Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Insurance value after accident?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-20, 08:46 AM
dougphoto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts

So I got doored about 2 weeks ago. I don't recommend it, it sucks. Anyway my bike has a big ugly dent in the frame. I have/had a Cannondale Slate 105, so It's a bike that hasn't been made for a few years. Should I submit the price I paid for the bike to insurance, or the price for an equivalent new bike? so I guess that would be a topstone lefty, but those are carbon and my bike was aluminum. hmmmm
Old 08-23-20, 09:32 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
They'll look as the price when sold and then delete depreciation. You'll only get a fraction of what you paid or what a replacement would cost.

Sux, but that reality.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 08-23-20, 09:51 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
In my only two dealings with insurance companies and bicycle related stuff I didn't have issues with depreciation. I think it in part has to do with no standards for what depreciation is for a bicycle unlike cars which have high rates of resale. In both cases I had the LBS give an estimate of the replacement cost of the item and sent it to the insurance company. The thing is that you crashed, so I'd be demanding the replacement cost of the frame and labor, if you have anything carbon I'd include that in the replacement since you can't verify that they're still sound so fork and handlebars is necessary. You also have the right to have things restored but since that can't really happen with bike parts I'd toss in anything significantly damaged, so possibly the shifters that hit the ground or the door, scraped parts etc. Since these parts plus labor can exceed the cost of an equivalent replacement offer both to the insurance company and let them decide.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 08-23-20, 12:21 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Just the bike got hurt? I'd try to make them pay for my band-aids too.
Old 08-23-20, 12:40 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by dougphoto
So I got doored about 2 weeks ago. I don't recommend it, it sucks. Anyway my bike has a big ugly dent in the frame. I have/had a Cannondale Slate 105, so It's a bike that hasn't been made for a few years. Should I submit the price I paid for the bike to insurance, or the price for an equivalent new bike? so I guess that would be a topstone lefty, but those are carbon and my bike was aluminum. hmmmm
It'll be valued as less than new. Ask for the comparisons they used and then you can then show actual real comparisons that are higher than what they claim to get more $.
Old 08-23-20, 12:47 PM
fujidon

Bikes: Fuji Pro, Raleigh Team, touring bike, hybrid

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
I got rear-ended when my bike was on a rack. The bike was totaled. The insurance company (GEICO) gave me 90% of the price I paid. I was completely happy with that.

I didn't expect it, but as it turned out, I was able to buy an equivalent replacement for less than I was reimbursed... doubly happy.
Likes For fujidon:
Old 08-23-20, 03:35 PM
upthywazzoo 

Bikes: 1984 Trek 770

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts
I had a similar experience. I was struck by a vehicle in such a way that my front fork legs snapped off completely. I had a estimate for bike frame replacement and component install done at a bike shop, and sent that to Geico. They reimbursed me that amount + the value of my helmet for which I had a receipt.
Old 08-23-20, 04:26 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
It depends on your insurance. The only time I ever made a bike-related claim was in the 90s, when my mountain bike got stolen. My renter's insurance was a replacement-value policy. They wound up paying me more than I even asked for, and much more than I had paid for the bike 6 years earlier.
Likes For mattcalifornia:
Old 08-23-20, 04:31 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Do you not have an agent? Talk to them. You may get replacement value, you may get a depreciated value, but talk to your agent.
Old 08-23-20, 09:12 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
I would recommend that everyone look at their homeowners/renters insurance and see if they have replacement value coverage. If not, you should definitely find out how much it would cost to upgrade your insurance. My recollection is that it's not that big of a difference in cost.
Likes For mattcalifornia:
Old 08-23-20, 11:50 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
They'll look as the price when sold and then delete depreciation. You'll only get a fraction of what you paid or what a replacement would cost.

Sux, but that reality.
It depends on what insurance coverage you have if going through your insurance or the adjuster if going through the person at fault’s insurance. I have always gotten as new replacement value the 3 times I have dealt with insurance and my bike.
Old 08-24-20, 06:21 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I got full new replacement cost for my frame. The frame was close to 10 years old at the time too.

