Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

For Cleat’s Sake! - an update

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

For Cleat’s Sake! - an update

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-22, 07:52 PM
Cramic

Bikes: Giant TCR Pro Disk 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
IMO, that is the answer. I get off the bike a lot more than I used to. One of the reasons I now use mostly spd.
Yep, once I wear through the few pairs I have (probably in about 12 weeks &#128521 I’ll look into trying a new system.
Old 05-02-22, 07:58 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Ten steps on a lava bed?

Not buying this anymore. Time to bounce.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-02-22, 09:00 PM
Cramic

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Ten steps on a lava bed?

Not buying this anymore. Time to bounce.
If I was simply walking more than I’m saying I would either just stop walking in them, buy cleat covers, or accept I’m going to go through 3-4 pairs of cleats per year. I certainly wouldn’t post about it.

In the original thread I admitted to wearing them from the bike locker to changing rooms at work, which was by far my main source of walking in them. I was also less fastidious about taking them off first when I got home and perhaps walking from the garage to the front door in them.

The bike is kept essentially next to my rear laneway. I maybe step once or twice taking it out in my shoes, and not at all when I get back as I take them off the moment I’m out of the saddle.

If I’m just going out for a ride I rarely/if ever stop and end up right back at my garage with my only footfall being at a handful of traffic lights.

Commuting to work and it’s the same story leaving/returning to home, but there’s also the distance between the plastic door and chair, that I posted above. 4-5 steps either way.

So a simple return cycle “costs” about two steps, commute say 15 in total.

That’s the whole point of posting, originally and, especially, now. I was surprised at the wear I was incurring when I was walking much more in them, but more so now I do virtually no walking in them.

The fact the wear has remained the same, despite a massive reduction in how much I walk in them, suggests it’s not the walking at all.
Old 05-03-22, 05:12 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
I have no idea what you're doing. All I can say is that I have cleats that I've had on my shoes (Look deltas on one pair, Look keos on another pair) for multiple years, and they don't look anywhere near that bad.

In fact, I've never seen cleats that look that bad. I've always changed mine well before they've gotten to that point.
Likes For noimagination:
Old 05-03-22, 05:59 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts

This is after 3 seasons which include riding rollers and Wahoo during winter.

I may have figured out what is going on here. When I walk with the above shoes on, I walk flat footed. I do not walk as if I am in standard shoes. The cleats only make flat contact with the ground. This may help explain how I can get such long life from a set of cleats. When I rode Look pedals I got 6-7 years out of a set of cleats. Since the Shimano pedals are relatively new to me and I am going into season 4 with them it is likely I will see the same service life from the Shimano cleats as I did with the Look cleats.
Old 05-03-22, 06:07 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 264 Posts
They are not meant to be walked on for any appreciable distance.
It is likely the OP is a heavy walker as well...perhaps sliding his feet instead of lifting his feet while walking...just a guess.
I know a few people who wear out the soles of shoes in months. I have shoes that are decades old and show little sole wear.
It also depends on how people walk. Many today seem to drag or slide their feet instead of lifting them. They also have a much heavier tread which wears the bottoms more quickly.
Might be something worth looking into, especially if he wears out shoes, etc. quickly, though he may not realize it. Also uneven wear on the soles may be a sign of a foot problem...pronation/supination, etc.
Old 05-03-22, 06:37 AM
A350driver

Bikes: Emonda, Speed Concept, A1985 Bianchi and a Stache, Madone all Trek except the Bianchi.

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 74 Posts
When I have to get off the bike and walk any more than a couple steps I try to just walk on my heels, holding my toes up, just so I don’t get a bunch of dirt or sand in the cleats. Yeah it looks funny and you’ll slide if you’re on a slick tile floor like inside a 7-11 getting ice and a drink, but I purposely try to keep the cleat up off the ground. Going down stairs like that can be *****!

Last edited by A350driver; 05-05-22 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-03-22, 09:13 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
I bought some supposedly real Shimano cleats on some Chinese site based on some info I read here. 4 pairs for $20 (+ free shipping) or something like that. They wore out really fast. I went through 2 sets in less than a year. I got some real cleats to compare and those have been in use about a year and a half with minimal wear so I'm convinced the cheap ones were knock-offs even though the packaging was pretty convincing.
Old 05-04-22, 05:47 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Lot of hoopla. I already said it's because of the stairs. It's not about distance, it's about the actual use case. Doesn't matter if you use look, time, or shimano. If you walk down stairs in cleats, you will ruin them. Get covers, or take off your shoes for the stairs. I guarantee that the wear will subside.
Old 05-04-22, 06:19 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
I agree with cxwrench. He hit the nail on the head. SPD-SL cleats usually last significantly longer than your example.
Get cleat covers to compensate for your excessive walking on them. No brainer.............
Old 05-04-22, 06:35 PM
Cramic

Originally Posted by smashndash
Lot of hoopla. I already said it's because of the stairs. It's not about distance, it's about the actual use case. Doesn't matter if you use look, time, or shimano. If you walk down stairs in cleats, you will ruin them. Get covers, or take off your shoes for the stairs. I guarantee that the wear will subside.
And I’ve said that I no longer walk down stairs in them. I haven’t taken a single step down a stair in these cleats.

The stairs were from the original post/my first set of cleats.

That’s what, I think, makes it interesting. I’ve cut out more than 90% of the walking I was doing in them, including stairs, and the wear is almost the same.
Old 05-04-22, 06:37 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Cramic
And I’ve said that I no longer walk down stairs in them. I haven’t taken a single step down a stair in these cleats.

