tried to race me. None has ever passed or dropped me. Do I just not look racy enough to get them fired up, or is there something else I’m missing about all these stories here from flat-bar riders?
I did try to race, and it took 1 minute and 16 seconds for you to be so far ahead of me i could no longer see you.
I, however, didn't care.
Old 07-08-21, 07:56 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
So this morning i did get passed, twice. But...

1) it was a two-man paceline
2) of tri geeks
3) the leader wasn't wearing a helmet
4) I was on my gravel bike
5) doing anaerobic intervals on climbs, and got passed during the rest interval on either side of one of them
6) while wearing a one-piece sleeveless tri kit

How should I feel?
Old 07-08-21, 08:04 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,783 Times in 3,112 Posts

2) of tri geeks
5) doing anaerobic intervals on climbs, and got passed during the rest interval on either side of one of them

How should I feel?
Hoo boy, complicated situation, but I think the question is how you DO feel, which is to say, your body may be giving you the answer subliminally. I think perhaps some basic mindfulness exercises, concentrating on the feeling in your chest and buttocks while reliving the experience, may help.
Old 07-08-21, 10:08 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,425 Posts
I would take a week off and decompress.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 07-09-21, 06:55 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I would take a week off and decompress.
Does 66TSS of recovery ride count?
Old 07-09-21, 07:10 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

2) of tri geeks

How should I feel?
Sup Larry!!
Old 07-09-21, 07:21 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
You need to race where I race... on the MUP against 6-year-olds with their Paw Patrol or Minnie Mouse bikes.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 07-09-21, 07:57 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Wrong on most counts. Nothing triggers a racer boy than seeing a bent ahead of him. Locally I have caused them to bust a gut so to speak, riding up a hill into a 35 mph wind.
This is just sad.
Likes For caloso:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.