Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking for a Road Bicycle $3500 or less.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 12-28-19, 12:46 AM
Jsinon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am getting back into bicycling and since I last bought a bike everything has changed. I am beginning training for the Seattle to Portland bike ride, 200 miles in two days. I am curious what I should be looking for? Disc brakes? Tubeless? Manufacturer? Comfort? Or anything other information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-28-19, 01:08 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I will be riding the SEA-PDX along with you.

With this budget, you have a whole lot of flexibility. What kind of riding will you typically be doing? Mileage?

Out here in the Rain Meccas, I do think a lot of folks are going to recommend in favor of disc brakes. They do work better in our wetness, no doubt. That said, the bike I primarily ride actually has rim brakes. I ride it because I like everything else about that bike better than my other stuff. Rim brakes do work just fine in the rain, as long as you know what you are doing. People seem to forget that we got by without disc brakes for a very long time and everything seemed to be mostly just fine. Now, it's like rim brakes are just horrific if it's wet. I don't agree with that. And I live in Portland. Anyway, if you find a bike you adore that has rim brakes, I would not be dissuaded from it, even though you are in the PNW. Just my take based on my own rain experience, which, obviously, is fairly extensive.

Doing 100 miles in a day, you are going to want a comfortable geometry for that ride, but then, if all your other riding is for, say 45 minutes at a time, buying a more endurance geometry may actually not be your overall best bet. Depends on your goals. I have a more aggressive geometry on my main ride and I feel quite comfy riding long distances, but I'm used to it. We'll see what others say.
Have you thought about steel vs. carbon fiber vs. aluminum? They all have tradeoffs.

You can get a very nice groupset at your price, but likely not electronic. Still a bit expensive, unless you find one used.

In my opinion, any major manufacturer should give you a solid frame. I have had a bunch of bikes from a bunch of manufacturers and have had no complaints about any: BMC, Wilier, Orbea, Trek, Giant, on and on. They're all fine, in my view.

Anyhow, that is my take. You should end up with a very nice bike at your price-point, that's for sure.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 12-28-19, 04:21 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
To echo bpcyclist, rim brakes are just fine. OTOH, my cross bike has discs and I love them. But, rim brakes are not a deal breaker for me. I've been riding for 40 years and the best mod I've ever done is tubeless. Initially I was very skeptical. But then I saw a GCN video about Mavic USTs and I was curious. So, when I saw a Mavic Ksyrium Elite UST rear (with tire) for about $300, I went for it. Set up was done easily and my floor pump was all I needed to get on the road. Out on the road I was stunned. The ride was much smoother, effort was reduced, and everything was quicker and more comfortable. In addition, the Mavics were lighter than the Mavic Aksium clinchers that came with the bike. A CAAD 12 btw. As a result I found that I wanted to ride more and enjoyed it more when I did. My CAAD 12 got a UST front wheel and my Guru got a set as well. Both sets w/tires cost me less than $900. That's $450 per wheel set. Amazing.

Last edited by bruce19; 12-28-19 at 04:36 AM.
Old 12-28-19, 04:53 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Just one more thing. As a rule, a CF frame is going to cost you more than an AL frame of the same level of quality. So, for your $3500 you will get a higher level of components if you are OK with an aluminum frame. For instance, last June I bought this CAAD 12 for $1400 (new & on sale). It's as quick and comfortable as any bike I've ridden in 40 yrs. If I had had $3500 it would have come with Ultegra, Dura Ace, SRAM Red or maybe even Campy. I would never have been able to do that with a CF frame. OTOH, if you must have CF a 105 group is excellent. So, you have lots of good choices. Good luck.

Likes For bruce19:
Old 12-28-19, 06:40 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsinon
I am getting back into bicycling and since I last bought a bike everything has changed. I am beginning training for the Seattle to Portland bike ride, 200 miles in two days. I am curious what I should be looking for? Disc brakes? Tubeless? Manufacturer? Comfort? Or anything other information would be greatly appreciated.
My only suggestion is to buy a bike with current standards. I recently bought a Giant hybrid with the old style QR axles. It's hard to find a reasonably priced replacement set without going full custom.

So, 12mm through axles, tubeless wheels, and *gasp* disc brakes. The rest is just about how a bike fits and feels for you and your body type.
Likes For Bryan C.:
Old 12-28-19, 07:07 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
The OP should tell us more about himself. For example: does he have a bike now ;where; he lives; present fitness level; why he wants to ride from Seattle to Portland ; and if he plans to continue cycling after after the ride. Also, there is a long distance forum with lots of advice on bikes and how to prepare for endurance events. Take a look at some of the threads there.

