Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Fixed bike repair stand ideal height?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-22, 09:41 AM
Enkidu1

Bikes: Bike Friday New World Tourist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I bought a repair stand that mounts on a wall recently. Can anyone suggest the ideal height to mount it at? I am 6 foot tall BTW. It is a Conquer Bicycle Wall Mount Repair Stand Bicycle Rack - Rotating Head.
I can't post a link as I have not made 10 posts on this site yet.

Thank You
Zack S
Old 05-13-22, 10:06 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 846 Times in 410 Posts
hmm. funny question. haven't come across a wall-mount repair stand before. thing is, I'm always changing the height based on what I'm doing. wrapping bars versus swapping a bottom bracket, for example. looks like product comes with two wall plates, so I would consider mounting them in a high / low config to at least provide two choices.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 05-13-22, 10:24 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,215 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by Enkidu1
I bought a repair stand that mounts on a wall recently. Can anyone suggest the ideal height to mount it at? I am 6 foot tall BTW. It is a Conquer Bicycle Wall Mount Repair Stand Bicycle Rack - Rotating Head.

Thank You
Zack S
Mine is about eye level (I’m 5’11”). It’s hard to tell from these pictures but you get the idea. The stand is a little tall at times but it generally works. I use shorter stands at my local co-ops which make for a bit more stooping when working on bottom brackets. Most of those can be adjusted but we generally keep them fairly short.

If you are the only person working on the stand, I’d say a little below your eye level. If you have someone else who may be working on it that is shorter, mount it a bit lower.

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-13-22, 10:37 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
For me stand/bike height is pretty dependent on what I am doing. As noted, standing to wrap bars, lube brakes, and doing tasks where I am not in one place for a while.

Drive train tasks, where I might be in one place for a while I’ll use a stool and make adjustments, change chain rings, cleaning RD pulleys, etc.

My suggestion is to consider a mounted stand height that allows for both.

I’m also a proponent of supporting a front/rear wheel when removing/torquing a bottom bracket or crank. I have a folding freestanding work stand so that does influence my perspective.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 05-13-22, 01:05 PM
Enkidu1

Bikes: Bike Friday New World Tourist

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It did come with two steel mounting brackets so I can mount one high and one low.

Last edited by Enkidu1; 05-13-22 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-13-22, 07:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
Never seen or heard of that brand. I wouldn't want to mount to a wall unless for some odd reason that was the absolute only way to do it. I would just return it and get a separate stand. Park Tool makes some decent stands that you can change the height on and would be way more sensible for repairs.

If you are stuck on the wall mount make sure you mount to a proper stud.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-14-22, 04:53 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
I agree, about eye height or just below, the stand does allow for rotation of the bike so you could work height that way. BUT........

If you really want an adjustable height. I have a solution for you

If I recall properly, that wall plate is about 4-5" wide.
Mount it to a 20"x12" piece of 3/4 plywood and then mount the plywood to two vertical pieces of Superstrut (home depot) on 16" OC studs
The two pieces of strut must be plumb & parallel to allow the plywood to slide up or down and then secured by tightening the 3/8 bolts, washers & 3/8 spring nuts.(spring are cut off nuts to allow them to slide easier)
Holes thru plywood for 3/8 bolts should be 1/2" to allow some tolerance and wiggle room..3/8 bolts should be short enough to not bottom out on the base of the strut
Working height should be adjusted before mounting bike to work stand

Last edited by JoeTBM; 05-15-22 at 12:59 AM.
Likes For JoeTBM:
Old 05-14-22, 10:01 AM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Enkidu1

Thank You
Zack S
Just bought the Park wall mount using a wooden post in the garage and have the same question and so I'll be following the comments - am also 6 foot and don't want it too low because of back issues and being too high can make mounting the bike a challenge - and lifting the bike , holding it steady in the jaws , and then tightening the jaws isn't a cake walk for one person at any height .

And as it is with so many Park products , this stand is heavy duty and rugged - I started with 5/16 x 1" lag bolts ( 1/2 inch head ) but switched to 3/8 x 1 1/2 " with 9/16 inch head for more hold .
Old 05-14-22, 02:12 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
If it's of any help, my height is 178 cm and these are the dimensions of my DIY repair stand.
It's not too high in case I need to use the seat tube, while it's not too low in case I'm using a seatpost for holding the bike in the stand.

This works for me and I've never bothered to try and make it have an adjustable height.
Likes For Bike Gremlin: