Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why is so much clothing dark colored.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why is so much clothing dark colored.

Old 06-01-22, 09:56 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2565 Post(s)
Liked 5,595 Times in 2,903 Posts
Originally Posted by RockyConlin
I love dark clothes.
Because?

Because in low light and shadows it makes you virtually invisible to vehicles?
Because on really hot days you want to attract as much solar radiation as possible so you can bake?
Because you must be “on trend” with fashion as dictated by marketing companies so they can sell more product?
Because you like to live life dangerously?
Because dark is associated with being evil and “bad @$$”?
Because you must conform to your peers or face their ridicule?
Because you never considered any of the above?
OR
Because it looks cool?
OR
Just because?

Would really like to know your rationale.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 06-01-22, 10:32 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
But how would I know when it was time to wash them?
Once every 5-6 rides like the rest of our shorts.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 06-01-22, 11:48 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,283 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by RockyConlin
I love dark clothes.
Originally Posted by rsbob
Would really like to know your rationale.
Does one need a rationale for a color preference?
Old 06-01-22, 12:14 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I think a lot of people start out in light clothes, but they get seduced by the dark side.
Old 06-01-22, 12:48 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttom
It is true, my last ride of 64 miles I saw numerous people wearing the "bike gear" jerseys pants all dark colored. Why do you need a $100 jersey to ride a bike? I saw a guy riding in 90 degrees with a long sleeve jersey, really?? I wear a $10 high viz construction tee and am totally comfortable, guarantee you I am way more visible than the blue jersey guys. Bike shorts under my cargo shorts yes, fingerless gloves yes, helmet for sure anything else is vanity unless you are a racer.
This says it all. Reverse snobicity.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 06-01-22, 12:55 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Ttom
I saw a guy riding in 90 degrees with a long sleeve jersey, really??

Bike shorts under my cargo shorts ...
In 90 degree weather? Really???
Old 06-01-22, 01:20 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Sometimes you are feeling fine then, out of nowhere, "it" happens. I could tell you some stories about having to pull over and use the woods during tours.
Then there's the old "wiping peanut butter out of shag carpet" analogy.
Old 06-01-22, 01:54 PM
kuroba

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I for one welcome the -new to me- trend of colored shorts/bibs. Besides the classic navy variation I've seen maroon, grey, green, purple, etc. I have a pair of teal bib shorts on the way that I look forward to using on the bike and hopefully get the Specialized maroon one soon too. For jerseys, the brighter and more obnoxious, the better, though I'm not particularly fan of hi-viz yellow.
Old 06-01-22, 06:09 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Then there's the old "wiping peanut butter out of shag carpet" analogy.
I carry the proper equipment for al fresco bathroom stops when touring.
Old 06-01-22, 06:40 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I carry the proper equipment for al fresco bathroom stops when touring.
You carry a Super Soaker?
Old 06-02-22, 12:57 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
I prefer brighter colours for visibility. My training kit is all Castelli and Santini - so orange jersey's for Winter mainly. My Summer kit is orange, purple, pink (Giro d'Italia kit), red and white mainly. Only jerseys, my bib's are all black with a colour trim at the end - red, white, orange etc.

Helmet's one orange and 2x white. Shoe's 1x white and 2x yellow. Rain jacket is a bright yellow but never needed it; I typically don't ride in the rain.

Racing kit is team stuff and that is all multi-colour with sponsor logo's all over.

Basically, my kit is colourful and bright. I still have a tail-light on my bikes though.

But even on a warm Summer's day, not a cloud in the sky, bright conditions, tail-light on, looking like a marsh-mallow in bright Giro d'italia pink jersey, black bib's with white trim, white helmet, white shoes, bright red Trek Madone SLR, a lady still managed to not see me and drive into me - thankfully I saw it coming and managed to swerve so avoiding a big accident.

Old 06-02-22, 07:51 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Personally I'd rather wear a dark, stealthy, muted jersey and ride with a couple flashing lights.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 06-02-22, 09:11 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
Personally I'd rather wear a dark, stealthy, muted jersey and ride with a couple flashing lights.
Exactly. In low light, no colors show up well.
Old 06-02-22, 06:26 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Though some do show up better in car headlights. This shouldn't be a debatable topic really.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 06-02-22, 06:29 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
This shouldn't be a debatable topic really.
Because you're right and anyone that disagrees is wrong?

Incorrect.
Old 06-02-22, 06:36 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Because you're right and anyone that disagrees is wrong?

Incorrect.
It's just science. Car headlights will not reflect as much off of dark clothing as light clothing. Please provide contradictory evidence to this statement.
Old 06-02-22, 06:46 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
It's just science. Car headlights will not reflect as much off of dark clothing as light clothing. Please provide contradictory evidence to this statement.
What matters is whether it's a significant difference. With a flashing light running, which was the context of the comment, that's pretty debatable.

Also, IIRC, studies have shown that bright elements in motion are far more effective than those that are relatively static. IOW, bright jerseys aren't terribly effective but bright socks are.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-02-22, 07:26 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
I can't speak to why there's a lot of folks wearing black or dark clothes but there is a science behind black garments. They actually keep you cooler than white or bright colors. The beduins of the Sahara wear multiple layers of black because black absorbs heat. Now I hear the questions: yes so why would you wear black???

Well, they wear black next to the skin and black absorbs heat from the body too. Will this make a difference if you're only wearing one black layer? Probably not, but after living in Arizona for a few years a lot of people out there wear black shirts in the dead of summer. Now I know why, the amount of heat black absorbs from the sun when it's 115 degrees isn't that much different than a lighter colored shirt but it also absorbs the heat from your skin. Weird as it may seem, I felt actually cooler wearing a black polo than a white one. That's where the humidity is in the single digits in the summer though.

