Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

LA to Chico - route suggestions?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-21, 10:10 AM
Antoine Zurfluh
Person

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello forum people!

On Monday l begin a tour from LA to Chico and I am looking for route ideas.
-I have about a week
-stay in hotels-I am prepared to ride 100+ mile days-I'm willing to take the Amtrak
Originally I was interested in riding the 49 up the east side of the valley but after a little research it sounds high traffic/small shoulder.

The coast looks like high headwinds and low temps.

The ACA route through the Sierras sounds nice but looks too roundabout for my timeframe.

Which leaves the central valley. I've toured it twice before and in the spring and fall I find it very nice and easy to tour (flat, easy to navigate, plenty of towns for resupply, etc.) This time of year though it's getting a little bleak.

I'm not trying to poo poo any of these routes. I will have a great time which ever way I go and there will always be challenges. I'm just looking for the nicest time.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-16-21, 06:05 PM
stevepusser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Antoine Zurfluh
Hello forum people!

On Monday l begin a tour from LA to Chico and I am looking for route ideas.
-I have about a week
-stay in hotels-I am prepared to ride 100+ mile days-I'm willing to take the Amtrak
Originally I was interested in riding the 49 up the east side of the valley but after a little research it sounds high traffic/small shoulder.

The coast looks like high headwinds and low temps.

The ACA route through the Sierras sounds nice but looks too roundabout for my timeframe.

Which leaves the central valley. I've toured it twice before and in the spring and fall I find it very nice and easy to tour (flat, easy to navigate, plenty of towns for resupply, etc.) This time of year though it's getting a little bleak.

I'm not trying to poo poo any of these routes. I will have a great time which ever way I go and there will always be challenges. I'm just looking for the nicest time.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
The only other feasible route I can think of is to head up the Owens Valley on 395, then your choice north up through Tahoe or Reno to Sierra Valley on 89, then west on 70 to the Central Valley. Much more scenic than up through the Central Valley, plus lots of public campgrounds.
Old 05-16-21, 08:40 PM
Antoine Zurfluh
Person

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the reply!

The 395 is beautiful and the temperature should be a little nicer. I'll take a look at the weather and decide. Tomorrow l get into LA and I'll ride up to Mojave. Then I can either cut over to Bakersfield or over to the East side (395).

Planning to ride Bouquet Canyon or possibly Soledad Canyon to get over the mountains. Sound reasonable? There seem to be a few options.
Old 05-16-21, 08:44 PM
RandomlyWest

Bikes: 2021 Batch Mountain Bicycle, 1989 Schwinn Impact, 2018 Micargi Avant, 1985 Asahi 790, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 2021 SE Lager

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
The Salinas Valley - which AMTRAK's Coast Starlight rolls through - may be another option. Very nice and mellow. If you're going northbound into the Salinas Valley through SLO/Paso Robles, leaving SLO County and reaching the valley floor in Monterey County can take a detour or two. When you are cycling northwest in the Salinas Valley toward Monterey Bay, afternoons can sometimes bring ferocious headwinds.