Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Best Carbon Assembly Paste/Compound for Carbon to aluminum

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-23-22, 03:38 PM
Plainsman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts

Hi! I’m trying to find a good assembly option for a carbon seat post in an aluminum frame that won’t scratch the carbon post. I have pretty immediate access to the following, but open to other options:

Finish Line Fiber Grip
Motorex Carbon Grease
Park Tool SAC-2
Muc Off Carbon Gripper

is one of these better than the others in terms of holding strength, protecting the carbon from bonding to aluminum, and not harming the carbon finish?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-23-22, 04:37 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
I think any CF paste will likely leave minor dulling at the least. Any of those above will have little to no difference in corrosion protection or scratching between them. Any scratching/dulling can usually be buffed out with most plastic/paint polishes though if you decide to raise your post at some point. You can always just use grease first and go to the paste if you have slipping.
Old 06-23-22, 04:46 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I make all of my controls "race tight", tight enough to stay put under normal stresses, but still able to move/rotate during a spill/crash, hopefully minimizing damage and injuries.
Old 06-23-22, 04:47 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 1,011 Posts
I used Finish Line Fiber Grip to install my matte finish CF seat post (Cannondale Save) a few years ago. A couple of weeks ago I decided to raise it by a quarter inch, and first removed it to wipe off as much of the residue as possible. The Finish Line Fiber Grip did not affect the finish of the seat post. But the seat tube is also CF and the hidden seat post clamp within it is either CF or plastic. No aluminum interface.

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 06-23-22 at 04:51 PM.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 06-24-22, 05:52 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4728 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
I think any CF paste will likely leave minor dulling at the least. Any of those above will have little to no difference in corrosion protection or scratching between them. Any scratching/dulling can usually be buffed out with most plastic/paint polishes though if you decide to raise your post at some point. You can always just use grease first and go to the paste if you have slipping.
+1 this
I use the SAC2 park stuff because that's what I happened to buy a few years ago. No avoiding marring to some extent -- I have a CF post in a Ti frame, but same idea. Also use this stuff on stem/handlebar clamp interface.

Suggest though you figure out your seatpost height before doing any CF paste. Then do a few wraps of eg. electrical tape or somesuch at that point on the seatpost. This will at least prevent going too far and then having to back in/out of the seat tube while you get it right (which in itself can and will cause marring).
Old 06-25-22, 02:52 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 352 Posts
Originally Posted by Plainsman
Hi! I’m trying to find a good assembly option for a carbon seat post in an aluminum frame that won’t scratch the carbon post. I have pretty immediate access to the following, but open to other options:

Finish Line Fiber Grip
Motorex Carbon Grease
Park Tool SAC-2
Muc Off Carbon Gripper

is one of these better than the others in terms of holding strength, protecting the carbon from bonding to aluminum, and not harming the carbon finish?
CF paste is basically grease with grit in it. You only need it if things slip with normal grease and proper torque. Don't overthink this.
Old 06-28-22, 12:31 AM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
FWIW, to address the OP's concern about dulling the finish of a CF seatpost. Dulling and superficial scratches can easily be removed and original shine restored with normal polishing products. I have a couple strengths of rubbing compound and normal car polish. Just rub out the scratches and polish. All can be done by hand in about 5 minutes.
Old 06-28-22, 04:40 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4728 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
FWIW, to address the OP's concern about dulling the finish of a CF seatpost. Dulling and superficial scratches can easily be removed and original shine restored with normal polishing products. I have a couple strengths of rubbing compound and normal car polish. Just rub out the scratches and polish. All can be done by hand in about 5 minutes.
How does that work? I thought CF's natural state is a very matte appearance. If the clear coat gloss finish is scratched (off) will a polish restore areas to gloss?
Old 06-28-22, 01:32 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
How does that work? I thought CF's natural state is a very matte appearance. If the clear coat gloss finish is scratched (off) will a polish restore areas to gloss?
Probably yes, if the clear coat is totally rubbed off. Usually, like a car, it's just dulled and/or often just superficially scratched, not removed. I guess all I can say with certainty is that I've shined up a few carbon fiber seat posts, at least the parts that show above the seat tube and sometimes the entire post. The result might not be "factory fresh" but easily passes the "3 foot" (1 meter) test - looks great from normal viewing distance.