Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Twenty to Life

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Raleigh Twenty to Life

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-12, 10:56 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Raleigh Twenty to Life

Life is funny. One day you're king of the world, riding to work on some beautiful overkill bike and the next, you're wondering if you're going to bike again. My Doctor told me no cycling for 6-9 months because of the risk of re-injury. Coming from a legal background, I negotiated; eventually he agreed that riding a lower stand over bike at lower speeds should mitigate much of the risk he was concerned about. I bought a Raleigh Twenty...thinking it would be better than nothing, but probably not much better. I've now ridden that bike and have some observations to share:

Stuff I really like:

1. The fenders are great...they stay put, they have ample coverage and they don't dent when leaned up against stuff.

2. I love the width of the wheels and the tire pressure...it rides very nicely on a variety of surfaces...much better than I'd have thought.

3. It's sportier and quicker than I expected, especially accelerating. I never thought the bike might be fun, but it is! It doesn't hold speed well.

4. I LOVE that rear plescher rack - so useful! I can toss a laptop under it. A lock. Groceries. Use a pannier. It's just a great rack and I'd love more like it. It's also positioned well...I have huge feet, but I can ride with a pannier and not get heel strike. Well... occasional, but not awful!

5. I can just leave it outside and not fret over things. It has thick paint.

6. The mattress saddle works amazingly well with the positioning, better than the Brooks leather I tossed on and tried.

7. Parts are standard, easy to maintain.

8. It looks cool!

9. Lots of room for added stuff...surprisingly versatile as a platform.

Stuff I like less:

1. The biggest weakness of the bike are the steel rims; wheel rotational weight stinks and braking is compromised. I don't understand why Raleigh bothers to put fenders on bikes that are useless in the rain. I initially didn't think I'd bother addressing the issue, but I've decided the bike has a useful future and it would be more useful with alloy rims.

2. I think my dislike of IGH is well known, and it has only increased with this bike. Changing flats is more difficult, the indicator chains are weak and I'm constantly dealing with cable stretch. I finally got the SA working and tensioned, but to get it there, it now doesn't shift as well at a full stop. It seems to be either/or - when it's shifting at a full stop, it's too lose to shift into low gear. It also doesn't shift as well while pedaling and the rythm of shifting while coasting is very odd. The spacing between gears is more limited, I prefer better gear ranges. I do not understand why folks use these.

3. The rear gearing is too high...I believe it's a 16 tooth. I think a 20 would be a LOT more sensible and I'll be changing mine out shortly. I'm assuming Raleigh expected people to walk up a lot of these hills.

4. Cornering is VERY compromised because the pedals are low to the ground. If I take a turn anything but soft and slow, the pedal grinds the pavement.

5. The positioning is very odd...it feels like the cranks are further forward than normal; I don't like it at all. The hand positions are very limited and I can't really get out of the saddle with these bars. I don't think drops would work because of the weird forward positioning.

6. I feel like I'm constantly slipping off of the pedals...part of that is that I'm not used to platforms, but part is the crank position and placement.

7. It weighs a TON! I wish they made one in 531! It's too heavy to really use as a transit-bike machine and it folds pretty big. As an actual portable folder, it's limited.
Old 10-10-12, 11:12 AM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
#1 Yeah, but steel is what Raleigh did. Try a rod-brake roadster in the rain sometime if you want to get scared.
#2 I'm not following. What do you mean by "It seems to be either/or - when it's shifting at a full stop, it's too lose to shift into low gear"?
Old 10-10-12, 11:16 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

If the cable and indicator chain are tight, it doesn't shift as well at a complete stop. If you loosen the cable a little bit, or move the bracket forwards, it will shift better while stopped, but then it shifts poorly into low gear.
Old 10-10-12, 11:30 AM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
If the cable and indicator chain are tight, it doesn't shift as well at a complete stop. If you loosen the cable a little bit, or move the bracket forwards, it will shift better while stopped, but then it shifts poorly into low gear.
Sometimes I rotate the pedals backwards to help a shift at a stop. For the cable, have you tried the "official" SA as well as Sheldon's way? Did you get a new cable and indicator?

Oh, and I agree; the bike is quite heavy for a folder, but it's much sturdier than many I've seen. They were popular in both folding and non-folding designs in England where storage space was often limited.
Old 10-10-12, 11:38 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

I have a new cable and indicator, I don't remember if it's SA or not.

I definitely like the bike, I'd just like it more as a low geared single speed or derailleur machine.
Old 10-10-12, 11:41 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
https://raleightwenty.webs.com/

You know of my affection for these bikes and with the recent acquisition of a Phillip's 20 (which I will be building up for my mother in law) we have five of them in our family and a Raleigh Saffron which is a 20 inch wheeled lady's bike.