The stairs were from the original post/my first set of cleats.

That’s what, I think, makes it interesting. I’ve cut out more than 90% of the walking I was doing in them, including stairs, and the wear is almost the same.
oh what. yeah ok, I got nothing then, my bad. Let us know if you figure it out.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 05-04-22, 06:37 PM
Cramic

Originally Posted by frogman
I agree with cxwrench. He hit the nail on the head. SPD-SL cleats usually last significantly longer than your example.
Get cleat covers to compensate for your excessive walking on them. No brainer.............
I take 2-5 steps in my cleats on leisure rides, 10-15 in a day when I’m commuting. If that sounds like excessive walking to you then I’m guessing you must levitate.
Old 05-04-22, 06:42 PM
Cramic

Originally Posted by smashndash
oh what. yeah ok, I got nothing then, my bad. Let us know if you figure it out.
I’m wondering if:

1) First set of cleats, from Giant store (so highly likely to be genuine), was simply a matter of too much walking and stairs, as you suggest. I didn’t know better.
2) The second set I actually got from a friend, and were in Shimano packaging, but I don’t know their source. So perhaps fake?

My third set, currently in use and early days, have already shown far less wear than the other two. These are genuine Shimanos (reputable store, authentic packaging).

Time will tell!
Likes For Cramic:
Old 05-04-22, 09:28 PM
Cramic

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Because it doesn't take much to see what's happening in your case. There is ONLY one answer. If you're wearing the yellow pads off the cleats it's because you're walking too much/dragging your feet. What else would cause this? Little aliens that sneak into your house at night and chew on your cleats? At least at this point (after seeing a few of the last posts) you've come to terms w/ what everyone else is posting and know that you are the cause of the wear.
https://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-Shima...r&pageNumber=2

Here you go mate. Perhaps there’s an alien invasion?

Or perhaps you should be a little more humble in future and realise just because you haven’t seen something before doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. Such a myopic view of the world you have.
Likes For Cramic:
Old 05-04-22, 09:39 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
If your cleats are fakes then I'm still right. Genuine Shimano cleats don't wear like that.
Old 05-04-22, 10:13 PM
Cramic

Originally Posted by cxwrench
If your cleats are fakes then I'm still right. Genuine Shimano cleats don't wear like that.
Ah, a guy who can’t admit he’s wrong. As I say, some humbleness wouldn’t go amiss.

I suppose you’d simply divine the Giant store had sold you knock offs and then levitated when you realised a handful of steps were causing excessive wear? Or explained to yourself how you’re actually walking far more in them than you say.

I would though have thought an Einstein like you would realise that the same wear, despite 90% reduction in walking, might imply it’s not the walking. Oh that’s right, I was lying.

I’m guessing not every complaint on Amazon is a fake pair and perhaps Shimano sometimes release a bad batch. Who knows.

Sorry, you do of course.
Old 05-05-22, 11:51 AM
frogman

The constructive responses you have received from BF members on your thread have been met with a sarcastic jab response. It is obvious you don't want our help. The sarcasm is unwarranted and is against forum policy. I have asked to have this thread closed.
Old 05-05-22, 12:09 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Ok folks.....No need for anyone to get snippy or rude.
We're just discussing cleats.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 05-05-22, 04:48 PM
Cramic

The constructive responses you have received from BF members on your thread have been met with a sarcastic jab response. It is obvious you don't want our help. The sarcasm is unwarranted and is against forum policy. I have asked to have this thread closed.
If that’s true it’s to one member in particular, who has accused me of lying and on more than just this thread. Did you miss the part where he accused me of thinking aliens were tampering with my cleats? Sorry, that will probably be construed as sarcasm.

I think you’ll find the majority of my responses have been grateful and reflective. Did you even read the thread? Care to give some examples to support your position if so?
Old 05-05-22, 04:56 PM
Cramic

Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Ok folks.....No need for anyone to get snippy or rude.
We're just discussing cleats.
Fair enough.

I think the problem may have been solved anyway. First set wore out due to newbie behaviour/walking too much on them (inc. stairs) and second were perhaps not genuine (although the mate I got them from reckons they came from the Trek shop). Maybe a bad batch found their way into the Perth market?

Anyway, Amazon reviews show it’s a problem that effects many people from time to time and my latest set cleats are already wearing much better.

Time will tell!
Old 05-05-22, 06:16 PM
frogman

Originally Posted by Cramic
If that’s true it’s to one member in particular, who has accused me of lying and on more than just this thread. Did you miss the part where he accused me of thinking aliens were tampering with my cleats? Sorry, that will probably be construed as sarcasm.

I think you’ll find the majority of my responses have been grateful and reflective. Did you even read the thread? Care to give some examples to support your position if so?

Some of your snarky, rude remarks.

"I would though have thought an Einstein like you would realise"
"If that sounds like excessive walking to you then I’m guessing you must levitate."
Totally uneccessary responses.
Its good you didn't give the moderator a snarky response.

Read the guidelines he gave and carry on.......................
Old 05-05-22, 07:16 PM
Cramic

Some of your snarky, rude remarks.

"I would though have thought an Einstein like you would realise"
"If that sounds like excessive walking to you then I’m guessing you must levitate."
Totally uneccessary responses.
Its good you didn't give the moderator a snarky response.

Read the guidelines he gave and carry on.......................
Oh so to cxwrench, who has accused me of lying across more than one thread and brought up aliens, and you supporting cxwrench? Funny you don’t mention cxwrench’s sarcastic comments, isn’t it?

What about my replies to everybody else?

You get responded to in kind.