Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Show us your gravel/cross bike...

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Show us your gravel/cross bike...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-20, 02:01 PM
RefRick

Bikes: Trek Domane 4, Cannondale H400, Velo Orange Pass Hunter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 7 Posts
Pass Hunter build

I picked up this Velo Orange Pass Hunter frame set for $25 last year on Craigslist, it had never been assembled. A gentleman was selling his friend’s bike collection after he passed unexpectedly. He was fully aware of the value, and sold it to me because I intended to build rather than just resell it for profit.

GRX 800 series 1x drivetrain with an XT 11-42 cassette. Replaced the GRX brake calipers with XTR because I needed post-mount. VO Voyager 650B wheelset. This allowed me to run a wider, 42mm tire.

Velo Orange have been outstanding with their support every step of the way even though I bought the frame second hand.

Shimano XTR calipers

Crank Brothers Doubleshot pedals

Orange and black KMC chain was a late addition because it was orange and black!
Old 12-14-20, 02:22 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
Originally Posted by RefRick
I picked up this Velo Orange Pass Hunter frame set for $25 last year on Craigslist, it had never been assembled.
Screaming deal on the frameset. Unfortunate way to come by it, but really incredible deal.
I like the orange Speedsleev bag, nice addition. I now have these on all my road bikes and gravel bike. Love em for the simplicity and lack of movement.
If you rotate those bars down so the levers are even with the ground, you may be able to ride in the drops and access the levers easier. Those bars look like the ends were designed to be closer to level with the ground. If its a fit issue though, the current setup makes sense.
Old 12-14-20, 02:45 PM
RefRick

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Screaming deal on the frameset. Unfortunate way to come by it, but really incredible deal.
I like the orange Speedsleev bag, nice addition. I now have these on all my road bikes and gravel bike. Love em for the simplicity and lack of movement.
If you rotate those bars down so the levers are even with the ground, you may be able to ride in the drops and access the levers easier. Those bars look like the ends were designed to be closer to level with the ground. If its a fit issue though, the current setup makes sense.
Thank you for the tip, I appreciate it. The bars are Daija Far Bars. Yesterday I logged about 20 miles in the city and 10 on a hardpack gravel towpath and things weren't too bad. I am close to dialed in but still fiddling a little with the fit. I will definitely give that a try.

The Speedsleev bag is great. Helped someone with a flat yesterday and it was so much more organized than a traditional bag. I will be adding these to my other bikes as the need arises as well.
Old 12-14-20, 02:57 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Thank you for the tip, I appreciate it. The bars are Daija Far Bars. Yesterday I logged about 20 miles in the city and 10 on a hardpack gravel towpath and things weren't too bad. I am close to dialed in but still fiddling a little with the fit. I will definitely give that a try.

The Speedsleev bag is great. Helped someone with a flat yesterday and it was so much more organized than a traditional bag. I will be adding these to my other bikes as the need arises as well.
Dajia, huh? Keeping it heavy on VO parts! Neat.
Take a look at this for a general bar angle setup that VO has. The 3rd pic gives a good side angle view. https://velo-orange.blogspot.com/201...nter-with.html
Ultimately though, bars need to be set up to ensure the rider is comfortable, so if a level top isnt in the cards then set it where you need and ride.
Old 12-14-20, 04:33 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
I picked up this Velo Orange Pass Hunter frame set for $25 last year on Craigslist, it had never been assembled. A gentleman was selling his friend’s bike collection after he passed unexpectedly. He was fully aware of the value, and sold it to me because I intended to build rather than just resell it for profit.

GRX 800 series 1x drivetrain with an XT 11-42 cassette. Replaced the GRX brake calipers with XTR because I needed post-mount. VO Voyager 650B wheelset. This allowed me to run a wider, 42mm tire.

Velo Orange have been outstanding with their support every step of the way even though I bought the frame second hand.

Shimano XTR calipers

Crank Brothers Doubleshot pedals

Orange and black KMC chain was a late addition because it was orange and black!
One sweet bike! Matching Crosstrek too I hope?
Old 12-14-20, 05:04 PM
RefRick

Dajia, huh? Keeping it heavy on VO parts! Neat.
I didn't come here to promote VO, but I cannot overstate how helpful they were throughout this build. They earned some brand loyalty from me and I have gone back to them several times since for things for my other bikes.