Excluding my super modified P20, our other 20's are mostly stock although I have upgraded the rims on mine and my wife's pair, upgraded the brakes, and adjusted the gearing by swapping in larger rear cogs. On this, the 20 likes an even / odd combination to get the right chain tension as the dropout is short and even pairings of cogs and chain wheels can cause issues. Your stock cog is probably a 15 tooth which is there to give it the same gearing as a conventional Raleigh Sports 3 speed which is also geared too high for anything but flat riding.

One of the joys of owning a 20 is that you will get to know what pootling is all about... they were never intended to be raced but rather, ridden at a more moderate pace.

Once you figure out the setting of the hub you should be able to forget about it and as for handling... the bike is so stable that you can take corners at speed in a more upright position than you are used to.

On the other hand... this bike is a little racier even though it was built up to work as a touring bike and has no issues with rain or poor braking.

1973 Phillip's 20 (super modified)

My other 20... am thinking of putting on some studded Marathons for wintery riding as these bikes are extremely stable and the IGH id perfect for wet and cold weather.

Last edited by Sixty Fiver; 10-10-12 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-10-12, 12:11 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

^^^ Really, REALLY cool...but my one hesitation in going down a road like that is at the amount it would cost to do it, I might be better served with buying a newer used folder that might be a little lighter.

I hope it's clear that I'm surprisingly fond of this bike; it does some things VERY well and could do a lot more with some relatively minor changes (rims, gearing). It's great having a simple townie like this! I always assumed I'd sell it after the injury healed, but it's staying. I was actually strongly considering tossing on some studded tires and using it as a winter bike, but I thought the smaller wheels, and fenders, would make it less ideal for those conditions.

One other thought...thanks to 65r and "other" Aaron for pushing the Twenty route rather than the Peugeot I had been looking at; this rides MUCH nicer. It really is a smart design...as evidenced by the more modern folders pretty much replicating a lot of its features. I'd really like a titanium one

I really will take some better photos soon.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 10-10-12 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-10-12, 01:05 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Aaron, I'm (mostly) glad to hear it! pm me if you would like me to mail you an 18T sprocket gratis. I can include aluminum rims (36H) for the cost of shipping.

AW hubs are only a joy when geared right (the 18T will help) and working well. Unfortunately the Twenty was set up with a cable housing that runs the full length of the cable, and this has a severely detrimental effect on shifting. I can't think of an easy fix for that (but new and well lubricated cable might help a lot). Those of us who love them are comfortable with the occasional need to open the hub up and see what it looks like in there. If you won't be bringing yourself to do that, you should find someone who does.

Get some rattrap pedals --cheap BMX pedals are good.

You should realize the Twenty was originally designed to run 20 x 1 3/8 wheels, which are bigger than what you got. It makes a difference! This may be why your BB seems so low.
Old 10-10-12, 01:16 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

rhm...PM incoming, but also responding a little here for posterity. Great post btw.

I'm definitely interested in the rims and appreciate the generous offer.

I'm glad to know it's not just me on the shifting issue; others reacted like I was insane or incompetent. I was planning on going with a 20-22 rear...do you think that would negatively impact shifting? I had some others play with the hub and cable setup and they didn't get it the way I wanted; eventually got it where I wanted it by continually fidgeting with it. The big help came when I slid the clamp forward and REALLY pulled the housing tight.

I'm pretty sure these are the original wheels?
Old 10-10-12, 02:48 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

^^^ Really, REALLY cool...but my one hesitation in going down a road like that is at the amount it would cost to do it, I might be better served with buying a newer used folder that might be a little lighter.

I hope it's clear that I'm surprisingly fond of this bike; it does some things VERY well and could do a lot more with some relatively minor changes (rims, gearing). It's great having a simple townie like this! I always assumed I'd sell it after the injury healed, but it's staying. I was actually strongly considering tossing on some studded tires and using it as a winter bike, but I thought the smaller wheels, and fenders, would make it less ideal for those conditions.

One other thought...thanks to 65r and "other" Aaron for pushing the Twenty route rather than the Peugeot I had been looking at; this rides MUCH nicer. It really is a smart design...as evidenced by the more modern folders pretty much replicating a lot of its features. I'd really like a titanium one

I really will take some better photos soon.

New alloy rims, Kool Stop pads, and brake levers that are not made of cheese will really help the braking and feel.
Old 10-10-12, 04:31 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,433 Posts
Aaron, you forgot to mention how insanely useless the brakes are, even in the dry.

I bought a Twenty a couple of years ago and have had it on the back burner since then. I had one many years ago and souped it up and hated it anyway. This time, I've bought some very long reach dual pivot brakes and will try them, though they look like they're not long enough.

I'll check out your point about being crank-forward. Maybe that's been my problem.

I didn't end up enjoying my Surly Cross Check with drum brake wheels, so I could recommission the front hub to the Twenty. That way, it will have at least one excellent brake.

I can't understand why your AW hub isn't working well. Maybe I will if I get a chance to look at it. I've had great luck with AW's since I was about 9 years old. I had one on my Stingray knockoff, and a kid at the playground showed me how to adjust it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-10-12, 04:59 PM
jr59

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Hey now!

At least you are ridding!

You could still be waiting to heal.

But NO! Aaron got the ok to use a twenty yo zip around on and now he is complaining!

LOL! No worries buddy, befor long we will both be back out on our full sized bikes ridding the way we want to!
Old 10-10-12, 05:16 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

I dunno... I started riding my p20 after my back injury and have been riding it ever since... The stock 20 is a bike I have trouble riding any serious distance because my back issues.
Old 10-10-12, 05:25 PM
KvltBryce
- Bikes Not Bombs -

Bikes: 1986 LOOK KG86, 19XX Les Ephgrave?, 1983 Nishiki Royal, 199X Nukeproof MTB, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jr59
At least you are riding!
You could still be waiting to heal.
+1 Congrats on a step closer to full recovery

These Twenties are really starting to grow on me ahahah
Old 10-10-12, 05:41 PM
RFC

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
You need a new Dr. I have one who is a cyclist and it makes all the difference in the world.
Old 10-10-12, 05:53 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
I dunno... I started riding my p20 after my back injury and have been riding it ever since... The stock 20 is a bike I have trouble riding any serious distance because my back issues.
I have the same issue with upright positions 65r...my back does much better with a more aggressive position. It stretches everything out somehow. I'm not too familiar with P-20, is that phillips 20? Didn't Raleigh own Phillips?

Jr - I'm NOT complaining - I like this bike! It does have some distinct eccentricities

Tom - the bike stops OK for me dry. Not like my modern stuff, but at the lower speeds, it's ok. I expected to hate it, but I'd rather ride this than a Sports/superbe/etc.

Thanks for the well wishes gang!
Old 10-10-12, 06:44 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Better photos:

Old 10-10-12, 06:54 PM
TuckamoreDew

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm pretty sure these are the original wheels?
Probably the original wheels. The 20 was produced with with both 406 (20 x 1.75) and 451 (20 x 1 3/8)wheels. If you have the smaller 406 wheels you at least have the advantage of having a much larger selection of tires and rims.
Old 10-10-12, 07:36 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Originally Posted by TuckamoreDew
Probably the original wheels. The 20 was produced with with both 406 (20 x 1.75) and 451 (20 x 1 3/8)wheels. If you have the smaller 406 wheels you at least have the advantage of having a much larger selection of tires and rims.
I don't think many 451 wheeled Twenties made it to the States. The comment above about the wheels was trying to explain why BB feels so low to the ground; the original design used 451s but Raleigh started selling it with 406s and very looooonnngg reach brakes.

I rode my mine for a while in late winter. The handling is very quick and if I started to fall it's easy to jump down to the ground. I've seen Innova studded tires in the 406 size; I didn't know one could get studded marathons in that size, too.

I met someone here in town with a Twenty that he upgraded with aluminum rims, new brake levers, and a Nexus 7 speed hub. It was his commuter bike for several years; he said he wouldn't like to ride it for more than 10 miles but it was great for shorter rides. He liked being upright and said he could see better.

Last edited by gna; 10-10-12 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-10-12, 07:36 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

I just checked - they're 20x1.75. I agree with your friend; it's a great short range, around town bike. Getting over 10 miles on it is less fun. The lack of hand positions starts to bug me.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 10-10-12 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-10-12, 07:58 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
You guys bring back some wonderful memories of the coffee Twenty I had as my daily go-to-work bike between 1973 and 1975. As per Aaron's initial comments, the stock bike is geared way too high at the rear. I got around it with a Benelux 3-speed sprocket and Huret Allvit derailleur (taken off the Twenty's predecessor, an ivory Raleigh Sports). It especially helped the commute to the bike shop once it moved up the hill and closer to I-90, while I was living eight blocks from Lake Erie which was essentially what passed for sea level in Erie, PA.

