Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I need a new helmet. Why so expensive?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I need a new helmet. Why so expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-20, 10:45 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,296 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
I have to post this at least once a year ...
No, you don't. Seriously.
Old 08-26-20, 10:59 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Tell me, I have to post this at least once a year. After I got tired of trying to keep up with little guys in motorcycle races; I became the safety director of the American Federation of Motorcyclists and in order to be competent at what I was going I went down to Bell and was shown around and we held a discussion about helmets.

Every time I publish this information you say the same thing. Do you have memory problems so that you can't remember anything for more than a couple of months? Trends in US Cyclist Deaths - research, statistics, data

I am also an electronics engineer that has worked extensively in R & D with medical instruments and laboratory instruments that are used for medical purposes. My guess is that you don't even know what peer review means so exactly why do you make these sorts of postings. You don't "peer review" statistics in case you were unaware of it. I have since compared helmet use by cyclists and pedestrian fatalities and everything is pretty comparable to what it was when this paper was written. That was BEFORE the Bontrager Q-cell. That may not make any difference either but at least they have addressed the real problems. While the Bontrager was the highest rated helmet in these tests It isn't clear to me what this test was measuring. Since angular momentum is not particularly dangerous and measuring it as a part of your test rating may not be of any use. https://www.singletracks.com/mtb-new...g-concussions/ However, they may believe that angular impacts are more common and more dangerous on MTB's.

Pardon me for being so rude, I didn't get a lot of sleep last night.
​​​​​​I assume this compare of pedestrians and cyclists all involved getting hit by a car? What percent were determined death by head injuries? The document does not mention that unless I missed it. We could argue that steel toed boots and hard hats provide no additional safety at all because those hit by a car wearing them had the same fatality rate as those not wearing them.

Statistics are like bikinis, what they reveal is suggestive but what they conceal is vital.

Last edited by u235; 08-26-20 at 03:47 PM.
Likes For u235:
Old 08-26-20, 11:03 AM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by joeruge
I was in the market for a motorcycle helmet a whole bunch of years ago. I saw $50 helmets and $500 helmets, all with the Snell approved safety sticker.

I asked the salesman what was the difference between the $50 helmets and the $500 helmets if they both passed the same tests. He said to me, "Well, if you have a $50 head, get a $50 helmet."

I thought that was good advice!
That’s poor advice. That’s advice that I’d expect to get from a guy who stands to make more money selling a more expensive helmet. If you’re comparing a $50 helmet to a $500 helmet, both snell approved, the extra $450 is for comfort, extra features, less weight, and style.
Old 08-26-20, 11:10 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair
Thanks for that video, it confirms what I thought. $200 for a slot to store my sunglasses seems a bit much.

I guess I could follow my wife's lead and buy the one that goes with my outfit.

lol, Men, don't wear outfits!
Likes For Wanderer:
Old 08-26-20, 11:32 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
11 years ago I had a severe concussion when an early carbon fiber fork fell apart ....
Ummmm .... weren't "early" CF forks more like 51 years ago?
Old 08-26-20, 11:35 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by joeruge
I was in the market for a motorcycle helmet a whole bunch of years ago. I saw $50 helmets and $500 helmets, all with the Snell approved safety sticker.

I asked the salesman what was the difference between the $50 helmets and the $500 helmets if they both passed the same tests. He said to me, "Well, if you have a $50 head, get a $50 helmet."

I thought that was good advice!
Ummmm .... the guy who makes his living on commission said .....

I mean seriously, he Never addressed relative safety. He never even bothered to claim that the more expensive helmet was better ..... and you fell for it.

If I had been there, I would have scrawled "$500,000" on my helmet with a sharpie and sold you a whole lot more ..... something.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 08-26-20, 11:35 AM
joeruge

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by sarhog
That’s poor advice. That’s advice that I’d expect to get from a guy who stands to make more money selling a more expensive helmet. If you’re comparing a $50 helmet to a $500 helmet, both snell approved, the extra $450 is for comfort, extra features, less weight, and style.
It was advice given in jest, and only part of the conversation. Obviously, there was, and probably still is, a lot of differences between helmets that are 5X as expensive as a the cheaper ones. He eventually helped me pick out a helmet in the middle price range, which for many purchases, is a good place to be.

