Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.4

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.4

Old 12-01-21, 09:54 AM
  #8176  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 46,496

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 765 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23611 Post(s)
Liked 1,216 Times in 857 Posts
Map of the Day

1 December 2021

Private fusion companies


__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 12-01-21, 09:54 AM
  #8177  
Mojo31
...
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 7,636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 3,541 Times in 1,949 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
If a truck can manage with three speeds, a cyclist should be just fine with "only" ten.

https://twitter.com/Bringatrailer/st...37117943881733
Since the truck weighs much more than a cyclist, shouldn't the cyclist be able to do just fine with less gears than the truck?
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 12-01-21, 10:01 AM
  #8178  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 53,374

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11361 Post(s)
Liked 2,727 Times in 1,604 Posts
Sometimes, one gear is all you need.

__________________
Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
If this thread doesn't go 10 pages I'm quitting BF.
rjones28 is offline  
Likes For rjones28:
Old 12-01-21, 10:03 AM
  #8179  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 19,862
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4814 Post(s)
Liked 4,231 Times in 2,275 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31 View Post
Since the truck weighs much more than a cyclist, shouldn't the cyclist be able to do just fine with less gears than the truck?
Having owned and driven older 3 speed vehicles and even 2 speed automatics I can say those vehicles would be quicker, more efficient, have better top speed, and be more of a pleasure to drive had they been equipped with 5 or even 4 speeds with overdrive.
Best thing I did to my last old pick up was install an overdrive transmission with a lock up torque converter. It went from screaming @ 65mph to cruising quietly.

Sometimes more really is better.
big john is offline  
Old 12-01-21, 10:06 AM
  #8180  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 11,374

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6237 Post(s)
Liked 6,587 Times in 3,380 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Staph aureus enterotoxin is heat stable, but refrigeration prevents it. Botulinum toxin, on the other hand, which is the big danger in canned goods, is easily destroyed by heating.
We did often wonder whether Dad's good health (no prescription meds till he was 99) was due in part to a strong immune system.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 12-01-21, 10:06 AM
  #8181  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 46,496

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 765 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23611 Post(s)
Liked 1,216 Times in 857 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
One handlebar colour is all you need.
Fixed.
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 12-01-21, 10:09 AM
  #8182  
Mojo31
...
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 7,636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 3,541 Times in 1,949 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Sometimes, one gear is all you need.

You ride that thing? All I've ever seen are pictures of it leaning against something.
Mojo31 is offline  
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 12-01-21, 10:12 AM
  #8183  
abshipp 
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 3,639

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2859 Post(s)
Liked 2,611 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post


The things we do for the pets we love.
​​​​​​
Speaking of...

Vet day for these two:

abshipp is offline  
Old 12-01-21, 10:13 AM
  #8184  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 11,374

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6237 Post(s)
Liked 6,587 Times in 3,380 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01 View Post
'84,
Then it would have been one of those, since she'd have been riding it in the late 80s/early 90s.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 12-01-21, 10:20 AM
  #8185  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 11,374

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6237 Post(s)
Liked 6,587 Times in 3,380 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 View Post
In Belize we heated leftovers to boiling for a few minutes every 12 hours. Tropical and no refrigeration. Of course we weren't eating that fancy schmancy food. Mostly beans and rice and vegies.
This reminds me of why some parts of the US have a tradition of making Country Ham - ie dry cured, not brine-pumped - and others don't. You need to have enough days that are below danger but above freezing for the cure to penetrate. Too cold and the cure doesn't get in, too warm and the meat spoils first. This is why you have Virginia and Kentucky and Tennessee making country hams, but not, say, Vermont or Florida.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 12-01-21, 10:32 AM
  #8186  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 11,374

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6237 Post(s)
Liked 6,587 Times in 3,380 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
MoAlpha or other: Exactly what is required to get an "abstract" made public? If this was so clearly bad info, how did it get put up on this site?

https://twitter.com/aetiology/status...93297301770245
Almost nothing. No peer review. A poster is literally that - you make a poster with your methods, results, and conclusions and physically stand by it to present it during a session where there are dozens to hundreds of other posters (depending on the size of the conference) to answer questions from attendees. Conferences often put together a book with all the abstracts, so you can choose which posters you want to visit, based on your own interests. The abstracts are often then published on the conference's websites.

