Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Any CX Gates Carbon Drive Builds?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-20, 03:33 PM
La Brea Bike

Bikes: 02 Litespeed Ultimate, 84 & 85 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Raleigh Prestige, 85 Raleigh 555 RSL, '20 Raleigh Tamland, 38 Raleigh, 85 Landshark "Raleigh", '84 Marinoni Levi's Raleigh, SB4484, SB7979, Raleigh SSCXWC, 87 Raleigh USA 531 Prototype

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 79 Posts

I have a SSCX Frame inbound that has the Belt Drive Cut-out, and thought it would be a cool build. I can find very little about how people have built these before. Has anyone built one of these? What did you do for a hub setup? What was your experience? TIA!

Old 12-02-20, 09:25 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
What kind of riding are you going to use it for? It would be good as a single speed or for adventuring/touring, but if you want to ride hills or go fast, I probably wouldn't recommend it. I have a commuter bike with a Gates carbon belt and 8-speed Shimano Alfine internally geared hub. It works well as a commuter (no greasy pant legs, less maintenance), but it is substantially heavier than a traditional derailleur and is a less efficient drive train. If you want to have a wide range of gears, you'll probably need a Rohloff hub, which will set you back close to $1500, and it's still heavy.
Likes For mattcalifornia:
Old 12-03-20, 06:25 AM
La Brea Bike

Bikes: 02 Litespeed Ultimate, 84 & 85 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Raleigh Prestige, 85 Raleigh 555 RSL, '20 Raleigh Tamland, 38 Raleigh, 85 Landshark "Raleigh", '84 Marinoni Levi's Raleigh, SB4484, SB7979, Raleigh SSCXWC, 87 Raleigh USA 531 Prototype

Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
What kind of riding are you going to use it for? It would be good as a single speed or for adventuring/touring, but if you want to ride hills or go fast, I probably wouldn't recommend it.
Yes, single speed. I have a gravel bike in the stable. From the feedback on the supposed weight, reliability, and durability of the belts drives, it seemed like a great choice in making an ultra light reliable option. I have only found glancing shots of race bike hubs so far however. I see that Gates sells a traditional SS Freewheel for this purpose, but it was spendy.
Old 12-03-20, 12:04 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Sounds cool. I see you live in LA too. Where would you be riding a SS CX bike? Almost all the dirt riding I know of is hilly. Or is this just a cool street bike?
Old 12-03-20, 12:51 PM
La Brea Bike

Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
Sounds cool. I see you live in LA too. Where would you be riding a SS CX bike? Almost all the dirt riding I know of is hilly. Or is this just a cool street bike?
I was hoping for more of an urban dual sport, but I have friends that love the trails around Lake Havasu on their SS CX bikes. I'm not planning on any racing (that scene does exist here however).