Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Trek 850

Old 07-14-22, 02:12 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 1,842 Times in 830 Posts
Trek 850

early to mid 90's trek 850. We bought it new sometime in the early to mid 90's it is a small frame wife is 5'3" made in the USA trutemper. all original but seat and tires. any value at all?

Old 07-14-22, 03:33 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Assuming everything works, sure there's value in it. It will be far better than a new, comparable department store bike. It has better components and will be lighter.

That bike is just screaming to be someone's "rails to trails" bike. The small size won't matter to most women.
Old 07-14-22, 03:49 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by TugaDude
Assuming everything works, sure there's value in it. It will be far better than a new, comparable department store bike. It has better components and will be lighter.

That bike is just screaming to be someone's "rails to trails" bike. The small size won't matter to most women.
yes everything works great shifts smooth and brakes are responsive. My wife just bought a new Cannondale quick CX3 so I don't see this seeing much use anymore. Is $150 in the ballpark or is that too much? thanks
Old 07-14-22, 09:17 PM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 132 Posts
In this day and age a good, solid and name brand bike, IMHO should be worth $150 all day long. Everybody knows and respects the old steel framed Treks. And since you're from a college town start advertising the bike a couple of weeks before school starts. Even if it is a little bit on the small side that bike is perfect for a shorter college student.
Old 07-14-22, 10:02 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Agree $150 is reasonable
Old 07-15-22, 08:12 AM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 2,230 Times in 1,303 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
early to mid 90's trek 850. We bought it new sometime in the early to mid 90's
This is the 1997 model.
Likes For Clang:
Old 07-15-22, 08:24 AM
jadmt

Originally Posted by Clang
This is the 1997 model.
thanks that makes sense. I couldn't remember for sure. I knew we bought it new shortly after one of my kids were born, one was born in 1993 the other in 1996. ). I was think it probably was the first one, but you know the memory is the first to go lol. we have photos of pulling them in a trailer with it. I would run and my wife would follow along with them in the trailer..once we thought it would be fun to let my oldest one take photos along the way so we gave her one of those disposable cameras and when we got the photos back every single one was of the back of my wife's butt/seat area lol.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 07-15-22, 08:37 AM
daywood 

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 92 Posts
That bike is a really good foundation for nearly endless possibilities as a fun second bike. I guess there are people out there who are happy riding one bike, but I don’t understand them. 😀
Old 07-16-22, 07:52 AM
jadmt

Originally Posted by daywood
That bike is a really good foundation for nearly endless possibilities as a fun second bike. I guess there are people out there who are happy riding one bike, but I don’t understand them. 😀
I would definitely keep it if it were bigger. it is the 13" so pretty limited use. my wife is 60 yoa and having a play bike does not appeal to her anymore .
Likes For jadmt:
Old 09-13-22, 07:19 AM
jadmt

Originally Posted by HelpSingularity
In this day and age a good, solid and name brand bike, IMHO should be worth $150 all day long. Everybody knows and respects the old steel framed Treks. And since you're from a college town start advertising the bike a couple of weeks before school starts. Even if it is a little bit on the small side that bike is perfect for a shorter college student.
I guess college kids don't want bikes like this anymore.. I am down to $110 and not a single offer. I thought it would sell when I dropped it to $125.
Old 09-13-22, 07:33 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
I guess college kids don't want bikes like this anymore.. I am down to $110 and not a single offer. I thought it would sell when I dropped it to $125.
I continually see good mid tier vintage MTBs in the $50 to $100 range. I even see some of the better stuff at $100.

Be sure to check your "competition" (other sellers in your price range). Bike size should be a plus in a college town, I would have expected it to sell at the $125 mark.

Great pictures and a good ad matter too, as well as proximity to buyers. A lot of buyers won't drive 10 miles. To overcome that hurdle, I offer to meet at a convenient location in my ad ("can meet at the university union, or whatever).

I checked your ad. It could use better pictures, neutral background not in direct sun, all pictures outdoors. Since you are on C/L, up to 12 pictures are free, I'd use them all.

If someone in the family works in town, offer to meet there in a central location.

I did a quick look at the competition, there are some good bikes at low prices in Missoula right now. Great pictures could differentiate yours!

Last edited by wrk101; 09-13-22 at 07:48 AM.
Old 09-13-22, 07:48 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
$100 max, put it on CL, and top post every 48 hours.....if multiple cities are nearby put it on those CL's and do the same.

It can take patience to sell bikes. I have had a couple nice bikes that were hard to sell, and I found it surprising.

I use to pass on these Treks when I saw them back in my regular bike score days, they always seemed kind of frumpy for lack of a better term. Of course I never saw any really good vintage mountain bikes, Hybrid Bikes compared to the really nice Roadies I could find with the exception of that 91' 750 I sold foolishly.

It took me four months of top posting on Balto, and DC CL to sell that 750 for $175 in 2010. So it can be a slog. (Duh, I should have kept it!)
Old 09-13-22, 07:50 AM
jadmt

Originally Posted by wrk101
I continually see good mid tier vintage MTBs in the $50 to $100 range. I even see some of the better stuff at $100.

Are you selling on FB marketplace? Around here, FB marketplace is awful for sellers, great for buyers. Its hard to navigate, bikes show up in a lot of different categories. C/L continues to do somewhat better for sellers.

For this reason, I have not bought a bike off C/L in a few years, but I routinely find them on FB marketplace.

Be sure to check your "competition" (other sellers in your price range). Bike size should be a plus in a college town, I would have expected it to sell at the $125 mark.

Great pictures and a good ad matter too, as well as proximity to buyers. A lot of buyers won't drive 10 miles. To overcome that hurdle, I offer to meet at a convenient location in my ad ("can meet at the university union, or whatever).
both fb and cl. crazy thing is I sold a huffy woman's bike cruiser for more than that and only saved the buyer around $50 over what they could buy it new at walmart for. I had several responses to that ad and both listed at the same time and same places.
Old 09-13-22, 07:51 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101

I checked your ad. It could use better pictures, neutral background not in direct sun, all pictures outdoors. Since you are on C/L, up to 12 pictures are free, I'd use them all.

If someone in the family works in town, offer to meet there in a central location.

I did a quick look at the competition, there are some good bikes at low prices in Missoula right now. Great pictures could differentiate yours!
Bright sunshine, and dark shade pics are lousy. And pics of the components, close up of the frame.........
Old 09-13-22, 08:30 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
It's worth $150 all day long, the problem is Missoula isn't much of a biking market...at least relative to others. I'm in the Milwaukee area..your bike would sell fast in this region. At $110..that's a good deal for someone. A college kid would probably trash it over time. I hope it finds a good home. Rather than give it away at a really low price, you might hold on to it until spring. It should sell then I'd think.
Old 09-23-22, 05:11 PM
jadmt

I ended up selling it for $110. Someone got a great bike for their money and they said there was going to be a really happy 11 year old.
Old 09-23-22, 05:37 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Go figure. I've been looking for a small vintage MTB/hybrid locally for a while without much luck in the $100 -$150price range. I am seeing a lot of larger quality MTBs in that price range. The market has I think slowed down from its pandemic high.
Old 09-28-22, 03:28 AM
Nirosha

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts