Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Do/Should you own at least 1 "modern" road bike?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Do/Should you own at least 1 "modern" road bike?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-13, 03:43 AM
Zieleman

Bikes: Enough for now

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Modern-ish, anyway

Most of my bikes have these:

However, one of my bikes has these:

They're on this:

The frame was custom-built in 2002 and most of the components are mid-to-late 90s; that's why I append "ish" to the word modern. It feels much more modern than the downtube shifter-equipped bikes, though - particularly with the 53/39 crankset (which is much easier on my aging knees) and the interesting properties of the 853 tubeset.

DD
That's wonderful to gasp at, DD! I bet it rides pretty swell too. The quill stem makes the overall look very classic and you hardly notice the brifters . Btw I must add the best looking brifters in town.
Old 07-28-13, 03:48 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
^ Thanks, Z-Man

It does indeed ride very nicely, and I too think the normal quill stem (inserted into a modern-ish Chris King headset now) keeps the overall look a bit more classic.

The brifters were a labor of love, so it's nice to get positive feedback on them - thank you for your kind comments!

DD
Old 07-28-13, 04:00 AM
Zieleman

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude

The brifters were a labor of love

DD
I wish I could love that good... That Davidson must be my ideal version of a 'modern' bike. Makes me have second thought of my purchase yesterday: a 1998ish team Foreldorado-Golff Ti Gazelle with a 6500 gruppo from former pro rider Jan van Velzen. I'll post some pics after my ride today.
Old 07-28-13, 04:08 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Zieleman
I wish I could love that good... That Davidson must be my ideal version of a 'modern' bike. Makes me have second thought of my purchase yesterday: a 1998ish team Foreldorado-Golff Ti Gazelle with a 6500 gruppo from former pro rider Jan van Velzen. I'll post some pics after my ride today.
Nice! I'm looking forward to them... after I finish my vintage steelies ride+barbeque today!
Old 07-28-13, 05:00 AM
shuru421

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 20 Posts
ok so quick question. ive been looking into columbus slx frames and came across this frame that i can definitely dig. It was called Concorde? I dont know, it was blue, white with little hints of black.. pretty awesome. Were these bikes any good?

Also, would it be a "waste" to 'modernize' perhaps a 1990 Fuji Ace? https://classicfuji.com/Ace_1990_Page.htm
(in white)
Old 07-28-13, 05:37 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Mostly I go to putting brifters and wheel changes, on my mid 80s C&V bikes.. But, I do have two that a just a tad over C&V..I dunno, the Litespeed is a 1996. Could be C&V...

A 1996 Litespeed Classic, and a 2001 Raleigh R700.. the R700 was just a frame, and Robbie Tunes put his magic on it.
Old 07-28-13, 05:37 AM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Leave me out of that fad, please! The best way to enhance a wheel's reliability and rim strength to weight ratio is to increase, not decrease, the spoke count. I have either 32 or 36 spokes on every bicycle wheel I own.
Well said. 36 spokes minimum here at old's'cool. My two workhorse bikes have 40 respectively 48 spoke rear wheels.
Old 07-28-13, 05:56 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Originally Posted by shuru421
ok so quick question. ive been looking into columbus slx frames and came across this frame that i can definitely dig. It was called Concorde? I dont know, it was blue, white with little hints of black.. pretty awesome. Were these bikes any good?

Also, would it be a "waste" to 'modernize' perhaps a 1990 Fuji Ace? https://classicfuji.com/Ace_1990_Page.htm
(in white)
Yes, there are plenty of Concordes out there, most use Aelle quality level and up on the tubing, but there were some canadian version made from Hi-Ten. The European versions were all quite nice. I ride a Concorde converted to fixed gear and the frame is a joy to ride, fast criterium geometry and very stiff.
Old 07-28-13, 06:12 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I like the question since both "should" and "modern" are kinda thorny issues.