I can see the difference in the handlebar positioning you are talking about in the picture. You were spot on in your first message about accessing the levers from the drops. Right now I need to come out of the drops to get to them. We are getting snow here tomorrow and Wednesday. Seems like the perfect opportunity to drop this onto the trainer and start adjusting.
Old 12-14-20, 05:06 PM
RefRick

Originally Posted by 2cam16
One sweet bike! Matching Crosstrek too I hope?
That is in fact my matching Crosstrek as well. I also ride an orange motorcycle!
Likes For RefRick:
Old 12-15-20, 07:46 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Posted it in the cross bike sticky, but hey, here she is again! Love this bike, 2021 Giant Revolt Advanced 2. She'll get upgraded to GRX di2 if Shimano ever gets caught up on their supply delays. The mech GRX stuff is really nice tho, def no complaints. This is currently my only bike and she does great on the road with a second wheelset (altho, to be honest, I ride the gravel wheels/tires on the road a lot, because they're still pretty fast/comfortable, and then I can shoot offroad if I feel like it).

Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 12-15-20, 05:24 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
I picked up this Velo Orange Pass Hunter
Just saw this post - love the orange and black! Especially the pedals.

I agree with others re: the position of your Daija Far Bars - I have those on a 650b conversion bike and like them very much - many more useable hand positions for me than a more standard bar. My bars are rotated down more than yours - gives me 2 positions below and 3 on/above. (photo).

Very nice!

Old 12-19-20, 08:47 PM
MAGAIVER

Bikes: Kona Unit, Kona Kahuna, Kona Dew DL, Scott Big Jon, Trek Checkpoint ALR4, KHS Urban Soul, Haro Team Issue, GT Force Expert Carbon, Bernardi Quadra.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 25 Posts
Went back to the Salsa Cowchipper handlebars because I wanted to try the PRO bars on my other bike, got in an accident, destroyed the other bike and I guess i'm stuck with the salsa bars for now, good thing I'm actually liking it a lot.
Likes For MAGAIVER:
Old 12-28-20, 03:37 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3669 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
Originally Posted by MAGAIVER
Went back to the Salsa Cowchipper handlebars because I wanted to try the PRO bars on my other bike, got in an accident, destroyed the other bike and I guess i'm stuck with the salsa bars for now, good thing I'm actually liking it a lot.
Very nice
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 12-28-20, 07:21 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3136 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
Originally Posted by keithdunlop
Recently finished a new Soma Fog Cutter build. It's intended as primarily a daily commuter once I get a rack delivered, but it's a terrific gravel ride as well.

Soma Fog Cutter
I "liked" this pic earlier, but in the wonky loading of this page as I viewed it today, this pic wound up in front of me again, and man, I just gotta say that, to my eye, this bike is *extremely* handsome. And the picture is dope, too. Ride that with pride and enjoy it! Kudos!
Likes For chaadster:
Old 12-28-20, 07:53 PM
keithdunlop

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Professional (for Eroica), 2011 Ridley Noah ISP (retired), 2020 Soma Fog Cutter (daily commuter), 2021 Ridley Kanzo Adventure (gravel), 2022 Tideace Aero (main road bike).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I "liked" this pic earlier, but in the wonky loading of this page as I viewed it today, this pic wound up in front of me again, and man, I just gotta say that, to my eye, this bike is *extremely* handsome. And the picture is dope, too. Ride that with pride and enjoy it! Kudos!
Thanks so much for that! I've put the bike through its paces since then with some gnarly gravel rides and she rides like a dream (and is now very dirty). There is a video of her maiden ride on my @slospokes IG feed. Climbing with a 24.5 pound bike doesn't quite measure up to my full-carbon Ridley, but the overall ride quality has me planning a steel frame for my next performance road build.

