Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

FSA sleeve for BB90??

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

FSA sleeve for BB90??

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-20, 01:42 AM
mattpaints

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FSA sleeve for BB90??

Hi

I had a knackered BB30 shell on my 'cross bike that I saved by sticking in an FSA sleeve to create a threaded BB. Is there the equivalent for a BB90 shell? A friend's Trek Boone has very loose bearings and I'm looking around at more stable options to avoid the use of heavy duty loctite if possible.

Thanks
Matt
Old 10-23-20, 10:05 AM
trailflow1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 17 Posts
No. It wouldn't work because a bb30 shell is 68mm wide.

a BB90 shell is 90.5mm wide. That width doesn't leave any more room for external cups. Shimano crank spindles are not long enough.
Old 10-23-20, 12:37 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts

https://www.hambini.com/technical-support/trek-bb90-bearing-kit-installation/

This is the only way I have seen to solve the problem. I don't think Trek uses this "standard" anymore because of the bearing problems.

Last edited by davidad; 10-24-20 at 10:53 AM. Reason: idiot
Old 10-24-20, 12:44 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
I'm a professional mechanic who used to work at a Trek shop, and while I have my own feelings about BB90 mechanically, Trek will generally consider a shell that is so far out of tolerance that the slightly oversized bearings they sell are a loose fit or otherwise perform very poorly to be a frame warranty issue. It kinda sucks because the bike needs to be stripped down to the frameset (and later rebuilt), but a Trek shop should be able to warranty it. Trek in most cases will actually bore out the BB shell slightly and lay up new material before machining it back to spec, but in some cases they'll just replace the frame.

You definitely cannot adapt BB90 to be pretty much anything but BB90.