Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Discouraged Beginner - Any tips?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Discouraged Beginner - Any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-16, 07:16 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
So famous that you can't even remember his name? Yeah, good one.
Which - is not the only way to get fast.
I don't think those 90's famous cyclists are at the current level of the current cyclists (maybe because they just road - and took drugs).
But I agree with @Paul Barnard - cycling chat in the -41 is an activity/hobby. I don't think numbers should matter (in the -41).

But...if they really do matter, maybe look into a coach, diet, strength training, Hypoxia tents, supplements and the works.
Old 04-20-16, 07:18 PM
exime

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
numbers are fun but getting mad about it on your first year after not working out for 15 years is very strange. sounds like obsessive/OCD personality.
Old 04-20-16, 08:37 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
My brief cycling history... For the 2 cents it's worth.

I started cycling almost two years ago, at 49, and as a 5'6" 226 lbs Clyde. Two miles at 12-13 mph was difficult, and I was winded. It took me a month of riding three times a week to get to three miles without being concerned about having a heart attack or stroke on the bike. With nothing more than Cyclemeter, I eventually did 27 miles at the 2014 Tour de Cure after six months. It was my first group ride, and I was told I was a solid B rider. I think they were being generous with that comment.

I set set goals the last two New Years. Last year I did a half century on my half century birthday. Two weeks ago, I did my first century. I've concentrated on distance riding until now. Just this year, I started riding with a group. Now that I got the century under my belt, I'm now working on speed and climbing.

Next year I want to do the Ride Across Florida in two days, and in 2018 in one day (170 miles).
I have much more weight to lose, but it's coming off slowly. Most importantly, I think I've enjoyed every ride I've been on-- even the never ending headwind rides. I hope this helped.
Old 04-20-16, 09:02 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Thanks Bassmanbob. The thing that you have shown is that people use metrics to measure their improvements. Those metrics don't necessarily have to be power meters, and Garmins linked to Strava. But nevertheless, you tracked your improvements from when you started to where you are now (congrats on the century by the way), and you've also illustrated the use of goals or targets.

For people to post that the OP just needs to ride lacks direction in its own right, and is just plain at odds with how the OP has expressed his interest in data.
Old 04-20-16, 10:11 PM
CafeVelo

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac, Nashbar CX, Trek 2200 trainer bike, Salsa Casseroll commuter, old school FS MTB

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wheever
OP, Dude, lemme tell you my story:

When I decided to start cycling, I was 53, and a smoker. Not overweight, but that was thanks to having a chronic illness for 9 years at that point. My upper body was in great shape, but my legs, lungs and heart were pretty sad. The first time I rode my new bike--home from the LBS--which was two miles, I had to lie down afterward I was so tired. but I just kept cycling. A month later I did 9 miles...and had to lie down again, and was sore for three days. This went on for the summer, slowly building up miles. I bought the gear to keep riding thought the Northeast winter. And was psyched that to me, now, I thought nothing of 10 miles...but 20 miles was still daunting. Following spring, 2015, I fell in love with, and bought, a Domane 4.5 disc. Riding it was such a joy that 20 miles felt like nothing, and I started doubling my miles, until I was close to 200 per week. (It's about time. If I had the damned time I'd be doing nothing but riding!) I did my first half century in August, and went to a cocktail party and made dinner for 6 afterward. I wasn't sore! I wasn't tired! As a matter of fact, I felt like a million bucks! And suddenly 50 miles felt like nothing, and how far I rode was ONLY about how much time I had.

So it took a little more than a year for an out of shape middle-aged man with a chronic illness, and a (now an ex) smoker to start putting on real miles. JUST GIVE YOURSELF TIME. As everyone says above, you have to build up over time, riding longer distances. (and taking breaks between long rides to give your body time to recover.) In a year? You'll be tearing down the road like a madman, I GUARANTEE IT, and ready for a real training program so as to reach your full potential!

