Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Repairing a carbon bike

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Repairing a carbon bike

Old 10-13-19, 10:48 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Repairing a carbon bike

Can You Repair A Carbon Fiber Bike?

Likes For CycleryNorth81:
Old 10-13-19, 10:49 PM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Anything that's been built, can be repaired. Just a question of whether it's economically viable to do so
Old 10-14-19, 06:27 AM
honcho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
An acquaintance buys damaged CF bikes for cheap, repairs them and resells. While his work looks good, I question the strength and durability of the repairs, not to mention his ethics in selling the repaired bikes without full disclosure.
Old 10-14-19, 06:30 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I damaged the chainstay on mine and sent it to Calfee. $350 later it was as good as new.

Much cheaper than a new frame.
Old 10-14-19, 01:27 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
The fork on my avatar bike developed several cracks around the crown. It's completely custom spec and the manufacture no longer exists, so it was either repair it or have a custom one built. My repairs have held for 3000 miles so far.

Last edited by BlazingPedals; 02-04-21 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-14-19, 05:07 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Yes. Whether you should is more the question. And like most questions, it depends.
Old 10-15-19, 02:36 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Very impressive. It's only just up the road from where I live and I'd never heard of it before.
Old 10-15-19, 02:51 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yup, after watching a bunch of videos on carbon fiber flaws and repairs, I'm a bit more confident in repairs but horrified about the shoddy quality control in some of the industry. Watch some Luescher Teknik videos at your peril. Kinda justifies ponying up the extra cash for Trek or any company that offers a really good warranty.

Ditto, the fellow behind the Hambini bearings company -- although he's amusingly irreverent and seems to be credible. Although he needs to wash his dang bikes -- his bikes are even filthier than mine. But his observations on carbon fiber and bearings are fascinating, if a bit techy.

A friend gave me a couple of bikes that we divvied up for components. I was just about to build up a featherweight Diamondback Podium frame using parts cribbed from a Trek tri-bike with cracked frame (stress, not wrecked). I was just gonna slap on all the parts and ride, but after watching some Luescher Teknik videos I ain't riding that bike until I've completely disassembled everything and studied it under a magnifying glass and tapped every square centimeter. Nothing against Diamondback -- they were very clever in designing internal cable routing that's easy to redo, no need for magnets or weird tricks to thread cables back through. But after seeing so many examples of frames, forks, steerers, handlebars, etc., with voids and cracks, I'm gonna be much more diligent about carbon fiber stuff.

And I'm not gonna risk a sub-$100 carbon fiber handlebar just to save a few grams. Especially those complex carbon bars with aero tops and bonded ends/drops, and holes for aero cable routing -- there's no margin for error if there's a void. I'll stick with good brand aluminum bars.

But if I had a good quality carbon fiber frame that I liked and the main tubes, chainstays, etc., needed patching, sure, I'd consider it.
Old 10-15-19, 04:50 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I am certainly no CF repair expert, but having read and watched quite a lot about it from multiple different people with different backgrounds, especially those from aerospace, the ultimate quality of any proposed CF repair to a frame is highly, highly dependent upon the expertise and experience of the person/team doing the repairs. So, I guess the lesson from these people is to always try to find the very best CF repair shop you can. They need to have a lot of experience doing this kind of work. Send it off if you have to. Don't skimp. The consequences of a deficient frame repair could be catastrophic, obviously.

Several years ago, I was meeting with a rep from one of my insurance companies, Northwestern Mutual. Anyhow, he saw my Orbea sitting in the corner of my place and asked if it was carbon fiber. Yes, I said, it was. He then proceeded to tell me about several death claims they had paid or were processing of clients whose carbon fiber frames had suffered catastrophic failures at speed. I raised my eyebrows.It frightened me.

Then, I bought another carbon fiber bike.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 10-15-19, 07:01 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by bpcyclist
especially those from aerospace, the ultimate quality of any proposed CF repair to a frame is highly, highly dependent upon the expertise and experience of the person/team doing the repairs. So, I guess the lesson from these people is to always try to find the very best CF repair shop you can. They need to have a lot of experience doing this kind of work.

https://calfeedesign.com/carbon-repair/
Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-15-19, 07:15 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Use enough duck tape and you can fix anythin'.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 02-04-21, 04:00 PM
Jbages23

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
I damaged the chainstay on mine and sent it to Calfee. $350 later it was as good as new.

Much cheaper than a new frame.
same issue with my tri-bike...Calfee wants 350, without paint or finishing... Don't forget the cost to strip the bike down, ship and rebuild.. if it's not DIY., I'm in NY. its about 1k, if.your checking everything else on the bike during the rebuild,
Old 02-04-21, 04:08 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
For me, I've done it myself. Not rocket science. Just have to have patience and an eye for detail.

I draw the line at it has to be frame related. No handlebars, no stems, no seat posts, no forks. Those can be replaced separate anyway usually for $200 or less.

I've done a chainstay and a top tube. The hardest part is making it "look good". It's stupid simple to make a repair stronger than the original carbon (and heavier). The money and art is in making a repair not seem visible with the sanding/layup or repainting.

My repairs are more visible since they are DIY. Doesn't bother me. I'm not reselling either. When done, I'll either trash them or put them permanently on an indoor trainer.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 02-04-21, 04:43 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Jbages23
Don't forget the cost to strip the bike down, ship and rebuild.. if it's not DIY.,
it is a DIY job.. .for me

Old 02-05-21, 07:19 AM
Phillipnamese

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
lol
Old 02-06-21, 12:09 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Over at CGOAB there is a guy writing. journal about building a custom carbon recumbent for his son. He seems to be doing it in just a home shop, with conventional tools, no vacuum ovens, or unobtanium catalysts. It is pretty interesting/impressive.
Old 02-06-21, 01:29 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
Over at CGOAB there is a guy writing. journal about building a custom carbon recumbent for his son. He seems to be doing it in just a home shop, with conventional tools, no vacuum ovens, or unobtanium catalysts. It is pretty interesting/impressive.
Link? CGOAB is a huge site. Never mind, I found it.
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/p...id=563153&v=Yh

Last edited by BlazingPedals; 02-07-21 at 10:06 AM.