I didn't intend my little anecdote to be a piece of serious advise in this serious topic. Just a little levity.
Old 08-26-20, 11:47 AM
Maelochs

Not saying @RiceAWay is on target .... I mean, after a debilitating brain injury he asks us to trust his word .... and he shows poor reading comprehension (no one asked about "peer-reviewed" statistics ... you claimed you wrote a paper and people asked if it was a college thesis or a serious article respected by experts in the field .... I mean, the writing in that first post wasn't college-level .... ) but he does make a point here or there:

To expand on my original posting. Although statistically helmets do not appear to change fatality rates that is NOT what I recommend helmets for. Since the most common bicycle accidents are the "fall off" a helmet WILL protect you from minor injuries. Whacking your head on the ground can really turn a pretty good ride into a terrible day even if there was little to no real injuries.
By the way …. The link RiceAWay providd offers basically no information. It doesn’t show anything except the number of cycling and pedestrian fatalities. A claim is made that helmet use rose during that time …. But that data nor the means by which it is acquired, is not presented.

He cites tow other papers which might contain that information … but the whole pack of data is from the year 2000 and before, and thus has no information about the newer, higher-priced,, supposedly higher-tech helmets we were discussing.

A lot of words, RiceAWay … “ … full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing.”
Old 08-26-20, 12:04 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,296 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
By the way …. The link RiceAWay providd offers basically no information. It doesn’t show anything except the number of cycling and pedestrian fatalities. A claim is made that helmet use rose during that time …. But that data nor the means by which it is acquired, is not presented.
The link is just something written by RiceAway two decades ago. It should be treated with the same scepticism as anything he posts directly on the forum.
Old 08-26-20, 06:03 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I try to find a good used helmet from a private seller. That way, someone else has taken the depreciation. I get one with a few miles left in it, needing only routine service items like de-lousing and replacing the pads and straps.
Depreciation?

I would take that into account buying a house or a car, but not a device meant to protect my health. Helmets have a life span, being exposed to sun, heat, UV, etc.

Let me take a wild guess: you're an accountant, right?
Likes For bblair:
Old 08-26-20, 06:07 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Originally Posted by Wanderer
lol, Men, don't wear outfits!
You and I know that, but the Mrs. doesn't the difference between a derailleur and a disk brake. At least she didn't say "costume."
Old 08-26-20, 06:53 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
The link is just something written by RiceAway two decades ago. It should be treated with the same scepticism as anything he posts directly on the forum.
The best aprt is that it doesn't in any way address the issue. According to emergency room statistics, dying on a bike correlates with: No helmet, no lights at night, rising the wrong way, and intoxication. Even if more people were wearing helmets .... they weren't the ones getting hit in the first place.

Also, there is Zero proof that int e real world, helmets prevent fatalities when getting hit by cars. Even a motorcycle or auto-racing crash helmet isn't going to help much if it hits the pavement driven by a 3500-lb mass traveling at 50 mph.

It always cracks me up when helmets are listed as "Ways to avoid collisions."

I only wear a helmet off-road or when mandated on organized rides. I have been riding in traffic fro more than 50 years and haven't been hit since I stopped riding like a jerk and taking crazy chances. not that it can't happen ... but the best way to not have to worry about the quality of your headgear is to not get hit by a car.

Yeah, I might get hit anyway ... plenty of better and safer riders than I have been mowed down. We all leave here someday in some way anyway.

I think this is ready to be moved to the Repository of Helmet Threads. Nothing really more to say here.
Old 08-26-20, 07:53 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,992 Times in 2,664 Posts
Having ridden the Giro Synthe, Lazer Z1 and Abus GameChanger as well as a ton of cheap helmets over the years I can say the 3 helmets listed are generally lightweight. more comfortable, better ventilated or in the case of the Gamechanger more aerodynamic (which didn't matter to me one bit) plus they are generally put through more tests and more designing. They aren't built to just pass a test they are built to exceed the tests and might have even better tests to help with impacts and other issues.

You can certainly wear any helmet from a quality brand but your noggin will thank you for a nicer helmet.
Old 08-26-20, 10:13 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,489 Times in 4,189 Posts
Thanks for that video, it confirms what I thought. $200 for a slot to store my sunglasses seems a bit much.