In fact, they wanted to cut me a check for a whole new bike, but they would take what I had. I didn't want to give up my PM or CK hubs. Since only the frame and rear rim were damaged, they agreed to pay for a new frame and wheel repair - which was also less than a complete bike.
Old 08-24-20, 09:12 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
I got hit by a car that destroyed the bike. GEICO was her insurance company. I think the claims guy was use to car valuations not bikes. He did a comparison of other similar bikes for sale in the area. The offer was less than new, but I felt it was fair.
Old 08-24-20, 12:04 PM
mbailey

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Do your homework

You can achieve the best possible result by working your claim. Take good pictures of everything damaged. Prepare a list of each item damaged with as much specificity as possible. Then, for each item, set forth what you claim it’s worth with copies of what you are relying on for each item. The more sources and backup, the better. When you are making an educated guess, say so. Include damages for loss of use of your bicycle, supported by evidence of what a daily rental would cost you.

The objective is to show the adjuster that your claim is proper, supported and substantiated, and that you are ready, willing, and able, to defend it. Make it clear through your (voluminous and not overstated) submission, that he’s going to have to spend a lot of time getting smart about bicycles and doing a lot of spade work to adjust a claim that, even with high end stuff, is a small claim compared to wadding up an F-150.

It’s a lot of work, but, in effect, a well-prepared claim makes it easier for the adjuster to evaluate and to allow your claim. Which is your goal.

Last edited by mbailey; 08-24-20 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Typo
Likes For mbailey:
Old 08-24-20, 02:29 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Depends on whether you have a replacement rider. Even at that, insurance companies look at bikes as a niche product, so it will pay to have a good relationship with your agent.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 08-24-20, 08:13 PM
dougphoto

Originally Posted by Iride01
Just the bike got hurt? I'd try to make them pay for my band-aids too.
Oh I'm in plenty of hurt too, but I will heal my bike frame won't. But they will be paying for me to heal.
Old 08-29-20, 06:32 PM
Buddy of KS

Bikes: Fuji Sportif

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm an agent, are you filing a claim against the vehicle's insurance carrier or your homeowners policy?
Likes For Buddy of KS:
Old 08-29-20, 07:13 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
^^Yes, I think that matters. You'll be more likely to get replacement value if you are being paid by the perp's insurance.
Old 08-30-20, 01:21 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
How does replacement work when the bike shops don't have anything comparable in stock? You want to wait till November?
Likes For znomit:
Old 08-30-20, 06:42 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
I was rear-ended a few years ago with my bike on a trunk rack. Brought it to my LBS and the mechanic said we needed to replace the front wheel and, to be safe, the fork. Provided an estimate of $600. I gave that to the insurance company of the woman who hit me and they reimbursed the whole price. Now, they were probably surprised and happy I didn't really care about the small dent on my bumper and didn't even ask for the car to be repaired .... just my bike :-).
Likes For dennis336:
Old 08-30-20, 11:49 AM
dougphoto

Originally Posted by Buddy of KS
I'm an agent, are you filing a claim against the vehicle's insurance carrier or your homeowners policy?
against the drivers insurance
Old 08-30-20, 03:43 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
How does replacement work when the bike shops don't have anything comparable in stock? You want to wait till November?
You get a check for the replacement value and spend it how you see fit.
Old 08-30-20, 04:11 PM
vascof1

Bikes: Canyon Endurace AL 7

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
You get a check for the replacement value and spend it how you see fit.
Isn’t it actual cash value (replacement less depreciation) if it’s the other person’s insurance and replacement cost under your own homeowners?
Old 08-31-20, 08:32 PM
Hikebikerun

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL5 ; Felt Versa Speed 7

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 25 Posts
against the drivers insurance
Technically they only owe you for the actual cash value of the bike (meaning they can apply depreciation), not replacement cost. That being said, they are VERY lucky they do not have a massive Bodily Injury exposure from your accident. Many people would run out to get at attorney in your situation, and in any pedestrian/cyclist collision the insurance company is potentially on the hook for a lot of $$ in general damages.

In my opinion, they are highly incentivized to take care of you. You have some room to negotiate.
Likes For Hikebikerun: