Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Discovery Channel contacted us!

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-08, 04:59 PM
nancy sv
family on bikes

Bikes: which one?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've been debating on whether to say anything about this or not, but decided I couldn't keep it in or I'd explode... So - this morning I talked with the director of a bunch of TV shows for the Discovery Channel (including Jon & Kate Plus 8) and they are interested in doing a show (or maybe a series) about our upcoming journey. I'm not sure how they found our website, but yesterday I got an email asking me to contact them and today I talked withe the guy. I think I'm still in shock... me...nancy sv...I'm talking with the director of TV shows for Discovery Channel?? Huh???

And the most bizarre thing is that he has a wedding here in Boise next weekend so will be flying into town Thursday evening!! We will most likely get together on Friday to talk about it.

Anyway, that's my exciting news for today.
Old 01-18-08, 05:24 PM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
WOOT!

That's great news!

Break a leg.
Old 01-18-08, 06:48 PM
Losligato
VWVagabonds.com

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
THAT IS WONDERFUL NEWS!!!!!

The Discovery Channel! You guys are perfect. The moment I saw your website and the television interview I knew you deserved a wide following. You have a wonderful message that many of us need to hear.... life doesn't have to end the moment you reproduce. And, children thrive on adventure.

You guys are great! I can't wait to watch.

Get that book published!
Old 01-18-08, 08:14 PM
nancy sv
family on bikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks Rich!! I really think you are right - we do have a very unique message. I did an interview over the phone yesterday and one of the points I made is that you CAN live your dream. It's never too late.
Old 01-18-08, 11:03 PM
stevesurf
another cat...FAB!

Bikes: Merlin Ti Build, Trek Y-50, Bianchi Titanium Build, Custom Cuevas Road bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats and also nice job on the website; it's good that you have that to support the many inquiries you'll be getting! This is an excellent opportunity for cycling advocacy; don't forget to share your thoughts on what employers can do to help advocacy...
Old 01-18-08, 11:10 PM
nancy sv
family on bikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good point... I'm really not sure what we might be able to do - I'm sure they would pretty much take charge. Again - I don't know if this will pan out or not, but would be very exciting if it did!!
Old 01-19-08, 12:50 AM
knatchwa
Living Life On Two Wheels

Bikes: Giant Rincon 2007 Model - Black & Grey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is wonderful to hear. To be aware of the possibilities there. I will have to make sure and record that one. I may be relatively new to bike forums but I have found a wealth of information available. And to find your website it is a great example of getting it done. Bravo ... and enjoy the ride.
Old 01-19-08, 01:08 AM
HauntedMyst
Spandex free since 1963!

Bikes: Cannondale Road Warrior 900, Surly Big Dummy, Electra Townie

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is killer! Keep us updated!
Old 01-19-08, 08:23 AM
Gotte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great stuff. There are so few tv shows involving bikes, let alone touring. Hope it goes well.
Old 01-19-08, 09:07 AM
nancy sv
family on bikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm sure they would focus on the family aspect of it all, but that's OK. The idea that a family can take off and live dreams is a neat message - and the fact that we are doing it on bikes makes it all the neater!!
Old 01-19-08, 10:19 AM
eric von zipper

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Thorn Sherpa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's great. Hope it all works out for you guys.
Old 01-19-08, 10:55 AM
ronzorini
Leather and Canvas Fetish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I might be tempted to get cable just to see the show!
Old 01-19-08, 12:03 PM
foamy

Bikes: Trek 630 • Jamis Quest • Bilenky Tourlite and various others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To echo everyone else: What a great thing! I hope they go for it. Sincerely.

What I'm wondering is: How will having a camera crew follow you about affect your touring experience? Will it mitigate potential unpleasantness? Will it garner unwanted attention? How will it affect you and other people's interaction? Will your experience be essentially changed?

In any event, I wish you the very best of luck and as someone else said: Break a leg!
Old 01-19-08, 12:08 PM
nancy sv
family on bikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by foamy

What I'm wondering is: How will having a camera crew follow you about affect your touring experience? Will it mitigate potential unpleasantness? Will it garner unwanted attention? How will it affect you and other people's interaction? Will your experience be essentially changed?
Yes - it would change the experience considerably. And no - we would not want them around all the time. If we were to do just a one-hour special, I'm guessing they would just be with us a week or two - what's that out of 30 months?? If they did a series, I'm guessing they would meet up with us for a week or two every couple of months - again, more than we would like in a perfect world, but doable. We will not allow them to take over the trip and make it misery - nope. Not gonna happen!
Old 01-21-08, 03:24 AM
kipibenkipod
Got an old Peugeot

Bikes: I had a Trek 1200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nancy sv
I've been debating on whether to say anything about this or not, but decided I couldn't keep it in or I'd explode... So - this morning I talked with the director of a bunch of TV shows for the Discovery Channel (including Jon & Kate Plus 8) and they are interested in doing a show (or maybe a series) about our upcoming journey. I'm not sure how they found our website, but yesterday I got an email asking me to contact them and today I talked withe the guy. I think I'm still in shock... me...nancy sv...I'm talking with the director of TV shows for Discovery Channel?? Huh???

And the most bizarre thing is that he has a wedding here in Boise next weekend so will be flying into town Thursday evening!! We will most likely get together on Friday to talk about it.

Anyway, that's my exciting news for today.
Very good. Those channels have their book publishing company, so maybe you can do a big deal together.
Old 01-21-08, 10:39 AM
nancy sv
family on bikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It could open a lot of doors for us if it goes through. Of course - I don't know anthing at this point, but I'm chomping at the bit waiting!!
Old 01-21-08, 12:04 PM
NoReg
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Seem like JK+8 is always going somewhere like Disneyland just to create a storyline. A travelling familly should be perfect. There is always that artificial deadline on the other shows, like they have to complete a bike by... This way, every single day has a natural objective.

Better hope that donations button of yours is robust!

Titanium bikes for everyone! Your sponsorships are going through the roof.

Before this gets too public, better hope there isn't a cute little familly of 8 kids planing the same trip.

Last edited by NoReg; 01-21-08 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-21-08, 04:23 PM
nancy sv
family on bikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another production company just contacted us too!! We'll talk with them both and see what happens....

I really have no idea how all the TV stuff happens - I'm sure they have a much better idea of what kinds of deals we would make than I ever would! He did say that they don't pay for a one-hour special, but do pay for a series...

You crack me up about a family with 8 kids traveling around on bikes - now that I cannot even begin to imagine!!
Old 01-22-08, 11:52 AM
particleman42
pedal junkie

Bikes: Rivendell Romulus, Thorn Sherpa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really have no idea how all the TV stuff happens - I'm sure they have a much better idea of what kinds of deals we would make than I ever would! He did say that they don't pay for a one-hour special, but do pay for a series...
Keep in mind that whatever they offer you at first is the least amount they think you'll take and they will certainly take full advantage of the typical first reaction they get which is "wow, OMG yes please put me on tv I don't care if you pay me or not."

They are a business, they need/want your content to help them sell commercials and it is very silly for them to think that as a business they should be able to get the resources they need without having to pay anything for them. A bicycle company has to buy metal and pay workers to make components, a pie maker has to buy baking supplies and ovens, a tv production company should have to pay the people they exploit to make their product. If they don't want to pay you then maybe you could try to make them give some free commercial time to the Adventure Cycling Association and/or make a donation to them. Just remember that they are a business and their #1 motivation (and legal responsibility to their shareholders) is to make money.

You mentioned that another production company has contacted you, use that to your advantage. Tell them both that they are not the only ones interested in you and make them work for their pay.

And of course congratulations! I really hope it works out in a way that makes it worth the inconvenience to you and your family as well as working out for them so that I get to watch a show about bike touring!
Old 01-22-08, 01:18 PM
Veress Endre

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bikers to India

Hello, we are a Hungarian cycling team, who decided to travel across Asia by bike to India!
We are making a professional film about it also, which would be appear on web or tv weekly.
I read about your trip, and your connection with the Discovery Channel.
Lets talk about it, if you dont mind. We dont wants to steel your chance!

i would like to send our synopsis to you!
let me know your email address!

best regards

Boros Panna
panna.boros@gmail.com
Old 01-22-08, 07:22 PM
nancy sv
family on bikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE=Veress Endre;6028997]
I read about your trip, and your connection with the Discovery Channel.
Lets talk about it, if you dont mind. We dont wants to steel your chance!

i would like to send our synopsis to you!
QUOTE]

We really don't have a connection with Discovery!! All I know is that I got an email last week from a production company that works with Discovery and they are interested in our story. They really are more interested in the family aspect of our trip - not just a couple of people out biking around the world. I would be happy to talk, but be aware I don't know anything!! (familyonbikes at gmail dot com)
Old 01-22-08, 08:29 PM
stevesurf
another cat...FAB!

Bikes: Merlin Ti Build, Trek Y-50, Bianchi Titanium Build, Custom Cuevas Road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL...sounds like you folks are going to need an agent soon! Another idea just struck me...what if people could sponsor you by donating and going car free for a single sponsored day during your journey? Anyway, I hope that the chosen production company is able to help you with the funding for your journey...

We really don't have a connection with Discovery!! All I know is that I got an email last week from a production company that works with Discovery and they are interested in our story. They really are more interested in the family aspect of our trip - not just a couple of people out biking around the world. I would be happy to talk, but be aware I don't know anything!! (familyonbikes at gmail dot com)
Old 01-22-08, 08:45 PM
nancy sv
family on bikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's a GREAT idea!! I never thought of that. Brainstorm with me here - how could we set something like that up??
Old 01-22-08, 09:35 PM
stevesurf
another cat...FAB!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad you like that idea. Ahhh execution...the challenge. Here's a few additional ideas:

Contact a manufacturer of carbon fiber products (like Easton or Trek) to give carbon fiber "credits" in the form of a small accessory like a carbon bar end plug or reflector if someone were to donate. Proceed split goes to you and the manufacturer and everyone (700+ people) gets to reduce oil usage

Another form of recognition might be bike racks inscribed with the names of people that made the choice to go car-free for a day and donate. A manufacturer of bike racks could make sure they are located in a public place.

I know this may create more work for you, but it's a way to raise some much needed funds for your great effort!

That's a GREAT idea!! I never thought of that. Brainstorm with me here - how could we set something like that up??
Old 01-22-08, 09:41 PM
nancy sv
family on bikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for your ideas! We'll think on them for a while and see what works.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.