Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

At last Cervelo have a gravel bike

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 11-07-19, 12:06 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts

Cervelo have been resisting the gravel bike craze for a while, but they gave in and made the Aspero. It looks interesting for
touring as long as you don't need too many bosses. It can take 3 bottle cages, but there are no other mounts so it will have
to be for the rackless amongst us. The geometry gives it a long top tube so it should be used with a short stem.

https://www.cervelo.com/en_US/aspero
Old 11-07-19, 02:42 PM
BikeWonder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
Cervelo have been resisting the gravel bike craze for a while, but they gave in and made the Aspero. It looks interesting for
touring as long as you don't need too many bosses. It can take 3 bottle cages, but there are no other mounts so it will have
to be for the rackless amongst us. The geometry gives it a long top tube so it should be used with a short stem.

https://www.cervelo.com/en_US/aspero
It looks too nice to be ridden offroad or gravel.
Old 11-07-19, 03:15 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
Really like the color. The marketing blurb had me chuckling. They do have a sense of humor at that company.
Old 11-07-19, 11:20 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
$4K & no rack/fender eyelets unlike many CX bikes. My Haanjo EXP Carbon has front/rear rack + fender eyelets for half the price & allows a wider tire.
Likes For DropBarFan:
Old 11-08-19, 04:45 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
$4K & no rack/fender eyelets unlike many CX bikes. My Haanjo EXP Carbon has front/rear rack + fender eyelets for half the price & allows a wider tire.
If it does not have those;... really a shame.

I think they are focusing their effort on people using these bikes for 'gravel races' like Dirty Kanza, and not for people using them for bikepacking or touring.

Kind of dumb IMO... how much weight would it add to a frame to put some extra bosses on... a couple of grams here and there?
Likes For maartendc:
Old 11-08-19, 07:57 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
Cervelo clearly has aimed this at the racing crowd, the text and subtext of the marketing is super clear, for those who don't carry extra weight.... and that's ok, it's a racing bike, it just wouldn't be the right bike for this slow old guy.

Pretty simple, if they can sell enough of them, it will work. If not, it won't be around long.

Snazzy looking though.
Likes For djb:
Old 11-08-19, 08:05 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Directly from Cervelo themselves, "It’s time to change the paradigm of gravel bike design from hauling gear slowly to empowering athletes quickly. Leveraging vast knowledge from road racing, the Áspero frame is designed with world tour stiffness for greater pedal power transfer, using less and lighter material to aid climbing and accelerating, while maximizing speeds with aerodynamic shapes critical to efficiency at speed."

It's a race bike. Some people race. Some people also take $10k Madones on group rides to the microbrewery. So I think it has a market one way or the other.
Old 11-08-19, 12:42 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

The Aspero is not designed for racks or fenders, but there are set ups that don't need them. Part of the
reason I use a saddlebag and a handlebar bag is so I can use any bike and the Aspero would be cool
for that sort of set up...whatever Cervelo says in their marketing blurb. The Speciualized Diverge looks nice too.
Pretty much right for touring out of the box.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...=227314-154625
Old 11-08-19, 09:19 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I'd go with the Open UP or WI.DE hands down.. Vroomen left Cervelo (the company he founded) to form Open which is an extremely thought out gravel bike. It has been around almost 7 years and is on third generation of the frame now... I suspect he took the best gravel frame ideas with him when he left them to fend for themselves...
Old 11-08-19, 10:01 PM
DropBarFan

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Directly from Cervelo themselves, "It’s time to change the paradigm of gravel bike design from hauling gear slowly to empowering athletes quickly. Leveraging vast knowledge from road racing, the Áspero frame is designed with world tour stiffness for greater pedal power transfer, using less and lighter material to aid climbing and accelerating, while maximizing speeds with aerodynamic shapes critical to efficiency at speed."