I used to ride a "modern" bike with an aluminum frame with carbon fork, carbon wishbone on the seat stays, 105 nine speed road triple gearing... It weighed about 17 lbs and rode great but somehow lacked some something. I sold it a few years ago.

So I have been trying out a variety of bikes that were state-of-the-art at various points in the past and at the same time trying to find something that passes for 'modern.' And I'm not sure what I've learned yet.

Well, one thing I've learned is that weight doesn't seem to matter. The weight difference among the people on any given ride is often far greater than the weight difference among their bikes. Not sure what that means....

I'm also finding I don't like integrated shifting near as much as I thought I would. Having lots of gears to choose from, with tiny even steps between them, is great for a while, if you're riding in a pack where someone else is setting the pace. But if you're setting your own pace that advantage disappears. I have ridden in large groups where the other guys had "modern" stuff and i was on a 60-year old three speed (a very nice one!) and î had no issues except on a couple descents where I didn't trust my brakes enough to really let fly.

Furthermore, on long rides i reach the point when my fingers are too tired to shift brifters, but this doesn't seem to happen with downtube shifters.

Modern brakes are excellent, though.

Bottom line, if a "modern" bike gives you an advantage or a thrill you can't otherwise get, then maybe yes you "should" have one. And if you don't know whether it does or doesn't, then maybe you "should" try one. And finally you cannot credibly argue that modern gear offers no advantage if you haven't seriously tried it.

Last edited by rhm; 07-28-13 at 06:18 AM.
Old 07-28-13, 08:19 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Modern brakes are excellent, though.
+1

0nce iI tried dual pivots, i was sold. Trying to center my shimano 600 brakes drove me around the bend.
Old 07-28-13, 08:40 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Ishiwata tubing is as good as any... the quad butted tube sets were wonderful and suitable for greater strength in frames like my Cascade Expedition bike (which is still fairly light) while the lightest Ishiwata tube sets made for some exceptionally light and strong road frames.
Yeah, I think the thinnest Ishiwata tubes had walls 0.4 mm, if I recall correctly. That makes them MUCH more flexible than SL or SLX. Should feel like 753, maybe? I think some of the earliest RB-1s used it.

My Terraferma has 0.4 mm top and down tubes, standard diameter. That makes a flexy 650b frame that I so far don't fully appreciate. I rode my SL Mondonico a week ago and again loved it, and I have an ELOS Mondonico shipping to me with 0.4 mm walls but larger diameter. I don't know yet how it will ride.
Old 07-28-13, 08:58 AM
whatwolf
Unimatrix Zero

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All of my bikes have something modern on or about them.

I mix and match in both directions:

The 1991 Merckx frame has 11-speed Athena.
The 2005(?) Rawland frame has a vintage 8-sp mix with bar ends.
Old 07-28-13, 09:27 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I have a mixture of newer and older bikes. I've been riding the older steel bikes far more than the new bikes this year.

I consider my newer bikes to be a little more efficient but also a little more bland than my older steel bikes. If I'm riding with a fast group, I want brifters and a light-weight modern bike that sprints well. However, most of my rides are longer distances and sprints are avoided. On longer rides at a century pace there is not much difference in performance between a top-quality C&V bike and a modern $2000 Carbon-fiber bike.

The multiple small advances of a modern bike add up to a bike that accelerates faster and uses the riders power better. However, the reduced effort actually deprives me of some of the adventure that I enjoy while cycling.
Very well stated.
Old 07-28-13, 09:30 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
I don't know. They just don't "speak" to me. Like other things, tools, camping gear, wrist watches, etc., etc., the older versions appeal to me more. I DO prefer my modern lawn mower, however.
So, you hear voices, too?
Old 07-28-13, 10:29 AM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
In 2011, I had built and rode a handful of times, a 'modernish' 2003 Trek 1000 all-aluminum road bike. It began as a frame I picked up in 2007, and gathered parts for my version of a modern classic. It was set up as a daily rider. I didn't care for brifters or 10 speed cassettes. I opted for 8 speed bar-ends, with 105 dual pivot brakes, and quality components.

