Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

SL-6208 broken teeth - how many is too many?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-22, 03:39 PM
Steel1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 55 Posts

One of my bikes has Shimano 600 SL6208 6 speed downtube shifters. It was not very crisp and sometimes ghost shifted, so I decided to clean. I half expected to open and find some broken teeth, as in other posts. Well, besides being dirty, everything looked ok. So I proceed to clean & lube. Don’t ya know, I break one of the teeth just wiping with rag! Very flimsy.
Anyway, I put back together. Much more crisp. Overall better than before. One of the gear indexes seems weak, not sure if it related to the missing tooth.
Anyway, my question is, how many broken teeth before things really go south? Seems like 1 tooth is still ok.
Image is pre-break 😟
Thanks!

Old 04-16-22, 06:27 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
Start looking for some 1050 shifters or think about going 7 speed 600 shifters.
Old 04-16-22, 07:03 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
This.
Old 04-16-22, 08:00 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
You should be OK until you get down to three teeth.
Agree that it would be wise to look at other Shimano 6 speed shifters, as these are the only ones with this issue.
Sadly, once they start to go, they go quickly.
Old 04-17-22, 11:18 AM
Steel1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 55 Posts
Thank you for the responses. Only a few baby hills on my commute route, so even if it fails won’t be a big deal. Its currently more of an annoyance, and ghost shift may have been fixed with cleaning. Will get a back-up part lined up to replace when/if it gets bad.
I could always go back to friction, which was original on this bike, PO must have “upgraded” to 600. I do admit the indexing is convenient in commuter application 😀
Old 04-17-22, 11:36 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,897 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel1
Thank you for the responses. Only a few baby hills on my commute route, so even if it fails won’t be a big deal. Its currently more of an annoyance, and ghost shift may have been fixed with cleaning. Will get a back-up part lined up to replace when/if it gets bad.
I could always go back to friction, which was original on this bike, PO must have “upgraded” to 600. I do admit the indexing is convenient in commuter application 😀
This is what was done to the 1985 Centurion Ironman I got last year. It originally came with all 6207, but somewhere in the last 37 years, somebody had replaced the shifters and RD with 6208. When I took the shifters apart for cleaning, ALL the tabs were broken off. It still indexed, but not all that well, and it wouldn't stay in the largest cog. I was able to find a full 6207 shifter kit on Ebay, so I converted it back to friction. It's still got the 6208 RD, which has the "Centeron" upper pulley wheel, which allows a little 'slop' in the shifting, which works well with indexing but with friction sometimes allows you to think you've got the lever in the right place but under load it skips a bit.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-17-22, 07:05 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
What is this original bike with the friction 600? Some friction shifter bosses needed mods to accept indexing levers.
Old 04-18-22, 01:56 PM
sbrudno

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Motobecane Super Mirage (3x5 speeds), Motobecane Mirage, Atala (unknown model), Peugeot mixte frame Tourist and Schwinn Sport. A bunch more kids bikes. Most recently a Trek Verve One, tricked up for serious touring.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 29 Posts
One tooth, 20% increase in torque: two teeth, 40% = too much for the materials.