Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Grip shift to anything else for rockhopper build up

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-21, 06:54 AM
Chops717

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I just picked up a 90s specialized rockhopper that I’m going to be converting into a knock around city/gravel trail bike to take on some slower rides. First step is to get rid of the annoying twist grip shifters.

currently the bike has a set of 400 set ffs shifters, Shimano front and rear derailleurs. The shifters have tacky grips but seem to work just fine, but I’m looking at either converting to a drop bar sti set up or even a flat bar trigger. Wondering what the easiest way would be to do so.

Is a trigger easier to set up than an sti set up? Or will they both just be put the new cable in, adjust and then go.

also considering turning it into a 1x7 setup to simplify things and drop the front derailleur, so would something like a micro shift 1x7 drop bar shifter set up work for that or just a 7 speed shifter? I know i need to keep them shimano compatible but is there anything else i need to look for?

Thanks guys
Old 10-06-21, 07:33 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
What style of brake calipers? If cantis, you can use road levers. If linear, you shouldn't. That's remedied with new calipers, but it's an extra step. Cabling at the rear can get tricky depending on frame stops.

If you get combination trigger shifters with brake levers, be sure they're compatible with the brake calipers.

Road shifters are a little more work with cabling, and handlebar taping, but just a little.

You may have a compatibility issue with a road front shifter and a MTB front der--check that carefully or someone else here will know. The rear should be compatible across the board.

If there's a bike co-op open near you, that's a good source for salvaged parts, and advice.
Old 10-06-21, 07:41 AM
Chops717

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It’s got linear v brakes on it now, not cantis, so it may be MTB trigger shifters is the way to go right now, not opposed to keeping the flat bar setup it currently has so that might work out best/easiest/cheapest. I can always upgrade the brakes later but they seem to work fine now so no need at the moment.
Old 10-06-21, 07:42 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 440 Posts
These are probably what you want - they work great. You'll need new grips as well. These are the 3x7 versions.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...49VH4BIB&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...NSSH80LS&psc=1
Old 10-06-21, 09:28 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Swapping to trigger type shifters would be the cheapest and easiest thing to do. You'll reuse everything but the old shifters. I'd also replace the housing.
Old 10-06-21, 09:56 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Originally Posted by Chops717
It’s got linear v brakes on it now, not cantis, so it may be MTB trigger shifters is the way to go right now, not opposed to keeping the flat bar setup it currently has so that might work out best/easiest/cheapest. I can always upgrade the brakes later but they seem to work fine now so no need at the moment.
V Brakes simplify things.
IF you like combined shifter/brake, look at Shimano E-51's of E-65's. (or whatever the equivalent currently is)
Old 10-06-21, 10:24 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
If you don't have to have indexing and want cheap, reliable and easy set, a set of friction thumb shifters would work great

Old 10-06-21, 11:57 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
You can also do indexed thumb shifters if you like thumbies. Sunrace and Microshift currently make some that will work. You can use 8-speed thumb shifters with a 7-speed cassette...just use the L limit screw to keep the shifter from shifting the derailleur that final click.