It's a race bike. Some people race. Some people also take $10k Madones on group rides to the microbrewery. So I think it has a market one way or the other.
I don't know much about the gravel racing scene, had thought it was mostly adventurous types on thin budgets but maybe that perception is outdated. OTOH I think most buyers will be the middle-aged upscale fitness guys. I just don't get the conspicuous-consumption trend among casual bikers. An expensive bike has limited use as a status symbol unlike a fancy car or house that everyone can recognize.
Old 11-08-19, 10:15 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The conspicuous consumption by casual cyclists is what keeps the industry running.
Old 11-09-19, 01:01 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
I don't know much about the gravel racing scene, had thought it was mostly adventurous types on thin budgets but maybe that perception is outdated. OTOH I think most buyers will be the middle-aged upscale fitness guys. I just don't get the conspicuous-consumption trend among casual bikers. An expensive bike has limited use as a status symbol unlike a fancy car or house that everyone can recognize.
What isn't there to get? Conspicuous consumption has been a part of cycling since the very beginning.

People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-09-19, 06:22 PM
DropBarFan

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
What isn't there to get? Conspicuous consumption has been a part of cycling since the very beginning.

Good point, in the early days bikes were amazingly expensive; OTOH they made great status symbols since everyone knew they were expensive.
Likes For DropBarFan:
Old 11-09-19, 08:55 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
It's like I came into this thread halfway thru, yet I didnt.

This is the touring forum and a race gravel bike is being discussed and criticized for not being more like a touring bike?

So confused.
Old 11-10-19, 07:21 PM
DropBarFan

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
It's like I came into this thread halfway thru, yet I didnt.

This is the touring forum and a race gravel bike is being discussed and criticized for not being more like a touring bike?

So confused.
OK but what's the definition of a gravel racer? Gravel racing includes multi-day events with bike-packing gear which is basically a fast version of off-road touring. I suppose the Aspéro is aimed at riders doing the 1-day events though.
Old 11-10-19, 08:44 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
OK but what's the definition of a gravel racer? Gravel racing includes multi-day events with bike-packing gear which is basically a fast version of off-road touring. I suppose the Aspéro is aimed at riders doing the 1-day events though.
You asked and answered it well.

If a multi-day race is happening, then a frame that works for the needs of that type of race will be best.

If a single day race or just fast day rides are happening, then a frame that works for the needs of that type of race will be best.

Ripping on a frame design meant for one thing because it isn't meant to do the other is absurd.

More than if a frame has mounts for loaded touring though, is if the geometry works for the individual.
The stack, reach, trail, tube angles, and chainstay length in the largest size(what I know) screams go fast day rides.

There are no rack mounts front or even rear, if there are 2 bottle mounts, there arent 3by mounts on the fork- this is clearly not designed to be a multi-day gear carrying bike.

My initial post was 2 fold- asking why a gravel bike is being discussed here and why some in the thread criticize the bike for not being designed as a touring bike.
Both things confused me.
Old 11-11-19, 04:11 PM
nun

Originally Posted by mstateglfr

My initial post was 2 fold- asking why a gravel bike is being discussed here and why some in the thread criticize the bike for not being designed as a touring bike.
Both things confused me.
I'll put my hand up as the culprit for beginning this discussion.

I agree that criticizing something like the Aspero for not being like a regular touring bike misses the point...even if this is a touring forum.
The point is that it looks like another interesting bike for people who want some big tyre clearances and have set ups that don't need lots of places to attach stuff. It's just one to add to the list, but I think the Specialized Diverge is better value for money and being a bit more like a road bike is maybe better for lightweight road biased touring. I have my eye on the Diverge Sport, but I'll replace the carbon seat tube with an AL one and use a Cambium saddle and probably go with 32 mm Gatorskins. Other than that the stock bike looks good.

Last edited by nun; 11-11-19 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-11-19, 05:33 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
I'll put my hand up as the culprit for beginning this discussion.

I agree that criticizing something like the Aspero for not being like a regular touring bike misses the point...even if this is a touring forum.
The point is that it looks like another interesting bike for people who want some big tyre clearances and have set ups that don't need lots of places to attach stuff. It's just one to add to the list, but I think the Specialized Diverge is better value for money and being a bit more like a road bike is maybe better for lightweight road biased touring. I have my eye on the Diverge Sport, but I'll replace the carbon seat tube with an AL one and use a Cambium saddle and probably go with 32 mm Gatorskins. Other than that the stock bike looks good.
hey, all bike stuff is neat, even if it isnt fitting into a slot easily.

re the Cambium. I've been riding one for a couple of seasons now, and like it well enough. Didnt like it after I bought it, and do still find my B17's to be more comfortable for touring and day after day after day, but I have to say that I like it well enough now. I do use really good quality padded shorts, and its on my bike that I tend to ride harder and or stand up on more often, so I find it works quite well, for me that is....
In fact, I just took it off my "go somewhat fast" bike and put it on my winter bike that I rode today for the first time this season--we have surprise snow now, so out comes the old mtb and went with the C17 this winter on it.
Old 11-11-19, 09:09 PM
nun

Originally Posted by djb
hey, all bike stuff is neat, even if it isnt fitting into a slot easily.

re the Cambium. I've been riding one for a couple of seasons now, and like it well enough. Didnt like it after I bought it, and do still find my B17's to be more comfortable for touring and day after day after day, but I have to say that I like it well enough now. I do use really good quality padded shorts, and its on my bike that I tend to ride harder and or stand up on more often, so I find it works quite well, for me that is....
In fact, I just took it off my "go somewhat fast" bike and put it on my winter bike that I rode today for the first time this season--we have surprise snow now, so out comes the old mtb and went with the C17 this winter on it.
I currently ride a Brooks Swift mostly so I was thinking of C15 for a new bike. As far as padding I use padded underwear and this is the combo I used this summer and was very comfortable

https://www.vulpine.cc/catalog/produ...o3LCJwb3MiOjV9

https://www.groundeffect.co.nz/colle...y-cycle-shorts
Old 11-11-19, 10:21 PM
DropBarFan

Hmm I see that the Aspéro has a version that 'only' costs $2,800 which I admit is halfway reasonable for a premium bike. OTOH I'd prefer the Diverge: models start a bit higher at $3,375 but are quite more versatile. Nearly identical geometry as Aspéro so good for racing but include elastomer cushion in front & seat post plus rack & fender mounts.

Want maximum prestige? S-Works Diverges are $9-$10K but have gorgeous graphics plus the cool little storage case above the bottom bracket.
Old 11-12-19, 08:00 AM
nun

Hmm I see that the Aspéro has a version that 'only' costs $2,800 which I admit is halfway reasonable for a premium bike. OTOH I'd prefer the Diverge: models start a bit higher at $3,375 but are quite more versatile. Nearly identical geometry as Aspéro so good for racing but include elastomer cushion in front & seat post plus rack & fender mounts.

Want maximum prestige? S-Works Diverges are $9-$10K but have gorgeous graphics plus the cool little storage case above the bottom bracket.
I like the Sport Diverge as I think 105 is great value for money and I'll be swapping out the saddle and seat post anyway so no need for elastomer there.
You can get one for $2800 or less with year end deals. The Diverge also has a shorter top tube than the Aspero for a given size so I can do my usual set up
on a 56cmm model with a 56cm top tube....no need to fiddle with the stem.
Old 01-18-20, 11:45 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Came across this bento type box for the Aspero.. not evidently released just yet (couple more weeks). Hard to find any specs on any of the Cervelo bento style boxes (even on Cervelo's own site)... so can't even tell the size of the below. Certainly not going to get you packed for multiday rides tho'

Cervelo Smartpak 400A
Old 01-18-20, 12:05 PM
gerryl

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Finally a gravel bike I wouldn't be ashamed to be seen on. If they hike up the price a bit I might consider buying it.
Old 01-26-20, 05:27 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
It isn't designed to carry a lot, but I don't see why it wouldn't be suited just fine for those carrying UL gear or who otherwise go rackless (I confess that I don't understand rackless setups with 40-50# of stuff strapped on). I'd love to tour on one with a total gear load of 15# or so of camping and cooking gear. I am not likely to pony up the $$$ any time soon though.
Old 01-26-20, 03:02 PM
nun

Originally Posted by staehpj1
It isn't designed to carry a lot, but I don't see why it wouldn't be suited just fine for those carrying UL gear or who otherwise go rackless (I confess that I don't understand rackless setups with 40-50# of stuff strapped on). I'd love to tour on one with a total gear load of 15# or so of camping and cooking gear. I am not likely to pony up the $$$ any time soon though.
I bit the bullet and just got a Specialized Diverge Sport-less money than the Cervelo. I’m getting to grips with the disc brakes which I realize might not be the most convenient for long distance touring as far as maintenance is concerned, but we’ll see. I need to switch out the tires, seat post and saddle and get some decent pedals, but the future shock is nice. It will be neat to see it with an Ortlieb handlebar bag, Carradice saddlebag and Brooks saddle.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.