The essentials of bicycling hasn't really changed that much. It is still a man or woman and a bicycle
Old 12-28-19, 07:47 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
The Giant Defy Advanced 1 has what you want for $2950. https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/defy-advanced-1-2020 Endurance geometry, 12mm thru axle, flat mount, tubeless, Ultegra hydraulic. Lots of Giant dealers around so should be easy to find.
Old 12-28-19, 11:03 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 347 Posts
How bout a Moulton! On ebay....cheap too!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F323995502831
Likes For big chainring:
Old 12-28-19, 11:35 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
How did you come up with that budget? Seems like a lot for someone just getting back into it. My wife had similar ambitions a few years ago and she ended up going with an aluminum 105. I'd be surprised if she's ridden it 200 miles total. I was prepared to drop $3,500+ on a nice bike, but in hindsight I'm glad we didn't go that route. You can always get a nicer bike later and keep the starter bike as a backup/rain bike. All the specific recommendations you'll get are really just personal preferences, and it's impossible to know what your personal preferences are until you spend a bunch of time in the saddle. A hundred mile day is around six hours in the saddle give-or-take so it doesn't really require anything special. I do a lot of randonneuring, and the equipment choices that group makes are quite different than what you'll see on the typical group ride.
Likes For kingston:
Old 12-28-19, 11:43 AM
Moishe
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 44 Posts
This is the perfect time of the year to get an end-of-year bike at substantial discount. Exactly a year ago, I bought this $5,000 Domane SLR6 Trek was selling all over the country for $3,600. It's an all-Ultegra "endurance bike" that is very geezer friendly. A lot of manufacturers make excellent endurance bikes, many of them being sold now at year-end discount.

Likes For Moishe:
Old 12-28-19, 01:26 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

I think OP has hit a sweet spot with his budget. He can get a bike with current features and Ultegra components that he probably won't feel the need to upgrade. Folks have different financial situations, I'll assume OP has his figured out.
Old 12-28-19, 03:54 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
Just about every manufacture makes bikes that can do this ride within your budget. When looking at the models, look for bikes advertised as endurance road, gravel / all road and light touring. However, unless you intend to use the bike a lot more than just the 1 ride, I'd echo what kingston said and look for a cheaper model, possibly used.

That being said, at the $3500 budget, I'd start looking at custom bikes. Rodriguez is located in Seattle and the Phinney Ridge looks like a nice bike. I have never ridden one, but plan to if I am ever in Seattle again.
Originally Posted by Bryan C.
My only suggestion is to buy a bike with current standards. I recently bought a Giant hybrid with the old style QR axles. It's hard to find a reasonably priced replacement set without going full custom.

So, 12mm through axles, tubeless wheels, and *gasp* disc brakes. The rest is just about how a bike fits and feels for you and your body type.
The thru axle "standard" is already changing and we are seeing it in different lengths with mountain bikes. Time will tell if it comes to gravel / road bikes, but it will make things more confusing / difficult. Personally, for a rigid bike, I don't see a need for thru axles, but a lot of manufactures are going this way. If wheels are your concern, you can always buy a wheelset with ends that can be replaced, such as Hope and DT Swiss.
Old 12-28-19, 04:22 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
I'm a bargain hunter, but I do like good quality and I don't want my bike frames to be mostly black. That rules out a whole lot of choices.

In July of 2018 I got a real bargain on a Colnago C-RS frame, with a really nice red and white paint job. Recently I came upon an even better deal on the same frame, apparently leftovers at a US Colnago warehouse. $700 for a normally $1700 frame is a steal. You could build one up with 2020 Campy Chorus 12 speed, Zonda wheels and other top quality parts, for less than your budget. When I built mine, I used an FSA K-force carbon post, Easton EC-90 bars, SMP Stratos saddle and Zipp stem. I chose Michelin power endurance tires, that last longer than the Pro 4. Mine weighs in at 7.4 Kg, without pedals.

Here's a link to the bike exchange website. https://www.bikeexchange.com/s/road-frames

Merlin cycles in the UK also has some decent prices on a number of leftover frames.

https://www.merlincycles.com/colnago...18-169017.html

The best price I've seen on the Chorus 12 groupset is from velomine.com

https://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=648&products_id=5323&zenid=snnu5pefgpo979fdt1ug2a6k
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 12-28-19, 06:02 PM
bgross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I can’t be the only one thinking this:
Don’t exclude “previously owned” bikes from your list.
With a budget of $3.5k, you can get *two* very nice bikes with different geometry, different wheels/tires, pedals/shoes, etc. for different purposes.
The fit (you and bike) is important - your fitness will increase with miles/hours on ANY bike that fits. Fit and fitness are the most important factors. You can ride a century on a 30 year old/35# steel mountain bike costing $200. Yeah, it’s more fun on a nice, light, metal road bike (that is still rideable after a crash!). But you can get one of those for <$1.5k.
Anyway... Enjoy!
Old 12-28-19, 10:30 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
My Specialized Roubaix Comp Ultegra Di2 came out to less than OP's budget new. Did 2019 STP 1 day on it, felt great. Only thing I changed was the drivetrain to a 12-25t cassette with shorter chain since the route's so flat.

Set some money aside for a bike fit a least a month before you undertake a long distance ride.
Old 12-29-19, 05:37 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Does anyone think the OP is going to post again? I usually avoid questions on this forum from posters who only have one post.
Likes For ironwood:
Old 12-29-19, 06:08 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Well, it's always fun to have an excuse to see what's out there. I was surprised at the value for $ of the Giant I linked earlier.
Old 12-29-19, 06:09 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Looking for a Road Bicycle $3500 or less
Originally Posted by ironwood
The OP should tell us more about himself. For example: does he have a bike now ;where; he lives; present fitness level; why he wants to ride from Seattle to Portland ; and if he plans to continue cycling after after the ride.

Also, there is a long distance forum with lots of advice on bikes and how to prepare for endurance events. Take a look at some of the threads there.

The essentials of bicycling hasn't really changed that much. It is still a man or woman and a bicycle
Originally Posted by ironwood
Does anyone think the OP is going to post again? I usually avoid questions on this forum from posters who only have one post.
Just prior to reading this thread I had posted to: "Any suggestions for a Hybrid??"
Originally Posted by TinyTm
(with 16 posts)Hi new to the forum, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a new Hybrid bike...

yada, yada, yada (detailed description of needs)...

I've looked at a Cannondale Adventure, Trek X-caliber, Cannondale Quick 3,4,5,6. Also price is a factor, trying to stay in the $700-$800 range. Thanks any info would be appreciated.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
FWIW, from personal experience, I would make this recommendation.
...Now here’s where I’m coming from. I have described myself as a decades-long, year-round lifestyle cyclist, and my favored bike is a high-end carbon fiber bike costing thousands of dollars..

I also have a aluminum beater road bike costing about $1500, and for me that was a minimal road bike, to be used in bad weather.

FWIW, I also have a Giant Escape hybrid bike that I recently bought for rehabilitation, because I was having trouble with my neck and shoulders riding the drop bars.

That bike cost about $600, and IMO was a good value as an all-round bike, certainly more amenable to off-road riding than my expensive carbon fiber road bike, and sturdy for my urban commute on the mean streets of Boston.
...In general all my bike purchases are more serendipitous than researched..
There certainly were detailed suggestions in the prior posts in this thread, but even though I have the above-described bikes and decades-long varied cycling experience, I usually just give a general answer without specifics:
"Help with choosing a bike."...

My shopping strategy for something important is to look at the high end (expensive) models first, just to know what’s available and then whittle downwards to find what’s acceptable, the so-called sweet spot of price/value.
Whenever I’m asked about buying a bike my questions are what do you want it for, and how much to spend?

IMO bikes of similar quality by brand names stratify in groups of about approximately $US 200 intervals
I'm sometimes annoyed when someone tells me,"You just have to read this book (see this movie...try this dish...)"

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-29-19 at 06:20 AM.
Old 12-29-19, 09:56 AM
Moishe
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 44 Posts
DaveSSS sez: "I'm a bargain hunter, but I do like good quality and I don't want my bike frames to be mostly black. That rules out a whole lot of choices."

Huh! I would not have bought my Domane SLR6 (pictured above) if it weren't black and especially if the black letters "TREK" were at all visible. I ain't gonna pay $3,600 to advertise for Trek.

Last edited by Moishe; 12-29-19 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-29-19, 11:04 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Moishe
DaveSSS sez: "I'm a bargain hunter, but I do like good quality and I don't want my bike frames to be mostly black. That rules out a whole lot of choices."

Huh! I would not have bought my Domane SLR6 (pictured above) if it weren't black and especially if the black letters "TREK" were at all visible. I ain't gonna pay $3,600 to advertise for Trek.
i agree about not advertising for Trek. Never owned one. Buying last year's leftovers is always a good way to save money.

I've owned my share of black bikes - LOOK 585, Cervelo R3 (for a few days), but I like red the best and I've had six red frames over years. I've also liked the fancy paint jobs on the two Colnago C-40 models I've owned - one Mapei team and one Rabobank team colors.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 12-29-19 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-29-19, 01:24 PM
ironwood

Originally Posted by DaveSSS

I've owned my share of black bikes - LOOK 585, Cervelo R3 (for a few days), but I like red the best and I've had six red frames over years.
Not to mention that red bikes are faster.
Likes For ironwood:
Old 12-30-19, 10:36 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I'm sometimes annoyed when someone tells me,"You just have to read this book (see this movie...try this dish...)"
You've just described my mother-in-law, who invariably will say, "Oh, Phil, you'll love this book that I'm reading..." Sigh. I say, "Really, Mom? Tell me more about it, please."

She really has no idea what types of books or authors that I've come to enjoy over my lifetime, or why, but that's irrelevant to the conversation.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 12-30-19, 10:48 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
How bout a Moulton! On ebay....cheap too!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F323995502831
Just needs a big bear with a tiny flowery hat riding it.
Old 12-31-19, 07:24 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsinon
It would be interesting to hear if you rode Seattle-Portland and what the conditions were and how you did. I did that so long ago all I can remember is it raining for the last 4 hours. I did it in a single day which was probably a bad idea since in the rain I did NOT like the traffic in the dark.