Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage Kirtland Tour Pack Bracket Mount Instructions

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 04-09-22, 10:03 AM
LanceRides

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 3 Posts

Though I've had these bags since the 80's I've always found it tricky to install this bracket. Today I took some photos and wanted to publish. Here's a Google Site with the info.

https://sites.google.com/view/kirtland-tour-pack-instruction/home

Hope it helps someone out there, or at least, will help me next time I need to replace the bracket.

Lance
Likes For LanceRides:
Old 04-09-22, 10:22 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
Mine must be older. This looks like an improvement (not that mine was or is problematic). The leather channels are an improvement over my bag as well.
Old 04-09-22, 10:30 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,457 Posts
That’s interesting. I still have a few Cannondale bags that use a similar mount, but they rely on the weight of the bag and elastic “shock cords” that loop over hooks on the fork eyelets to hold it down

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-09-22, 07:07 PM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 398 Posts
I’ve had a yellow one of these which is the same with the leather channels and snap clips but no integrated mount bits, just the under/over bar black support. IIRC I bought it in 1979. Still works as new and I don’t recall every worrying about the shock cords. Shocking huh? Mine has been a very well designed and made bag. That product page brings back memories. Thanks.
Old 04-10-22, 12:30 PM
LanceRides

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 3 Posts
Hey! Happy to see so much interest in the bag! Thanks for looking and commenting.
These still turn up on ebay. Now if you win one, you'll know how the bracket goes together. ;-)

Lance
Old 04-11-22, 01:43 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
That's an improvement over my mid-1970s Kirtland Tour Pack bag, although the original mount was simpler. Mine had nylon fabric channels for the mount arms, and used Velcro to secure the back against the mount. It worked well enough for a lot of miles.

I continued to use that bag for another 20 years, mostly as a camera gadget bag and for my work related testing equipment for safety inspections. Very durable stuff. A few hems frayed here and there but could have been repaired easily enough.

My most memorable use of that Kirtland Tour Pack handlebar bag was on a 125 mile group event ride from Mexicali to San Felipe, around 1980-81. Pretty much all I carried was beer and drank it the whole way.

I tried to time my drinking so that I sweated off everything before I needed to urinate, because at the time the entire eastern coast of the Baja peninsula was desolate, flat, barren desert. Not even a tree or cactus to hide behind to pee. The only structures were makeshift shacks made from refrigerator crates, large cardboard boxes and pallets. I didn't want to be arrested in Mexico for public indecency or worse, so I tried to hold it. But eventually I needed to pee. I stopped at a rustic log cabin general store and tried in my best/worst pidgin Spanish to ask where the bathroom was. I think I just regurgitated the words I'd seen on men's rooms in Mexican restaurants and assumed that would get the hint across. It didn't. The owner looked totally baffled and pointed out back. I looked and saw horses in a corral.

An Englishwoman on the same cycling trip asked in a plummy accent: "What were you trying to ask the man?"

I told her.

"Well, you just asked him where he keeps his horses. Try saying this instead."

I repeated the phrase she suggested.

The puzzled man again pointed out back. I looked at the Englishwoman.

"That's also where his bathroom is." (Pronouncing it baaahhhthroom.)

So I peed next to the horses.