Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My new everyday beater

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

My new everyday beater

Old 02-17-15, 04:00 PM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,127 Times in 427 Posts
I actually work on my bikes mostly at work. It's been off and on working on my house with temps in the single digits. I don't have the heat turned on yet. A little more wiring to do.
Old 02-17-15, 04:05 PM
daf1009

Bikes: LESS than I did a year ago!

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Pinarello = "Beater"

Only in the world of C&V would this occur...wow...
Old 02-17-15, 04:24 PM
Flyboy718

Bikes: 1986 Univega Gran Rally 1993 Univega Gran Premio 1995 Univega Alpina 501 Univega Nuovo Sport Univega Viva Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Very nice!
Old 02-17-15, 04:31 PM
CenturionIM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should try to shrink that frame a little bit. Makes for a better everyday beater.
Old 02-24-15, 10:49 AM
Mariner Fan
59'er

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
What is the size? 60cm?
Old 02-24-15, 10:57 AM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,127 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by Mariner Fan
What is the size? 60cm?
Where in the heck have you been? Its a 59cm seat post, 57cm top tube.
Old 02-24-15, 11:06 AM
Cassave

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ham
If that's your saddle height I'd venture to say your other way smaller bikes are too small.
^This. You've got a fistful of seatpost showing. Looks like a good fit!
Old 02-24-15, 11:47 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 856 Posts
Unless the standover height is literally at the bones, It looks like some minor tweaking of the saddle fore/aft might get the reach dimension just where it needs to be. At least there will be no problem getting the handlebar high enough without the bike looking too "fredded".
And, as a TreTubi framed bike, dent resistance is better, the steering response is crisper and pedaling forces will cause less deflection about the bottom bracket.

A new bike with a different fit "situation" can often be an opportunity to explore the multitude of pro/con fit parameters, as sometimes it takes a seemingly ill-fitting bike to "force" a rider to realize what sort of fit parameters actually contribute
to a balanced compromise suited to the widest variety of riding situations.

I've found some big bikes to best suit a more-aggressive, higher-output style of riding that hardly compromises commuter comfort at all, and the bikes were had quite cheaply, perhaps because few thought they could comfortably ride them.

There has long been a trend toward cruiserized road bikes, whereby set-back seatposts and the like are espoused as key to riding comfort.
But I've found the opposite to be true in most cases, so I encourage others to at least try giving the saddle a subtle slide forward when a bike's reach feels like a stretch, and perhaps re-discover the comfort of not having to do such an extreme, knee-stressing squat/heave when rising to a standing "climbing" position.
After all, road bikes get much of their advantage from their multitude of grip and seating positions, in part by allowing parts of the body to recover while other sets of muscles and weight-bearing tissues alternately take over.

This Ciocc (complete with it's original, long stem) is right at the limit of what this 5'9" rider would consider riding. But the heights are set where I want them, and the "aero" portion of the seatpost is fully above the seat tube clamp. Out on the road, there are no comfort issues even on three or four-hour rides. Note this saddle is fully forward and for reference this frame's angles are 73-degrees square.
When the going gets tough, and the pedaling intensity increases, a comfort advantage is actually realized as I am comfortably more aero (with less bend at the waist) and can more quickly and effortlessly transition to a standing climbing position in lieu of having to select a lower, slower gear ratio.
Also, the longer stem calms the steering of what is a relatively flexible frame (Columbus MiniMax tubing).

Last edited by dddd; 02-24-15 at 11:51 AM.