Last edited by keithdunlop; 12-28-20 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-28-20, 08:20 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Thanks so much for that! I've put the bike through its paces since then with some gnarly gravel rides and she rides like a dream (and is now very dirty). There is a video of her maiden ride on my #slospokes IG feed. Climbing with a 24.5 pound bike doesn't quite measure up to my full-carbon Ridley, but the overall ride quality has me planning a steel frame for my next performance road build.
You're welcome, but if you're trolling for sympathy because it weighs 24.5lbs, you'll get none here! I'd *love* a 24lbs rig, because my "solo gravel" bike clocks in at 31lbs!! That thing is an instant thigh burner when the road tips up, and if I don't have an extra 150w on tap, it might be faster for me to get off and push! Haha! I'm lovin' it though, and I do have a 19lbs alu rig for those rides where I have to keep up appearances with the gang.

Old 12-29-20, 08:08 PM
keithdunlop

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Professional (for Eroica), 2011 Ridley Noah ISP (retired), 2020 Soma Fog Cutter (daily commuter), 2021 Ridley Kanzo Adventure (gravel), 2022 Tideace Aero (main road bike).

Not complaining, it just took a while to accept that I could be happy on a 24.5 pound bike after being spoiled by my speedy 17 pound carbon aero bike.
Likes For keithdunlop:
Old 12-29-20, 10:17 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Not complaining, it just took a while to accept that I could be happy on a 24.5 pound bike after being spoiled by my speedy 17 pound carbon aero bike.
Oh, I was only teasing and trying to be funny; I should have used a winky emoji!
Old 12-30-20, 05:17 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Recently finished a new Soma Fog Cutter build. It's intended as primarily a daily commuter once I get a rack delivered, but it's a terrific gravel ride as well.

Soma Fog Cutter
Out of curiosity, why did you choose the black fork over the paint matching? I agree that they are great bikes, the new one is due out soon.

This is how mine sits currently. It was built as a commuter, but it's not seeing much of that since I'm working at home.
Old 12-30-20, 05:59 PM
keithdunlop

Originally Posted by katsup
Out of curiosity, why did you choose the black fork over the paint matching? I agree that they are great bikes, the new one is due out soon.

This is how mine sits currently. It was built as a commuter, but it's not seeing much of that since I'm working at home.
I tried to find a matching red fork but couldn't find one anywhere. In the end I figured the black would look fine with the black drivetrain and finishing.
Old 12-30-20, 06:56 PM
katsup

I tried to find a matching red fork but couldn't find one anywhere. In the end I figured the black would look fine with the black drivetrain and finishing.
Makes sense. I built mine before covid so parts were still available.
Old 12-30-20, 07:15 PM
keithdunlop

Originally Posted by katsup
Makes sense. I built mine before covid so parts were still available.
Sourcing parts was a nightmare. And, I think I got the last frameset - it was only available at Modern Bike and they're showing "out of stock" for everything Soma across the board now. DT Swiss hubs were particularly hard to find.
Old 12-30-20, 07:24 PM
keithdunlop

I might swap out for the carbon fork which still seems to be available.

Old 12-30-20, 09:20 PM
katsup

I might swap out for the carbon fork which still seems to be available.
There are many photos of the bike with the carbon fork. I just like the look of the steel fork against a non tapered head tube.

The new Fog Cutter that is suppose to be released in 2021 will be blue, so not sure you'll see any more red forks.

Edit: Soma has been helpful when I email (somainfo@somafab.com), maybe try to see if they have any red 43mm steel forks laying around, if you really want one.

Last edited by katsup; 12-30-20 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-02-21, 11:34 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Took delivery last month but waited until New Years Day for its first ride.

Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 01-02-21, 03:37 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Ghazmh
Took delivery last month but waited until New Years Day for its first ride.
that looks great- especially with the tan wall MSO tires.
Whats the difference in design and use between this and the Honey AR?
Old 01-03-21, 06:17 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
that looks great- especially with the tan wall MSO tires.
Whats the difference in design and use between this and the Honey AR?
The Allroads comes in 12 stock frame sizes, has straight gauge tubing. It is available with blasted logos or a few colors of decals, no paint. The Evergreen has custom geometry, different rear end designs from tube sizes to bend shapes to choose from. It is available with butted tubes and custom paint.

My Allroads is built up as a rain/bad weather bike. I have PDW Shiny Metal Fenders with 32mm slick Gravelkings, CK hubs with Belgium+ rims and Ultegra. Besides the frame differences my Evergreen is all GRX800, tubeless with wider tires, CK hubs with Belgium gravel rims and no fenders. I intend for the Evergreen to be ridden on mixed terrain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.