Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Recommend a Neck Rest?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Recommend a Neck Rest?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-22, 04:11 PM
newbert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Recommend a Neck Rest?

I have a Catrike Villager equipped with a Catrike head/neck rest. Unfortunately the geometry of the support for this neck rest is prevented from being moved far enough forward to do me any good. That's because I have an e-bike battery in the rack which limits the fore/aft positioning of the head rest's support. In addition, my seat is angled pretty far back (almost max) I have a significant upper back "slouch" and I wear a helmet when riding. All of this prevents my head or neck from ever making contact with the Catrike neck rest.

So I probably need something either with a really thick pad and/or maximum adjustability fore and aft.

Can someone suggest a head/neck rest (and source)that might fill my needs better than the Catrike Model??

Thanks!
Bert
Old 07-01-22, 05:53 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
See if you can find a way to mount the Terratrike - it adjusts on 4 planes so you for sure could get it comfortable. TerraTrike Neck Rest — Hostel Shoppe
Old 07-02-22, 08:31 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
There was a company called Finer Recliner that was sold to TerraCycle a while back. The original owner designed headrests for various trike brands including Catrike. They got pretty good reviews on Bentrideronline. They weren;t cheap even when I bought my 2013 Catrike 700 but now are $$$. I tried ordering one back then but the order got lost and never filled. I decided not to re-order since my headrest works for me. They sell this version for Catrike at $95 but it uses the old hardware so might not work for you https://t-cycle.com/collections/fine...rsion-neckrest. This one is in stock but most of their products are out-of-stock.
Old 07-02-22, 01:58 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Post some detailed photos of the head/neck rest. I'll bet that myself or some other mechanically minded BF'ers could figure out how to either raise the neck pad mounting and/or thicken the pad itself, so that you don't have to invest in a new rest. Maybe find a local trike ride and show your trike to local enthusiasts. You'll be sorted in no time.
Old 07-03-22, 06:30 AM
newbert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Post some detailed photos of the head/neck rest. I'll bet that myself or some other mechanically minded BF'ers could figure out how to either raise the neck pad mounting and/or thicken the pad itself, so that you don't have to invest in a new rest. Maybe find a local trike ride and show your trike to local enthusiasts. You'll be sorted in no time.
Thanks for all of your suggestions, guys. I spent some significant time yesterday playing with all the adjustments and I THINK that I've got things sorted out now. (I'll test it out later today on an extended ride.)

Thanks again!
Old 07-06-22, 07:44 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
The guy who ran FinerRecliner died, and for a few years at least his family wasn't aware that the website was still accepting orders and money. If Terracycles took over the design, I'd see that as a Good Thing(tm), but make sure you don't order anything from the old site.
Old 07-07-22, 08:24 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
The guy who ran FinerRecliner died, and for a few years at least his family wasn't aware that the website was still accepting orders and money. If Terracycles took over the design, I'd see that as a Good Thing(tm), but make sure you don't order anything from the old site.
You are thinking of ADEM ( not Finer Recliner).
Old 07-07-22, 08:40 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I think of Don everytime I am stopped at a red light, only met him twice and raced once with him.

WRT to headrests, just wanted to share that a foam swimmy or water pipe insulating foam can be cut and attached to most neck rests. I found that the support to the head was not enough and the foam resting to my cervical neck area gave a lot of comfort. I tried a couple different head rests, sticking with the stock M5 one eventually
Old 07-07-22, 12:13 PM
linberl

As long as you're discussing neck rests, has anyone ideas for a short person? My helmet bottom just clears the top of the seat; I'd like something the would maybe slip over the top of the seat otherwise it'll be too high and just push my head forward. At 5'4" I'm finding recumbent seats and accessories are not made for "shorties".
Old 07-07-22, 01:17 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
As long as you're discussing neck rests, has anyone ideas for a short person? My helmet bottom just clears the top of the seat; I'd like something the would maybe slip over the top of the seat otherwise it'll be too high and just push my head forward. At 5'4" I'm finding recumbent seats and accessories are not made for "shorties".
Hmm. Looking at pictures of your trike. Minimum seat angle is 42* ... that's kind of high. You might be better served just learning to live without a head/neck rest? That's what I would do. As you know, they offer a neck roller for that seat but it won't go lower than the top of the seat back. Maybe you can velcro something foam and 3" or so in diameter and wide enough (look at pictures) at the height of your neck? You'd want it an inch or two lower than the top of the seat. Velcro tape is cheap and readily available and if you used multiple pieces you could make it adjustable for your comfort. .
Old 07-07-22, 01:28 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Hmm. Looking at pictures of your trike. Minimum seat angle is 42* ... that's kind of high. You might be better served just learning to live without a head/neck rest? That's what I would do. As you know, they offer a neck roller for that seat but it won't go lower than the top of the seat back. Maybe you can velcro something foam and 3" or so in diameter and wide enough (look at pictures) at the height of your neck? You'd want it an inch or two lower than the top of the seat. Velcro tape is cheap and readily available and if you used multiple pieces you could make it adjustable for your comfort. .
Yeah, the trident neck rest wouldn't work for me at all. Someone mentioned pool noodles, and I'm thinking maybe I can run a cord through one and over the seat a few inches from the top. I'd have to secure it on the back side so it doesn't slip, but I can rig that somehow. Not exactly an elegant solution (which I was hoping for) but funcitonal.
Old 07-07-22, 01:30 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Steamer
You are thinking of ADEM ( not Finer Recliner).
Now that you mention it, I think I was. Thanks for the correction.