Patience, grasshopper! Just go ride and have fun, and all else will come!
Guys like you (and the dude in his 80s riding hills in December) are my heroes.
Old 04-21-16, 03:08 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Eekthecat
3) I get it: I will keep at it, I will ride more, and I will ride more outside. It's tough to get the time to do so on weekdays, but I'll work to get out at least once on the weekends, while spending at least 45-60min per weekday on the indoor trainer. I just don't have the attention span to hit the trainer without Zwift and Netflix, at least not right now.
If you have 45-60 minutes to ride a trainer, you have 45-60 minutes to ride outside. If it's dark, get lights, but the days are getting long now, so take advantage.

Lack the focus to hit the trainer without some video distraction? That's exactly why you should ride outside - you have to pay attention - attention to where you're going. And isn't that the whole point, figuratively as well as literally?
Old 04-21-16, 05:32 AM
bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Eekthecat
Let me preface this by saying that I have not done any real exercise for 15yrs... I'm 5'7" and currently ~165lbs. About 3 weeks ago, I picked up a bike (used craigslist Cannondale Supersix Evo 105 - fit checks out okay) and an indoor trainer (Tacx Neo - wife required "silence" as a feature). I subscribed to Strava and Zwift, and set out to give this whole thing a try -- mostly to get in better shape so I don't drop dead from a heart attack, but also because it's a lot of fun.

In the limited time I have for these indoor rides, I have no trouble puttering along at 12-15mph for 20 miles or so, but I recently did a 20min FTP test and the result was... 98W. I my limited time here on BF, I haven't seen a figure so low. That, combined with a short ride (12mi) I did with a friend (who rides about about 1-2 times a week max, for a year) where he rather effortlessly left me in the dust, has me discouraged and a bit concerned about whether I'm doing something wrong? I'm starting Zwift's 10-12w FTP builder training program, so is it a matter of time/effort?
I believe the bicycle is getting in the way of your real objective. Retire the bike and buy more software so you can address your obvious desire to crunch numbers.
Old 04-21-16, 05:45 AM
silversx80

Bikes: Lynskey R240, 2013 CAAD10

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love this anti-trainer sentiment. It doesn't even occur to those individuals that the trainer offers an element of control for whatever reason. Maybe the OP is a caregiver and cannot leave the house during those times (children napping, and elderly parent, etc.), or maybe he's uncomfortable riding in the dark (I know I am). It also offers a training environment where variables can be controlled.

The whole point is to enjoy your bike, however you choose.
Old 04-21-16, 09:02 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by silversx80
I love this anti-trainer sentiment. It doesn't even occur to those individuals that the trainer offers an element of control for whatever reason. Maybe the OP is a caregiver and cannot leave the house during those times (children napping, and elderly parent, etc.), or maybe he's uncomfortable riding in the dark (I know I am). It also offers a training environment where variables can be controlled.

The whole point is to enjoy your bike, however you choose.
Totally agree. There is no shame in using a trainer in good weather or on nice days. Whatever gets one turning the pedals!
Old 04-21-16, 10:48 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by silversx80
I love this anti-trainer sentiment.
I use a spin class for training ... so I am not against indoor riding.

However, as the OP himself notes, there is a world of difference between riding on the road and riding indoors on a trainer. In fact, judging by what he actually posted, (as opposed to the stuck-home-nursing scenario) the OP was disappointed when he could do 20 miles at 12-13 mph on a trainer but couldn't come close on the road.

I'd say that riding outside is generally a lot more enjoyable (based entirely on personal preferences) and it takes a lot more effort---everything from wind resistance to inclines (however slight) to the constant motion and adjustment the rider has to make---which we all do pretty much unconsciously) which all adds up to a lot more going on.

That said, if the guiy wants to spend the rest of his life in his garage, that's his choice. Whatever works best for him. Thing is, if he ever does open that garage door, he is going to be disappointed once again when he finds out once again that speed on a trainer has about nothing to do with riding on the road.
Old 04-21-16, 12:06 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I'd say that riding outside is generally a lot more enjoyable (based entirely on personal preferences) and it takes a lot more effort---everything from wind resistance to inclines (however slight) to the constant motion and adjustment the rider has to make---which we all do pretty much unconsciously) which all adds up to a lot more going on.
I haven't used a trainer for years, but they do have their advantages. You don't have to hold anything back, you can totally control how you structure your workout, you don't have to carry junk, virtually nonexistent mechanicals are easy to deal with, riding conditions are always comfortable, etc.
Old 04-21-16, 12:08 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Zwift thinks I am way faster than I really am, even if I use a power meter. Average speeds are always much faster than what I actually get outdoors.

