Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Need opinions on this bike, and help choosing new equipment!

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-12, 02:42 AM
trekfxrider

Bikes: 2011 Trek 7.5 fX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I want to say this is really my first time posting outside of the introductions section.
Also, I'm relatively new to the biking world, in terms of working on/upgrading etc.

I probably got screwed over on a purchase.
I paid $200 for this bike, which was pieced together and may have been a stupid purchase on my behalf, although I'm not afraid to admit it.

It has a model number of TBI-0406. Which appears to be a trek 2000. Not sure on the year. But I know the absolute latest it could be is 2003.
It appears to be a road bike frame from just looking around.

Now the question is, if it's okay to continue to use this as MTB frame, or am I asking to hurt myself? If it's safe, then I'm looking to get some new equipment.
It's got a worn out Shimano Acera RD, a worn Shimano 7-Speed V-brake shifter/cables, as well as a worn rear cassette. It's got a North Shore DH crankset, and whats supposed to be a marzocchi front fork. Only number I could find on it was. "T03D0912" That's got about 140mm of travel.
It's a 1x7 and not determined to keep it that way seeing as I'm dropping my chain left and right.
Right now shifting is super clunky, the chain seems to be loose which might just be because of the old RD. The chain guide seems to be putting the chain at a bad angle, which I think is gonna be a big cause as to why I keep dropping the chain. I'm not really sure though. Can anybody give me any insight as to what equipment I should look into getting for better performance and reliability?
It's got an almost brand new Geax Gato 26x2.3 on the front and a Geax Mezcal 26x2.1 on the rear which I've loved so far.
Sorry for the novel! But help is greatly appreciated!

If I'm riding on a deathtrap I would love to know so I can stop. If you guys think it's safe then I'd love to know that even more!

I should also add that this will be primarily used for single track riding! If that makes any difference on what equipment you would recommend.
Do you think I should stray away from the 1x7 setup and run something different, or stick with it and get a new cassette and RD etc.
Old 07-30-12, 02:02 PM
trekfxrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The biggest piece of information that I'm really looking to get from this is whether or not my frame is okay to use. Cause I don't want to waste my time. Anybody got any input?
Old 07-30-12, 03:15 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
I think that you have a solid $200. bike. I am using a Geax on the back right now. Seems to be good tires. The chain drop problem might be a simple fix. If you aren't comfortable adjusting the range limiter take it to a bike shop or find someone who can show you what to do. It is pretty basic. A 1X7 setup is probably pretty dated. But if the fork if working and you are enjoying yourself, get some fun out of it.

If there are any cracks in the welds, sad day! If the frame is straight and solid, kick out some berms.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 07-30-12, 10:36 PM
trekfxrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have looked it over pretty thoroughly, haven't found a single crack.
I gave adjusting the RD a go to no avail, and already brought it up to the LBS. They said because it's so worn out they couldn't get it set up exactly right. So shifting is still a little on the clunky side.
The fork is working wonderfully, would like to mess with the pressure a little to get it set up a tiny bit softer. But other than that, it's great!
I've already been out and rode on it two times, other than dropping the chain, and the clunky shifting, I'm not having any other problems.