Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

New book series: "Bicycling America's National Parks"

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-08, 08:12 AM
becnal
I'm made of earth!

Bikes: KTM Macina 5 e-bike, Babboe Curve-E cargobike, Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is anyone familiar with this new book series? There seems to be 4 different editions: California, Arizona/New Mexico, Oregon/ Washington and Utah/Colorado. Has anyone used one, or seen these books? How do you rate them? I'd love to bicycle to see the different national parks one day, especially in Cali or Arizona/NM.
Old 01-25-08, 04:13 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
They sound interesting. I hope someone will report on them.
Old 01-26-08, 01:35 AM
ronzorini
Leather and Canvas Fetish

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by becnal
Is anyone familiar with this new book series? There seems to be 4 different editions: California, Arizona/New Mexico, Oregon/ Washington and Utah/Colorado. Has anyone used one, or seen these books? How do you rate them? I'd love to bicycle to see the different national parks one day, especially in Cali or Arizona/NM.
I have the California edition, published in 2000.

Most of the routes are road and mtb day trip loops, averaging 5 to 30 miles.

Truthfully, I haven't used the book much. It really isn't geared towards long distance bike tourists who would pass through one end of the park to the other. However, if you're going to car camp in a National Park and use your bike for shorter day rides, it would be a good reference.

Your idea about visiting different National Parks sounds similar to a trip I once did...a loop tour from Los Angeles to Canada and back down to LA. We routed the trip to hit as many National Parks as we could...It was a great idea, but it took us over what seemed to be every mountain pass in the Sierras and Cascades
Old 01-28-08, 04:05 AM
becnal
I'm made of earth!

Bikes: KTM Macina 5 e-bike, Babboe Curve-E cargobike, Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ronzorini
Most of the routes are road and mtb day trip loops, averaging 5 to 30 miles. Truthfully, I haven't used the book much. It really isn't geared towards long distance bike tourists who would pass through one end of the park to the other.
Ah, pity. I was hoping it would be.