Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Fenders for my 55mm x 700c tires ?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 06-05-22, 02:31 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts

I have 55mm 700c RH Antelope Hill tires and a (small bit of) clearance. Is this hopeless, or are their any fenders I can get that would work? (The frame is a Soma Saga Disc.)

[Yes, I know getting narrower tires is the correct answer, but I've now sunk a fair chunk of change and time into my beach cruiser blimps, including setting them up tubeless.]

Here is what I am dealing with.

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 06-06-22 at 12:37 PM. Reason: added photo
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-05-22, 02:41 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Do you really need fenders? I long ago decided that for me at least they were more trouble than they were worth even when there was plenty of room for them. Since it sounds like clearance is super tight it might be easier to make that same choice since they'd likely be hard to fit in a tight space and fussy about staying adjusted once they were installed.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 06-05-22, 02:42 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by staehpj1
Do you really need fenders? I long ago decided that for me at least they were more trouble than they were worth even when there was plenty of room for them. Since it sounds like clearance is super tight it might be easier to make that same choice since they'd likely be hard to fit in a tight space and fussy about staying adjusted once they were installed.
I definitely think they are more trouble than they are worth in CA, where usually it doesn't rain in the summer.

I remember the last time I got them (30 years ago) it was a major ordeal to install them.
Old 06-05-22, 02:43 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

If I do get them, this is what I would like, but the 55mm refers to their own width, not their clearance:

https://www.rei.com/product/195639/p...rs-700-x-55-mm
Old 06-05-22, 03:49 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts

While they are not full they do keep the crap off. If you find something non-custom please let me know
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 06-05-22, 05:07 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
I run 57mm tires in fenders that are 65mm wide. I do not think my fenders are sold any more, the ones I have are over 12 years old.

I have not used the SKS ones, but that is probably a good option.
https://www.sks-germany.com/en/produ...-65-black-set/

These do not include any flaps, if I want black flaps I use Folgers lids for plastic, it easily cuts with a scissors.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 06-05-22, 05:20 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Velo Orange makes a stylish 63mm fluted fender rated for tires upto 55mm width. I have installed a couple sets of the VO fenders, and have been very happy with the quality.

https://velo-orange.com/products/vo-...m-fenders-700c
Likes For SalsaShark:
Old 06-05-22, 05:57 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
I had this same question a couple of years ago and asked the builder, Bruce Gordon (RIP) and he was against the idea, firmly against. He claimed a stick will eventually get caught. I have a little toe overlap on the bike anyway, so, with laziness to help out, his advice prevailed. On the Erie Canal Towpath, and the GAP/C&O the mud was manageable. Actually, the panniers got dirtier from dust on dry days than the mud in a thunderstorm on the Erie and on the C&O the day after a heavy rain, the Potomac came up 11'. Of course, in the back of my mind I do think he was in California, then again, he started out in Eugene, Oregon.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 06-05-22, 06:46 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Yeah, I already have major toe overlap on this thing. Good point.
Old 06-05-22, 08:06 PM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
On my Surly Ogre, I’ve been very happy with my polished stainless steel Gilles Berthoud fenders.

A decade ago when I built up my bike their website was a little clunky but useable.

Ive not needed to go back to their site given my mud guards are still in good condition (albeit a little scratched in places from lots of use).

I did spot an alternative location for purchase only the other day when I was ordering some other cycle parts.
Im not familiar with the OP’s tires but I happily use Schwalbe Marathon Mondials 50 x 700c ( 2.00 x 622) with them on tour and Schwalbe Big Apples 60 x 700c (2.35 x 622) for recreation/commuting duty

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mudguard...f7f6ec&geoc=NZ

Last edited by rifraf; 06-05-22 at 08:19 PM.
Likes For rifraf:
Old 06-05-22, 08:15 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by rifraf
On my Surly Ogre, I’ve been very happy with my polished stainless steel Gilles Berthoud fenders.

A decade ago when I built up my bike their website was a little clunky but useable.

Ive not needed to go back to their site given my mud guards are still in good condition (albeit a little scratched in places from lots of use).