Abstracts are generally not peer reviewed in any way because they don't contain the data, and posters don't carry the weight of an actual published article.

This is something we in the Scientific community understand, but lay people do not - the appearance of an assertion in an abstract is damn near meaningless.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 12-01-21, 10:33 AM
  #8187  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 11,374

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6237 Post(s)
Liked 6,587 Times in 3,380 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
If a truck can manage with three speeds, a cyclist should be just fine with "only" ten.

https://twitter.com/Bringatrailer/st...37117943881733
Only if the cyclist has a 6 or 8 cylinder engine.....
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 12-01-21, 10:34 AM
  #8188  
MoAlpha
• —
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 10,014

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8346 Post(s)
Liked 4,319 Times in 2,326 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
We did often wonder whether Dad's good health (no prescription meds till he was 99) was due in part to a strong immune system.
Sounds like good genes, the right environment, and conservative medical care. All good things.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 12-01-21, 10:39 AM
  #8189  
MoAlpha
• —
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 10,014

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8346 Post(s)
Liked 4,319 Times in 2,326 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
Almost nothing. No peer review. A poster is literally that - you make a poster with your methods, results, and conclusions and physically stand by it to present it during a session where there are dozens to hundreds of other posters (depending on the size of the conference) to answer questions from attendees. Conferences often put together a book with all the abstracts, so you can choose which posters you want to visit, based on your own interests. The abstracts are often then published on the conference's websites.

Abstracts are generally not peer reviewed in any way because they don't contain the data, and posters don't carry the weight of an actual published article.

This is something we in the Scientific community understand, but lay people do not - the appearance of an assertion in an abstract is damn near meaningless.
This is all correct. However, conferences often review poster and short talk submissions for quality and often publish them in special issues of otherwise peer-reviewed publications where they become citable, adding to the confusion. And then there are abstracts of published and ostensibly peer-reviewed journal articles, which are a different thing.

This one is worth the electrons it's printed on.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 12-01-21, 10:46 AM
  #8190  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 11,374

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6237 Post(s)
Liked 6,587 Times in 3,380 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Sounds like good genes, the right environment, and conservative medical care. All good things.
He was one of those lucky people who never really had to worry about weight, or diet, and he remained slender his whole life. His diet was pretty well balanced, but did not avoid fats or sugars.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 12-01-21, 10:47 AM
  #8191  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 19,862
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4814 Post(s)
Liked 4,231 Times in 2,275 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
Only if the cyclist has a 6 or 8 cylinder engine.....
big john is offline  
Old 12-01-21, 10:53 AM
  #8192  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 21,358

Bikes: Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9344 Post(s)
Liked 2,832 Times in 1,354 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy View Post
Interesting that that is the one in Cruger. I've driven by there MANY times....
I grew up 7 miles west of Cruger and ride by there frequently. I remember when Cruger had several houses still standing.
__________________

-Dennis T







Trsnrtr is offline  
Old 12-01-21, 11:02 AM
  #8193  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 11,374

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6237 Post(s)
Liked 6,587 Times in 3,380 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
This is all correct. However, conferences often review poster and short talk submissions for quality and often publish them in special issues of otherwise peer-reviewed publications where they become citable, adding to the confusion. And then there are abstracts of published and ostensibly peer-reviewed journal articles, which are a different thing.

This one is worth the electrons it's printed on.
This is the problem with the internet - it makes everything available to everyone, but doesn't teach you how to evaluate it. And even peer review assumes your data are real, so actual fraud can slip through and get published, and only later when nobody can replicate the results will it be exposed.