Of course, I'd love to find another. The biggest complaint I had was that I had to have the seatpost 1-1/2" past the "do not extend" mark to get a full pedal stroke. And I'm only 5'-10.5" with a 32" inseam.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 10-10-12, 08:05 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
I just checked - they're 20x1.75. I agree with your friend; it's a great short range, around town bike. Getting over 10 miles on it is less fun. The lack of hand positions starts to bug me.
Not impossible, though. I rode the '75 (or was it '76?) Tour of the Scioto River Valley on mine. Wearing a suit, bow tie, bowler, and smoking a pipe much of the way.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 10-10-12, 08:22 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 388 Posts
Life is funny. One day you're king of the world, riding to work on some beautiful overkill bike and the next, you're wondering if you're going to bike again. My Doctor told me no cycling for 6-9 months because of the risk of re-injury. Coming from a legal background, I negotiated; eventually he agreed that riding a lower stand over bike at lower speeds should mitigate much of the risk he was concerned about. I bought a Raleigh Twenty...thinking it would be better than nothing, but probably not much better. I've now ridden that bike and have some observations to share:

Stuff I really like:

1. The fenders are great...they stay put, they have ample coverage and they don't dent when leaned up against stuff.

2. I love the width of the wheels and the tire pressure...it rides very nicely on a variety of surfaces...much better than I'd have thought.

3. It's sportier and quicker than I expected, especially accelerating. I never thought the bike might be fun, but it is! It doesn't hold speed well.

4. I LOVE that rear plescher rack - so useful! I can toss a laptop under it. A lock. Groceries. Use a pannier. It's just a great rack and I'd love more like it. It's also positioned well...I have huge feet, but I can ride with a pannier and not get heel strike. Well... occasional, but not awful!

5. I can just leave it outside and not fret over things. It has thick paint.

6. The mattress saddle works amazingly well with the positioning, better than the Brooks leather I tossed on and tried.

7. Parts are standard, easy to maintain.

8. It looks cool!

9. Lots of room for added stuff...surprisingly versatile as a platform.

Stuff I like less:

1. The biggest weakness of the bike are the steel rims; wheel rotational weight stinks and braking is compromised. I don't understand why Raleigh bothers to put fenders on bikes that are useless in the rain. I initially didn't think I'd bother addressing the issue, but I've decided the bike has a useful future and it would be more useful with alloy rims.

2. I think my dislike of IGH is well known, and it has only increased with this bike. Changing flats is more difficult, the indicator chains are weak and I'm constantly dealing with cable stretch. I finally got the SA working and tensioned, but to get it there, it now doesn't shift as well at a full stop. It seems to be either/or - when it's shifting at a full stop, it's too lose to shift into low gear. It also doesn't shift as well while pedaling and the rythm of shifting while coasting is very odd. The spacing between gears is more limited, I prefer better gear ranges. I do not understand why folks use these.

3. The rear gearing is too high...I believe it's a 16 tooth. I think a 20 would be a LOT more sensible and I'll be changing mine out shortly. I'm assuming Raleigh expected people to walk up a lot of these hills.

4. Cornering is VERY compromised because the pedals are low to the ground. If I take a turn anything but soft and slow, the pedal grinds the pavement.

5. The positioning is very odd...it feels like the cranks are further forward than normal; I don't like it at all. The hand positions are very limited and I can't really get out of the saddle with these bars. I don't think drops would work because of the weird forward positioning.

6. I feel like I'm constantly slipping off of the pedals...part of that is that I'm not used to platforms, but part is the crank position and placement.

7. It weighs a TON! I wish they made one in 531! It's too heavy to really use as a transit-bike machine and it folds pretty big. As an actual portable folder, it's limited.

sounds like you need to upgrade to more advanced small wheeled classics. I recommend a Moulton F-Frame S series (Speed Six, Safari S, Stowaway S) or a Royal Enfield Revalation. Neither fold but are were made with 531. and alloy components. Good luck finding either though. Note that the regular Moulton F-Frame bikes are made from less fancy steel and weigh about the same as a R20.

The Moulton and the R20 are fun bikes to ride. Nice and nippy. and very practical. I don't know about the Royal Enfield as they are very rare beasts and I've never actually seen one.
Old 10-10-12, 09:04 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

If the right Moulton fell to me I'd probably take it home, but I really like this bike, flaws and all. The way 65r did his is just remarkable. I'm glad this brought back fond memories and it really is a neat, useful little bike. It's the first Raleigh 3 sp I've ever liked.

As much as it's been a nice departure from my usual tastes, I have to say...I'm revving to ride that vanilla.
Old 10-10-12, 09:06 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by sykerocker
Not impossible, though. I rode the '75 (or was it '76?) Tour of the Scioto River Valley on mine. Wearing a suit, bow tie, bowler, and smoking a pipe much of the way.
Holy moly, that is a feat.

Cool thread title Aaron.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.