I did spot an alternative location for purchase only the other day when I was ordering some other cycle parts.
Im not familiar with the OP’s tires but I happily use Schwalbe Marathon Mondials 50 x 700c ( 2.00 x 622) with hen on tour and Schwalbe Big Apples 60 x 700c (2.35 x 622)

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mudguard...f7f6ec&geoc=NZ

Thanks for all of this. The tires are from one of the few vendors that sell Berthoud stuff in the US.
Old 06-05-22, 08:41 PM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Should have added

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Thanks for all of this. The tires are from one of the few vendors that sell Berthoud stuff in the US.
No worries.

https://extrawheel.com/categories/bicycle-trailers/

A tip might be, concerning trailers, especially Extrawheel trailers, fender un-drilled for rear frame seat-stay would be best given the factory drilling for the rear fender stay is too low for trailer vertical (up / down) articulation.

When I bought mine there was the purchase option for either /both fenders to be undrilled.
Not being aware of the issue of the need to allow for trailer articulations off-road, I opted for the pre-drilled pair of fenders, only having to move the move the fender stay on the rear one upward to allow for some up / down movement of the trailer once off the tarmac.

Without moving said fender stay, the trailer “forks”(?) would slam the fender stays whenever the trailer would need to climb over any lump in the trail-surface.

Hope this barely coherent rambling makes some sense.

There might no longer be the option of buying un-drilled so perhaps a non-issue.

Ive ended up with a pair of extra holes to fill on my rear fender and thought the info might save others, fussy like myself, wishing they’d known first

Last edited by rifraf; 06-05-22 at 08:44 PM.
Likes For rifraf:
Old 06-06-22, 04:48 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Regarding riding without fenders, for touring I prefer fenders. But I can't fit them in my S&S case when I fly somewhere so the fenders stay home. On this day I really wished I had my fenders.

On a different day on a different trip, a friend of mine asked me to take a photo of his bike. This was his last tour without fenders.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 06-06-22 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-06-22, 06:17 AM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
If your only destinations are the american SW, sure, forego fenders. For all the other places in north america, fenders keep you, your bike, your gear, cleaner. Unfortunately for touring, the new age 29er thing has been unconcerned with fenders and toe overlap.
Old 06-06-22, 07:22 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by IPassGas
I the new age 29er thing
Wut?
Old 06-06-22, 07:53 AM
Tourist in MSN

On toe overlap, half of my bikes are 700c, half are 26 inch. I do not have toe overlap on any 26 inch bikes, but all of my 700c bikes have toe overlap when I run fenders. Toe overlap is an inconvenience, but I have gotten used to it.

I mostly notice toe overlap when touring, as then when I start out, I accelerate slower with the additional weight on the bike and when going slower I make more steering adjustments. Without any touring gear on my bike, I almost never notice toe overlap. And going faster than jogging speed I never turn the handlebar enough for toe overlap to occur.

There however is one place where I notice the toe overlap, it is a sharp right hand turn, followed by a steep uphill. I have to approach the turn slowly because it is a sharp turn, and the turn is sharp enough for toe overlap to occur. And because of the steep hill I downshift into my lowest gear before I get to the turn, thus there is a shorter distance for each crank revolution. If I can only think of one location on all of the routes that I frequent near home where toe overlap consistently occurs, that pretty much means it is not much of a concern in the big picture.
Old 06-06-22, 08:15 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
I've installed a couple of SKS fenders, and one set of Velo-Orange metal fenders. Both of the SKS took me about an hour to install. The VO took more like 8-10 hours for me to get the pair on.

SKS: How does this fit? Not intuitively obvious, try it this way, that way, looks like it'll fit, put it all together, cut the stay, round it with a file. Repeat for the front. Done. Sweated it for an hour in the garage in the summer, go get a cool drink. Go for a ride.

VO: Take off wheels, temporarily install fenders, put wheel on -- oh, it doesn't fit, run the fender out on the stays, try again -- OK, take the wheel off, screw it in one attach point, but the wheel back on, how the #**&%! did the fender move that far? Lather, rinse, repeat. OK, mark the hole, drill it, remount fender, put wheel -- dang it, it doesn't fit! Take that bolt out, loosen the stays, put the wheel in, everything is locked in, mark and drill another hole, off with the wheel, off with the fender, drill the second hole (!), put it all on, crikey, the last time I cut the fender stay to miss the rack mounting bolt I cut it too short. Take the fender off, pull off the stay and replace it with the "front" stay, leave it long, put the fender back on with stay attached loosely, install the wheel, how long can I cut the stay and still clear the rack bolt? Cut the stay, tighten it down, it's rubbing against the tire, pull the stay out as far as I can, just barely fits around the wheel. It's now mid-afternoon. Order a replacement stay, ride with the old front fender until it breaks up (another 6 months) and try again.