When I was at Cornell, there was a graduate student who was the star of the department, and published a series of papers in top flight journals, and ALL OF IT was bulls**t. Literally made up from whole cloth, and the data faked, including gels and autorads. He worked hard at it, possibly harder than he'd have had to work to get ACTUAL results.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 12-01-21, 11:06 AM
  #8194  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 11,374

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6237 Post(s)
Liked 6,587 Times in 3,380 Posts
Originally Posted by big john View Post
Love the proximity of the headers to the rider's nethers.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 12-01-21, 11:09 AM
  #8195  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 46,496

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 765 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23611 Post(s)
Liked 1,216 Times in 857 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
Almost nothing. No peer review. A poster is literally that - you make a poster with your methods, results, and conclusions and physically stand by it to present it during a session where there are dozens to hundreds of other posters (depending on the size of the conference) to answer questions from attendees.
Presumably it's made by someone with some scientific credibility. Or could I show up at a witch doctor conference with my self-study findings on the effectiveness of drugs?
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 12-01-21, 11:17 AM
  #8196  
Mojo31
...
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 7,636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 3,541 Times in 1,949 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
Presumably it's made by someone with some scientific credibility. Or could I show up at a witch doctor conference with my self-study findings on the effectiveness of drugs?
As long as you use fancy words that 99.9% of the population don't understand, you'll be fine.
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 12-01-21, 11:24 AM
  #8197  
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred
 
DougRNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NW Metro Atl.
Posts: 9,199

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6660 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 967 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Sometimes, one gear is all you need.

Reminds me of this having watched all 8 hours of the get back documentary.

DougRNS is offline  
Old 12-01-21, 11:30 AM
  #8198  
MoAlpha
• —
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 10,014

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8346 Post(s)
Liked 4,319 Times in 2,326 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
This is the problem with the internet - it makes everything available to everyone, but doesn't teach you how to evaluate it. And even peer review assumes your data are real, so actual fraud can slip through and get published, and only later when nobody can replicate the results will it be exposed.

When I was at Cornell, there was a graduate student who was the star of the department, and published a series of papers in top flight journals, and ALL OF IT was bulls**t. Literally made up from whole cloth, and the data faked, including gels and autorads. He worked hard at it, possibly harder than he'd have had to work to get ACTUAL results.
During my fellowship, my best buddy published a string of very high profile stuff, including a paper in Science, some of which I was on and most of which was at least partially fake. A smart journal reviewer figured out one of his little frauds and told our boss, who panicked and decided to keep it all hidden and play dumb if the authorities ever found out. This boy also dicked me around in a hundred ways which only became apparent later, including inviting me to his European lab as a visiting professor when we were junior faculty and then sticking me with the bill, which I had to pay out of pocket because he promised travel for my wife and kid plus an honorarium, and I did it as outside activity.

He went on to a chaired professorship and vice-deanship at Harvard Medical School, where the hanky-panky continued. A few years ago, he got busted for sexual inappropriateness (a chronic issue with him, I later found out) and lost all his NIH support. However, it was kept absolutely hermetically silent by HMS and they shifted him to another slightly less fancy position. My old boss, that reviewer, and other people who know never stopped doing business with him and inviting him to ****. People all over the world still line up to kiss his ass, although lots of them detest him.

That made me pretty cynical about science as an institution, even though it has put lots of food on the table over the years.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 12-01-21, 11:32 AM
  #8199  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 53,374

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11361 Post(s)
Liked 2,727 Times in 1,604 Posts
Originally Posted by big john View Post
Having owned and driven older 3 speed vehicles and even 2 speed automatics I can say those vehicles would be quicker, more efficient, have better top speed, and be more of a pleasure to drive had they been equipped with 5 or even 4 speeds with overdrive.
Best thing I did to my last old pick up was install an overdrive transmission with a lock up torque converter. It went from screaming @ 65mph to cruising quietly.

Sometimes more really is better.
The SportWagen (seen above) has 6 speeds. Will cruise quietly, at highway speeds, all day long.
__________________
Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
If this thread doesn't go 10 pages I'm quitting BF.
rjones28 is offline  
Likes For rjones28:
Old 12-01-21, 11:33 AM
  #8200  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 53,374

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11361 Post(s)
Liked 2,727 Times in 1,604 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
Fixed.
Some people here don't get it.
__________________
Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
If this thread doesn't go 10 pages I'm quitting BF.
rjones28 is offline  
Likes For rjones28:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.