Which is to say, if looking at average speeds outdoors is not that useful, it is not useful at all indoors.
Old 04-21-16, 12:19 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
OT, but if someone always rides a trainer, never on the road, would you still call him/her a cyclist?
Old 04-21-16, 12:19 PM
therhodeo

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
riding conditions are always comfortable, etc.
Uninsulated garage here. Winter is freezing and summer is suffocating. Right around a 90 degree temp swing for my "indoor" riding during the year.
Old 04-21-16, 12:26 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Originally Posted by therhodeo
Uninsulated garage here. Winter is freezing and summer is suffocating. Right around a 90 degree temp swing for my "indoor" riding during the year.
Sure, but the swing still isn't as big as in real life. For example, there is no wind or precipitation in your garage during the winter and the sun doesn't beat down on you in the summer.

Even if it's below freezing in the garage, you probably won't want a windbreaker and you can get away with light gloves -- if you even wear them. In the summer, you don't get baked from direct solar radiation and heat reflected from the pavement. Plus, water can be kept cooler.
Old 04-21-16, 01:35 PM
therhodeo

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
Sure, but the swing still isn't as big as in real life. For example, there is no wind or precipitation in your garage during the winter and the sun doesn't beat down on you in the summer.

Even if it's below freezing in the garage, you probably won't want a windbreaker and you can get away with light gloves -- if you even wear them. In the summer, you don't get baked from direct solar radiation and heat reflected from the pavement. Plus, water can be kept cooler.
Mentally neither the heat or cold is as bad outside at all. I ride alot inside and love having the trainer but its a huge mental battle that riding outside isn't. Of course outside I don't have the Specials or something blaring away.
Old 04-21-16, 01:54 PM
GreenAnvil

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 LE

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts
OP needs to ride outside so he can experience the excitement of drope-ing the hamer and dialing it up to 400W after wannabe poser passes by him and gives him "the look". Also, outside is the only way he can show off the massive guads he will get after all that hard training. And yes you can wave in your garage but no one will see you...
Old 04-21-16, 02:50 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Originally Posted by GreenAnvil
OP needs to ride outside so he can experience the excitement of drope-ing the hamer and dialing it up to 400W after wannabe poser passes by him and gives him "the look". Also, outside is the only way he can show off the massive guads he will get after all that hard training. And yes you can wave in your garage but no one will see you...
That's what training videos are for. You can call out to the other people in the video or even wave at them. And I don't care how good they are -- they'll never be able to pull far away from you...
Old 04-26-16, 10:20 AM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Inpd
@baj32161

Brian, you have to fill us in on that.

How did you find out it was your friend?
What did he say?

Do you still exchange Christmas cards?

The thread with the explanation is here...too long to type again....sorry.

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...tml?highlight=

― Bruce Lee
Old 04-26-16, 10:45 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Cycling is a metaphor for life basically . . .
I like it.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 04-26-16, 11:06 AM
Xherion

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
Zwift thinks I am way faster than I really am, even if I use a power meter. Average speeds are always much faster than what I actually get outdoors.

Which is to say, if looking at average speeds outdoors is not that useful, it is not useful at all indoors.
Yep. Speed is meaningless on a trainer. Other metrics like power if you have it mean a whole more. Hell, just yesterday, I was doing a soft recovery ride at 100w on Zwift and averaged 16mph. Sure, if you compare that game to real world speeds, you're in for a disappointment. 100w on the road would only net me probably 12 mph on a flat road.

But even speed outside is marginally useful at best. Some of my best speed averages outdoors have been 20-30% less watts than other days on the same route, just simply due to wind, traffic, etc.
Old 04-26-16, 03:31 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
OT, but if someone always rides a trainer, never on the road, would you still call him/her a cyclist?
call them a trainerist.