It resulted in a bike that wasn't much lighter than a fine steel counterpart.
Riding the same routes, I found the Trek had no advantage over my C&V Bianchi Premio or Benotto Triathlon, in climbs and descents. The ride characteristics of my Benotto felt much better than the Trek. The Trek wasn't harsh which is stereotypical of aluminum framesets. On paper, Trek is the superior bike in all categories.

But the overall result reveals that the sum of its parts doesn't guaranty modern will be a clear winner.

(Sadly, the Trek is gone. My ex-wife stole it, claiming it is community property(which it wasn't) and it was a gift to her son. Its whereabouts is unknown.)

Old 07-28-13, 12:21 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if my Bianchi Eros falls on the "wrong side" of the C&V/modern line with its indexed shifting, cassette rear hub, aero brake levers, DP brakes, and unicrown fork.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-28-13, 12:30 PM
Mariner Fan
59'er

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I had this Lemond up until a few months ago. Dura Ace components and a nice rider. I was riding my old Trek more and more so I finally sold it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (99.2 KB, 17 views)
Old 07-28-13, 01:53 PM
shuru421

ok so modernize the ace/get an slx frame anyways?

orr get an slx frame/modernize it & keep the ace c&v?
Old 07-28-13, 02:16 PM
shuru421

Also, all this SLX talk makes me regret ever getting into the mid/high-end vintage Fujis..(not really..but kind of wish i knew of columbus slx WAYYY sooner, maybe i wouldnt have bought a Faggin tre-tubi..)

Are SL frames that much lower end compared to the SLX? I read that its stiffer due to some extra (forgot what its called) 'reinforcement' on the insides for a stiffer ride?
Just seems harder to come across an SLX (one i really like) compared to an SL (more makes/colors options). If the difference is so minor i wouldn't be able to tell..i was thinking of an SL frame. Just been thinking..
Old 07-28-13, 02:52 PM
Zieleman

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Italuminium
Nice! I'm looking forward to them... after I finish my vintage steelies ride+barbeque today!
Well, the ride's kinda stiff (nothing wrong about that). Takes a little getting used to the brifters tho
Attached Images
image.jpg (99.9 KB, 27 views)
Old 07-28-13, 03:15 PM
Zieleman

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
More pics?

used to be Jan van Velzen's bike back in the day : https://www.dewielersite.net/db2/wiel...coureurid=7862
Attached Images
image.jpg (46.7 KB, 16 views)
image.jpg (73.7 KB, 13 views)
image.jpg (54.1 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Zieleman; 07-28-13 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-28-13, 03:41 PM
PhilPub

Bikes: Ron Cooper Columbus SL 1987, Planet X London Road

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 7 Posts
The classic steel frame + modern group thing has been covered well already, but it's a good excuse to post my bike again! Columbus SL, 1987 / SRAM group set, 2011. This genuinely feels nicer to ride than my modern (Planet X) carbon bike, although the carbon bike is a little lighter and probably has a more responsive front end; but like others I'm not racing crits, just going out on long, scenic rides. I love the performance of modern brakes and convenience of 10-spd + modern shifters, so this was never going to be an NOS period restoration.

That being said, if someone was starting from scratch, depending on the purpose of their ride, I might recommend getting an OTP modern bike since you can get good bang-for-your-buck that way.
Old 07-28-13, 03:58 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
I am considered "retro" by the local club guys with a Masi 3V AND 8 speed brake lever index shifting, it does have dual pivot brakes, but 32 spoke wheels.

I guess to be modern, I need 11 in back and epoxy holding it all together, with silly low spoke count wheels.
Old 07-28-13, 04:00 PM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Originally Posted by Zieleman
Well, the ride's kinda stiff (nothing wrong about that). Takes a little getting used to the brifters tho
Nice! Saw it on MP as well... So Gazelle did Ti frames as well? New for me! Or is at a contract build?
Old 07-28-13, 04:01 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
That's my favorite sram quipped vintage bike. So cool.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.