Results: The VO looks nice and shiny, and the extra hole is hidden beneath the rack. Sort of. The SKS fender replaced by the VO lasted about 16 years, so the one on the spare bike should be good for another4-5 years, and I've got a spare SKS fender set waiting to replace that one if/when it breaks.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 06-06-22, 08:51 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I don't remember much about the fenders I installed in 1987, but I do remember it taking several hours while my touring partner watched, growing increasingly impatient. We wound up starting that day at around noon, and only making it about 45 miles as a consequence. I wound up having to make it up to him (and make up the time) for the rest of the week. I think it rained on us for 15 minutes, tops.
Old 06-06-22, 08:56 AM
Tourist in MSN

Pdlamb made a point that I should comment on when he said cut the stays.

Some of my fenders have been installed on more than one bike, I was happy when I installed them on a second or third bike that I had left some extra stay.

A friend of mine bought a new trike a couple years ago. I do not know if the dealer or manufacturer cut the stays on his rear fender, but they cut the stays so short that he could not fit a bigger tire.

The few times that I cut the stays, they needed to be cut for a reason.

Originally Posted by pdlamb
I've installed a couple of SKS fenders, and one set of Velo-Orange metal fenders. Both of the SKS took me about an hour to install. The VO took more like 8-10 hours for me to get the pair on.
Thanks, I need a good laugh. Unfortunate that it was at your expense in your description of fitting VO fenders.
Old 06-06-22, 12:28 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Thanks, I need a good laugh. Unfortunate that it was at your expense in your description of fitting VO fenders.
Yeah, I can tell the story now because it got funnier with age. The day I put the first one on, I think the only non-swear word I said until supper was, "Grrr."
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 06-08-22, 06:07 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Yeah, I already have major toe overlap on this thing. Good point.
Seems to me that you really don't have the room for fenders, going from the little I can see in side photo and your comment on toe overlap
My 26inch touring bike, surly troll, has the advantage of tons of room for up to 2.6 or 2.8 inch tires, but also for not having any toe strike even with my fenders set up with ample mud clearance space between tires and fenders.

My commuter with fenders and 700, and platform pedals has a bit of toe strike at times, but it doesn't cause a problem.
An old bike I had one with fenders had bad toe fender overlap and when it was brand new, within a block of the bike store, my foot hit the front fender, jamming it in the wheel and bending the fender into the front tire, folding the fender up, ruining it-- so do be wary, toe fender strike can be slightly annoying or can fold the fender under the wheel if fender is flexible enough.

Ps, I just put my 2inch ( 50mm) slicks back on my bike and use about 35 psi in them. Pressures slightly higher with loaded panniers.
I do only weigh 135.
Just watch pressures on these 55mm tires, over inflating defeats the purpose and ride experience.
What pressures are you trying, what is body weight?
Old 06-08-22, 06:15 AM
djb

I've used these for probably 15 + years on my old mountain bike, on rear only
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/4000-4...flector-Shield
I use two, one zip tied to rear rack, and another continuing down the seat tube, again zip tied
Is light, simple, super tough and flexible, keeps flung up stuff off my back, and seat tube one keeps crud off fd and chain a reasonable amount.

An easy and effective way to get some fender protection advantages without real fenders
​​​​​​Ain't pretty thoughIn the shot with orange panniers, you can see back one extending behind rack. Could have less sticking out, just stops having a muddy wet line up your back, and other one does help the fd area

Last edited by djb; 06-08-22 at 06:42 AM.
Likes For djb:
Old 06-08-22, 06:54 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Every bike I ride has the trivial inconvenience of toeclip overlap.

I've toured with and without fenders. Some are easier to remove and reinstall upon arrival by airplane. They are nice in rainy climates. I've also used a front clip on fender and my seat backpacking bag to keep much of the rain water off but for me or just gone without. I have a set of VO fenders, it took maybe 90 minutes to install. The SKS are quicker. I have a set of Hojo that still sit unused.....those will take forever to install. Arriving by plane and reinstalling fenders is no fun but sometimes worth it.
Old 06-08-22, 07:04 AM
djb

Re sks fenders, just be aware that you must trim the stays so that they fit perfectly into the attaching bits. These bits are enclosed, unlike other fender types where the stay protrudes through this mounting part.
Guess they do this for a cleaner look, but if you cut the stay too short, you can't make it longer again, if you put fatter tires on (not the case here I realize)

So I find putting my sks ones on more finicky, to not screw up basically
Old 06-08-22, 01:02 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Thanks for adding a picture of your ballooner tourer, @Polaris OBark.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.