Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Causes Of Corrosion And Rust Of E-bike

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-22, 02:35 AM
AOSTIRMOTOR
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Rust or corrosion can shorten the lifespan of many e-bikes. While rust is limited to iron or its alloys (like steel), corrosion affects all metals, even aluminum. Left unchecked, these enemies will cause the metal to degrade over time and eventually fail.

1. Ride on beaches, coastal areas, or areas treated with road salt or deicer. Doing so exposes your e-bike to very corrosive salts (or other chemicals). Contact with salt water or de-icing compounds can cause permanent and irreversible damage to electronic components.

2. Leave the e-bike outdoors for a long time or even in the rain. Moisture is a catalyst for rust or corrosion, so it is never a good idea to leave your e-bike outside where condensation, rain, or snow is likely to occur.

3. E-bikes that have not been cleaned for a long time. Dirt and sweat left on an e-bike for long periods of time can cause rust or corrosion. Sweat can erode the clear coat on the frame, and dirt can damage the drivetrain and suspension.
Old 01-13-22, 01:31 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12192 Post(s)
Liked 1,496 Times in 1,108 Posts
You can forget about most of that with an Alu frame.

Which I think is the best choice for most.I'm terrible about cleaning. Mostly I just don't do it.
Old 01-13-22, 02:59 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Cause of rust is using cheap chrome plated steel fasteners, plated steel handlebars. etc. These will rust overnight after a ride thru salt spray.

A nice bike has alloy seat posts, handlebars, steerer, steerer, rims, stainless spokes, hydraulic brakes, instead of steel cables. Sometimes, a steel frame works better on certain bikes,
Old 01-13-22, 07:02 PM
AOSTIRMOTOR
Banned.

Originally Posted by late
You can forget about most of that with an Alu frame.

Which I think is the best choice for most.I'm terrible about cleaning. Mostly I just don't do it.
Thank you very much for your reply. You are right, this is indeed a good option for most people.
Old 01-13-22, 07:09 PM
AOSTIRMOTOR
Banned.

Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
Cause of rust is using cheap chrome plated steel fasteners, plated steel handlebars. etc. These will rust overnight after a ride thru salt spray.

A nice bike has alloy seat posts, handlebars, steerer, steerer, rims, stainless spokes, hydraulic brakes, instead of steel cables. Sometimes, a steel frame works better on certain bikes,
Thank you very much for your reply. I agree with your point of view. Yes, the use of cheap chrome-plated steel fasteners, steel-plated handlebars, etc. is indeed one of the causes of rust, but corrosion is not limited to iron or its alloys
Old 01-20-22, 01:59 PM
Bike Tourist
Bike Tourist

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL4.0 EQ ST

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Aluminum frame, infrequent rainfall, living in California's Central Valley, high summertime heat. I'm not worried about corrosion. I do have to be a little protective of my own frame, however.
Likes For Bike Tourist:
Old 01-20-22, 07:19 PM
AOSTIRMOTOR
Banned.

Originally Posted by Bike Tourist
Aluminum frame, infrequent rainfall, living in California's Central Valley, high summertime heat. I'm not worried about corrosion. I do have to be a little protective of my own frame, however.
Thank you for your reply. This is a good choice.