I guess I could follow my wife's lead and buy the one that goes with my outfit.
Lighter.
Better air circulation.
Easier fit adjustment.
more fit adjustment.

4 typical benefits to a more expensive helmet.
Old 08-27-20, 02:17 AM
Maelochs

Actually, according to some of the test data, a number of $60 helmets offer all the protection of the $400 helmets, and most brands have the same adjustment system for the whole range. I have a cheap Bell with tons of vents and the same dial-up fit that all Bell helmets have.

The only constant is the more expensive helmets cost more.

The more expensive helmets Might offer other benefits, or might not. But hey ... anyone who buys based on price and assumes more cost equals more value, go to it. Your are supporting the economy.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 08-27-20, 05:50 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by hillyman
Because if your not wearing an expensive helmet other cyclists won't wave at you
Which is why I keep the price tag taped to my helmet.
Old 08-27-20, 05:57 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Depreciation?

I would take that into account buying a house or a car, but not a device meant to protect my health. Helmets have a life span, being exposed to sun, heat, UV, etc.

Let me take a wild guess: you're an accountant, right?
Um. Meant to be tongue in cheek, because helmets aren't expensive after all (from the OP's complaint). I guess that the humor escaped you?
Old 08-27-20, 06:20 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Well, some differences? Weight (can vary by quite a bit), overall build quality when compared to the really cheap end of the spectrum, supposed aero benefits (which may or may not be actually real), and the style and looks of it, of course.

I'm currently mostly using a MET Trenta which weighs 215g, is well ventilated and is reportedly aero, and cost about $230. It's probably not any safer than a $50 helmet in a crash, but it is really lighter and I'm going to trust the aero claims. Ventilation is adequate even during the height of our summer (I'd sometimes get too hot under the old lid in the sun - it might have contributed that it was black, while I got this one in white).

Fit is going to depend on how well your head and the helmet shape play together, which is not related to price, and I don't think safety is meaningfully different so that one helmet would save you where the other wouldn't. I would rather have the lightest and most minimalistic helmet I can in a race.

Last edited by Branko D; 08-27-20 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-27-20, 06:22 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
It will be a bit interesting to see what the helmet market looks like when/if the new CEN/TC 158 testing standard.. basically developed by a team lead by the MIPS founder.
Old 08-27-20, 09:35 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
It will be a bit interesting to see what the helmet market looks like when/if the new CEN/TC 158 testing standard.. basically developed by a team lead by the MIPS founder.
Conflict of interest. MIPS is a for-profit business.

The term "regulatory capture" refers to the business strategy of developing intellectual property on a technology (patents, etc.) and then lobbying governments to mandate it.

My skepticism just went through the roof.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 08-28-20, 06:01 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
https://helmets.org/testbycost.htm

Dan
Old 08-28-20, 06:06 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Conflict of interest. MIPS is a for-profit business.

The term "regulatory capture" refers to the business strategy of developing intellectual property on a technology (patents, etc.) and then lobbying governments to mandate it.

My skepticism just went through the roof.
One interesting note though -- Kask has not adopted MIPS for their helmets, but will label their helmets (that pass anyway) with this new 'standard'. So they seem to think it's possible to not install MIPs but still pass and protect in a similar manner.
KASK on MIPS
Old 08-28-20, 06:16 AM
Monkey Face

Bikes: Giant Revolt 2. Velo Orange Pass Hunter flat bar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Big difference IMHO, is ventilation.. to make superior ventilation airflow,

and still have adequate crash worthiness, is more expensive to develop & produce..
With respect, that's exactly the kind of over-thinking that manufacturers encourage, allowing them to hike their prices. It might, just might, be true for professional cyclists, but for the 99.9999% of the rest of us helmet aerodynamics and ventilation are secondary to safety certification and comfort.
Old 08-28-20, 07:30 AM
bblair

Not really wanting to go into a shop and try on helmets, especially with a limited selection.....and not wanting to buy blind online......I ordered a new RocLoc fit system for my Giro helmet. All of $10. Of course, I ordered more stuff that I really could have waited for, but it was just so easy.
Old 08-28-20, 07:57 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by Monkey Face
for the 99.9999% of the rest of us helmet aerodynamics and ventilation are secondary to safety certification and comfort.
Good thing there is no connection between ventilation and comfort, then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.