Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1984 Trek 890 City Commuter "Urban Canyon" Bike, What to make of this beast?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1984 Trek 890 City Commuter "Urban Canyon" Bike, What to make of this beast?

Old 02-04-13, 08:23 PM
DIMcyclist
No longer active

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Lots of reasons I suppose; they vary from person to person...

Some people do it for aesthetics, some for nostalgia, some because they really want cushy fat tires; in my case, about four years ago- and basically as an experiment, I converted my old Trek commuter for the sake of a zippier ride while still maintaining a certain amount of loading potential (I've occasionally hauled close to 100 lbs on it, over the rack limit anyway). So I wanted a wheel with less rolling resistance that still wouldn't need constant truing. The 650bs work like a charm.

My current restoration project (which will play out over this coming year) is what appears to be an actual 650b Japanese frame from the early '80s. The geometry and measurements are off, both for typical 26" and 700c framesets, but dead-on for 650b frames; in fact it's geometry makes it almost exactly a lugged version of a VO Polyvalent with slightly longer chainstays (like the Campeur). Needless to say, for the $25 I paid for it, I'm pretty stoked to begin.

Last edited by DIMcyclist; 04-29-13 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-25-13, 06:54 PM
wlsinwi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just wanted to say hi to the 890 fans! I have one myself. I'm the original owner of it and I love it. I've done a lot of upgrading of it over the years but have tried to stay true to the original concept. I use it for hard park trails. I almost gave it away a couple of years ago but couldn't find anything new that I liked as much so I rebuilt it with better (in my opinion) parts where I could. Off the top of my head I have Michelin 1.75 Country Rock tires on the old Weinmann rims. They fit great and the tread is amazing. 1.75 is as much as you want to go to clear the unique front forks. Suntour XC thumb shifters, quill and pedals. Shimano cassette BB and derailleurs. I got a Suntour nos Winner Pro 5 speed freewheel to replace the old Atom. I converted it to a 10 speed and use the ground down outer ring as a gear protector. I just like the way it rides. The upright touring position is perfect for enjoying the countryside.
My other bike is a Trek Soho which is more of a city bike than the 890 was. I enjoy both.
Attached Images

Last edited by wlsinwi; 04-27-13 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-25-13, 07:44 PM
Mariner Fan
59'er

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I want an early Trek all terrain bike! Let the hunt begin!
Old 04-29-13, 01:52 PM
DIMcyclist
No longer active

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Talley-Ho!
Old 05-07-13, 10:58 AM
Gartenmeister

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Me too! Me too!

Picked this up today off the local Craigslist......as found:

Feeling lucky to find it after reading this thread....can't wait to go to work on it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1-890.jpg (101.4 KB, 223 views)
Old 05-07-13, 11:17 AM
Cache

Bikes: 1982 Torker BMX, 1990 Cannondale Black Lightning, 1996 Cannondale F400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gartenmeister, good grab. I saw that on your CL and posted it to the 'are you looking for one of these' thread. I considered finding a facilitator to ship it to me or contacting the poster to see if he'd ship it directly, but in the end, I posted the deal here and glad a bikeforums member grabbed it, and posted about it too! At one time, I would have recommended creating your own post to detail the purchase and it's restoration/modernization (or conversion to drop bars), but I was misinterpreted so you might as well keep us updated right here in this thread. It's all good. Did you pay the full asking price?? Well worth it, but even better if you saved a bit of coin to re-invest in cleaning it up.
Old 05-07-13, 11:25 AM
Gartenmeister

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Cache
Did you pay the full asking price?? Well worth it, but even better if you saved a bit of coin to re-invest in cleaning it up.
Gave $100 for it. Certainly not the thrift store steal that others have found, but I figure it was fair for a cool frame in good shape. The bike is actually complete, working and ride-able as well.
Old 01-06-14, 08:57 AM
MR500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have one of these bikes. I did some research and found this thread.
It is exactly like the one pictured at the top of page and same color.

I has had little use and has a small size frame and is all original except for the saddle and w/o toe clips.

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 01-06-14 at 02:22 PM. Reason: selling
Old 06-01-14, 01:04 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
The early lugged Trek 750s are more common than the Trek 890. They have a touring geometry, making them very versatile bikes.

They're not really hybrids; they are a modern update to the old English 3 speeds. The long wheelbase makes them more suitable for city riding than a conventional road bike.

Nice find!
Old 06-01-14, 04:46 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Creme Brulee
certainly thats no road frame with that chainstay length
If it came with 700c wheels that would explain the long stays.
Old 06-01-14, 09:57 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Creme Brulee
put some swept back bars on that and you have yourself a limo.
Flipped North Roads!
Old 06-02-14, 08:21 AM
BIGDCYCLES
Gravel Junkie

Bikes: GT type CX, FUJI Sandblaster Drop Bar conversion, Kink Williams BMX, Framed Defendant Pro 22" BMX, Custom Klunker

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Would love to have one of these. Long frames ride oh so nice. I think you scored for 100 bones.
Old 06-03-14, 03:43 AM
mobilemail

Bikes: You mean this week?

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
Heh, funny you should mention that. Close to St. Louis? I have mine listed on our own C&V sales: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...rek-830-a.html
Same frame, this model came with Suntour instead of Shimano component (including the coveted power thumbshifters) and different bars/stem. She's a looker! If you were willing to pick it up I'm sure we could make a deal. 18" frame.
Old 06-05-14, 07:41 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
C&V sacrilege, blasphemy:

I found this in the discard pile at a local charity, Seasonal Workers Program bike rental. I do work for them, tuning and repairing bikes for the upcoming season of workers flooding in from away. Generally, eastern Europe and Jamaica. People in town know to donate their bikes there, and every season, it seems that something sweet turns up. Still rehabbing a Bianchi Volpe from last year.

In any case, bike was in rough shape, wheels were toast, chain and cables rusty, lots of corrosion. The frame cleaned up real nice, though, and a bit of effort with some steel wool cleaned up the stem, bars, seatpost, and crank. Bearing and races were cleaned and re-packed. Orig shifters were totally rusted solid.

Whole reason I got this bike is because a co-worker at the shop built out an old Schwinn with horiz d/o's as a Klunker ala Transition, with coaster brake. So of course I needed to build one, too. The wheels were closeout items from Trek, I had the Soma Okami saddle, Surly 36t chainring, and Fyxation pedals. ODI grips to match the wheels (kind of), KMC Pintle half-link chain, and Bontrager 1.75 HR3s(?). Orig frameset, BB, headset, stem, bars, seatpost, cranks. And the 80s vintage crane-style bell which came on the bike. 1.75 is as wide a tire as can be fit to this bike. Didn't have wheels to try it out, but I don't think 650b wheels/tires would fit.

So much fun. If anyone needs, PM me for original equipment take-offs. Hubs, Suntour derailleurs, chainrings, brakes, brake levers.