I now live back in North Carolina and that same black polo shirt in 95% humidity feels like a wetsuit! Single layer light colored shirts for me here.
Old 06-02-22, 07:57 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2565 Post(s)
Liked 5,595 Times in 2,903 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
I can't speak to why there's a lot of folks wearing black or dark clothes but there is a science behind black garments. They actually keep you cooler than white or bright colors. The beduins of the Sahara wear multiple layers of black because black absorbs heat. Now I hear the questions: yes so why would you wear black???

Well, they wear black next to the skin and black absorbs heat from the body too. Will this make a difference if you're only wearing one black layer? Probably not, but after living in Arizona for a few years a lot of people out there wear black shirts in the dead of summer. Now I know why, the amount of heat black absorbs from the sun when it's 115 degrees isn't that much different than a lighter colored shirt but it also absorbs the heat from your skin. Weird as it may seem, I felt actually cooler wearing a black polo than a white one. That's where the humidity

I now live back in North Carolina and that same black polo shirt in 95% humidity feels like a wetsuit! Single layer light colored shirts for me here.

OK, I was skeptical about black being cooler than say white, so I used THE Google and learned this from the NPR site, “"Unfortunately sunscreen sometimes affects sweating," Havenith said. "So the sunscreen then might reduce the amount of sweat evaporation or the amount of sweat production. So that's where things again could go wrong."

So if you're exercising in the heat, wear as little as possible, especially after the sun goes down.

But if you're not an Olympic track star, skimpy Spandex is not the way to go. Think light and loose. That's because even if you don't feel like you're sweating, you still want to evaporate moisture off your skin. The loose clothing allows air to pass long the skin and exit, speeding evaporation and carrying off excess heat.

Enlarge this imageBedouins stay cool because their robes are so thick.

iStockphoto.comAnother big question in the summer clothing world is color: dark or light?

Researchers have studied the heavy black robes worn by Bedouins in the desert. They say the key there is thickness. The outer layer of fabric does get hotter because the black color absorbs more heat. And that heat doesn't get transmitted to the skin because of the thick fabric.

But thin black clothing transmits that heat to the skin, making a person hotter.”

Last edited by rsbob; 06-02-22 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-02-22, 08:14 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
Man after all these years being wrong. Lots of variables but science does bear you out.
My story too! When I moved to Arizona I saw these crazy people wearing black in the 115 degree heat and thought they were absolutely nuts. That was until I talked to a long-time Arizonan who clued me in to why they wear black.

I too did the research and, dang, the guy was right. Now, that said, I don't see the same cooling effect here in North Carolina when we have those 95 degree days with 95%+ humidity. It's hot and sticky and sweaty no matter what we wear but light colored shirts do seem to keep me cooler when it's really hot and really humid. For 85 degrees or less, I wear my black Nike or Underarmor polos.
Old 06-02-22, 09:49 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
In 90 degree weather? Really???
Yep! See my post at #171
Old 06-02-22, 09:52 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
Yep! See my post at #171
You wear two pairs of shorts in warm weather, but you can't understand someone else wearing long sleeves?
Old 06-02-22, 10:39 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
You wear two pairs of shorts in warm weather, but you can't understand someone else wearing long sleeves?
I don't know where you are getting this from. I never once stated I wear two pairs of shorts when riding and I understand why some people wear long sleeves when riding in 90+ degree heat. Here again is my post from #171.
"In Thailand, where I ride frequently, it's very common to see Thais riding in long sleeves, full fingered gloves, and also tights. Many also cover their faces. It's all to protect them from exposure to the sun as they don't want their skin to get brown. All this despite the temps being in the 90's with very high humidity."
Old 06-02-22, 11:24 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
I don't know where you are getting this from. I never once stated I wear two pairs of shorts when riding and I understand why some people wear long sleeves when riding in 90+ degree heat. Here again is my post from #171.
"In Thailand, where I ride frequently, it's very common to see Thais riding in long sleeves, full fingered gloves, and also tights. Many also cover their faces. It's all to protect them from exposure to the sun as they don't want their skin to get brown. All this despite the temps being in the 90's with very high humidity."
My mistake. I thought you were the person that we both had responded to ...
Old 06-03-22, 05:49 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by rsbob
OK, I was skeptical about black being cooler than say white, so I used THE Google and learned this from the NPR site, “"Unfortunately sunscreen sometimes affects sweating," Havenith said. "So the sunscreen then might reduce the amount of sweat evaporation or the amount of sweat production. So that's where things again could go wrong."

So if you're exercising in the heat, wear as little as possible, especially after the sun goes down.

But if you're not an Olympic track star, skimpy Spandex is not the way to go. Think light and loose. That's because even if you don't feel like you're sweating, you still want to evaporate moisture off your skin. The loose clothing allows air to pass long the skin and exit, speeding evaporation and carrying off excess heat.

Enlarge this imageBedouins stay cool because their robes are so thick.

iStockphoto.comAnother big question in the summer clothing world is color: dark or light?

Researchers have studied the heavy black robes worn by Bedouins in the desert. They say the key there is thickness. The outer layer of fabric does get hotter because the black color absorbs more heat. And that heat doesn't get transmitted to the skin because of the thick fabric.

But thin black clothing transmits that heat to the skin, making a person hotter.”
So one of these guys has it right, and the other is still catching on?

Likes For Sy Reene:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.