Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does anyone try to clean their white bar tapes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Does anyone try to clean their white bar tapes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-22, 02:14 PM
BkSaGo

Bikes: CAAD9 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Had white bar tape on my CAAD 9 5 for a while. Hard to get real clean, but general household cleaners worked OK, but I image the foam rubber tape being more porous would be even harder to keep clean. I wear gloves, but tape still got dirty pretty quickly. Changed to black tape - problem solved.
Old 04-15-22, 02:28 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
I worked for a team that used white tape one season. I (and a couple other unfortunate mechanics that had to deal w/ white tape) used this:

Bleche Wite
Old 04-15-22, 05:02 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6950 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
If you run white bar tape, just replace it every few months. If you don't know how to wrap your own bars, run black tape.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-15-22, 06:01 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 287 Posts
I used to try and keep some things clean. Some areas just show wear, like bar tape. I let it show as a badge of honor.
It shows that it's being used as it's supposed to. The wear, dirt, and scrapes will all tell a story that the rider will more than likely remember.

I changed from black to blue/white.
Likes For Desert Ryder:
Old 04-15-22, 06:33 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
GoJo. Get the kind without the pumace if you can find it. Simply slather it on and hose it off. Takes about as long to do as I spent typing this.
Old 04-15-22, 07:07 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert Ryder
I used to try and keep some things clean. Some areas just show wear, like bar tape. I let it show as a badge of honor.
It shows that it's being used as it's supposed to. The wear, dirt, and scrapes will all tell a story that the rider will more than likely remember.

I changed from black to blue/white.
That looks like good alternative. Dirt would be less obvious. I'd probably go for white and red.
Old 04-15-22, 07:15 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
If you run white bar tape, just replace it every few months. If you don't know how to wrap your own bars, run black tape.
Not a bad option. My cork tape only cost $3. Except, taping is not my favorite task on the bike. I wrap and unwrap multiple times until I get the spacing, tightness, and thickness right and it has to be gobsmack in the middle. I make the loops on mine closer than usual so the wrap is thicker and more comfy.

...and then you need super extra care on the white tape. You can't let the other free end touch the floor, the tires or any greasy part of the bike while you wrap it! I could relate why LBS crew take a special liking to white tape guys.

If I had to clean, I prefer not to remove it.
Old 04-15-22, 07:46 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I just spray with a general cleaner (Like "409") and rub it clean with a cloth. It's not rocket science: stuff gets dirty? clean it.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 04-16-22, 03:39 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 445 Posts
White Tressostar or similar cloth tape cleans up nicely in a self-service car wash. Just blast it at close range with the soap and it comes out nearly new. I haven't tried it with the white Cinelli gel/cork stuff - don't know if the jet would be too powerful and tear up the tape, or not. I have gotten greasy spots (oops!) mostly out with toothpaste.

It's funny how guys can work on total rust-buckets without concern, even bragging about the 'patina', but get picky about handlebar tape that looks like it's been ridden. And I'm not talking about ridden 'til it's black, just ridden some since the taping was done.

To a rider from the seventies, white tape just looks pro.
Old 04-16-22, 05:03 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Body odor and eating exotic food attracts dirt to white bar tape, so you either stop those things or go with a different color.

It also attracts dogs like white on rice.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 04-16-22, 06:39 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,981 Times in 1,775 Posts
I just don't worry about it. I keep my bikes in pretty much pristine condition but I do ride them no matter how good they look. If white bar tape gives the look I want I use it. When it get's dirty I just don't worry about it. It's just a bike's Badge of Honor that proves it's being used.

I won't use white Lizardskin again though. Expensive, doesn't feel good, and attracts dirt like no other!
Old 04-16-22, 07:01 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
To a rider from the seventies, white tape just looks pro.

The way Dino's roll.
Likes For big chainring:
Old 04-25-22, 03:33 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 89 Posts
I had white tape once and I hated it. It looked good for one ride. I tried cleaning it and there would always be residual stains and grease.
Old 04-25-22, 04:09 PM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
I clean my white bar tape with a fresh wrap of black bar tape.
Likes For mprince:
Old 05-01-22, 01:54 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Usually only the bikes at places like Wal-Mart have white tape. Bike tape is available in many colors and no reason to use white tape. If you are going to have the tape replaced or do it yourself, consider putting the new tape over your dirty white tape as it makes the handebars thicker and provides more of a cushion for your hands. I have use the type of tape made for tennis rackets and wrapped the handlebars between the stem and the brake levers to make this section fatter.
Old 05-01-22, 02:08 PM
Taymob

Bikes: Moots, Bianchi SBX, litespeed classic, Bianchi mega pro

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
Usually only the bikes at places like Wal-Mart have white tape. Bike tape is available in many colors and no reason to use white tape. If you are going to have the tape replaced or do it yourself, consider putting the new tape over your dirty white tape as it makes the handebars thicker and provides more of a cushion for your hands. I have use the type of tape made for tennis rackets and wrapped the handlebars between the stem and the brake levers to make this section fatter.
I use simple green on the seat and tape.