Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Map My Ride is a horrible calorie counter. Any better apps?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-21, 07:04 PM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts

My issue is not that MPR overestimates calories. My issue is that it’s wacky. It will say I burned 800 calories. And then I’ll go up a steep hill and after 40 minutes my calories go down to like 600 from 800. I thought that maybe it was trying to readjust for its overestimation to even it out. But anytime I go to certain spots, the calories start changing and getting wacky.

I don’t know why this happens. I’d like an app that just gives me an estimate, not one that jumps around unnaturally.
Old 05-15-21, 07:39 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,906 Posts
WAHOO estimates without "prerecalculating" its second guesstimate output number. Most *public cal counters will err with a higher number causing false hopes. It's a liability thing. Guess it's safer to be obese with teh diabeeeetuss than not, since you can always sell test equipment.
Old 05-15-21, 08:22 PM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
WAHOO estimates without "prerecalculating" its second guesstimate output number. Most *public cal counters will err with a higher number causing false hopes. It's a liability thing. Guess it's safer to be obese with teh diabeeeetuss than not, since you can always sell test equipment.
Does Wahoo require a heart rate monitor?
Old 05-15-21, 08:25 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,906 Posts
99% sure all modern wahoo devices do.
Old 05-16-21, 06:41 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Calorie counting is irrelevant and unimportant... Just enjoy your ride and don't worry how many calories you burn.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 05-16-21, 07:49 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Depends on your rides. Take this article about what it takes to maintain nutrition for the Tour de France.

Of course, not everyone is a pro rider, but there are many riders who pretend to be pro riders. It's time for actors to "get out of character" and face the reality of their situation -- same with riders.

“Three weeks, 21 stages, 3,351km, 176 cyclists and a combined burn of 25 million calories — so what exactly goes into fueling the riders of the Tour de France? | Words by Laura Tilt”

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...-france-182775
Old 05-16-21, 08:10 AM
Melvang

Bikes: Kona Roast, Cannondale R500 CAAD4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts
The only way to accurate way to measure calorie usage is to calculate it based on power meter readings. Anything else is an estimated guess at best.
Likes For Melvang:
Old 05-16-21, 08:29 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3414 Post(s)
Liked 3,542 Times in 1,782 Posts
None of these GPS phone apps have much data to perform a Calorie burn estimate. No heart rate, no power, just a moving blip on a map.

I use a Garmin 830 with the Garmin Connect app and a heart rate monitor, and the calorie readings seem quite reasonable.

From Garmin Connect site:

[Y]our calories burned are calculated using a formula that takes into account several factors, including effort during activity and other information available from your Garmin devices. This may include FTP, weight, distance traveled, speed, elevation gain, temperature, heart rate and other variables.
Sounds sufficiently vague.

The most accurate way to measure calorie burn is with a power meter.

Here's the Garmin Connect readout from a recent ride I did with a power meter:

Moving time: 1:27
Avg temperature: 73.4 ºF
Avg speed: 16.6 mph
Avg heart rate: 135 bpm
Avg power: 170 W
Work: 791 kJ
Calories burned: 791 C

That's a burn rate of 546 Calories per hour. Seems quite reasonable.

Compare that to a similar ride without a power meter:

Moving time: 1:08
Avg temperature: 78.8 ºF
Avg speed: 17.0 mph
Avg heart rate: 135 bpm
Calories burned: 681 C

That's a burn rate of 601 Calories per hour. Maybe a bit high, but not crazy different than the power meter results.

Old 05-16-21, 08:34 AM
Pinelander
Roadie

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Interesting article. All that bulk has to go somewhere. It made me wonder about the toileting accommodations and how they handle that.
Old 05-16-21, 08:34 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Without a power meter, they are all guesses and bad ones at that.

I typically average 25 cals/mile
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 05-16-21, 10:57 AM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
I've never found a calorie estimator that wasn't ludicrous. Even using a HR monitor is likely to be wrong but it's likely to be consistently wrong in the same direction. I have a a power meter and calorie estimates from my HR strap are about 25% too high.
Old 05-16-21, 10:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
When you get the diabetus make sure to buy all your diabetus testing supplies from Liberty Medical. You can bet your bottom dollar Wilfred Brimley didn't need no calorie counter and he was 85!
Old 05-18-21, 04:11 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
I have had a few friends on Strava make comments on my rides saying the calories seem really high. OK, I hadn't noticed because I never pay attention to them. I couldn't even guess a number that would be close to what the number is on a ride.

I have to look really hard to find the calories on the info. I didn't even realize it was there over the last ten years till my friend mentioned it a month ago.

4000+, I would have no idea if it is even close to close or way over. And I still won't pay attention unless I read it in a thread.

Does Strava calculate according to weight? Maybe my friends say it is high because I have my weight set on Strava and I do weigh about 70 pounds more than all my friends.

Same with the power on Strava, way off? I don't use a meter but compared to all my friends, I'm a 75 pound weakling.

windy that day

Last edited by growlerdinky; 05-18-21 at 04:23 PM. Reason: was "UCantTouchThiz" taken? :) :) :)
Old 05-18-21, 04:31 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Disclaimer I am not a scientist but I've read stuff on the internet so basically the same.

Estimates without power data are just based on formulas based on age/weight/gender/time and for whatever reason are always high. (Btw Wahoo will work without a HRM it just spits an estimate at you though.)

Power meter numbers are also based on an estimate but it's much more accurate and the difference between power input at the power meter and actual calories burned is such a small number that it's effectively insignificant and the only way to truly measure calories burned is in a lab with a whole bunch of crap hooked up to you.

When I started riding a smart trainer in the winter that had actual power numbers I got a good idea of what I'm burning in an hour -- about 600 calories per hour, but 700 for a really, really hard workout. What I've noticed when I compare that to the estimates when I ride without power data is that they're usually about 2x as high as my actual averages. If I'm counting calories I take that into consideration. (But I don't count calories any more because it's depressing.)
Likes For ksryder:
Old 05-18-21, 08:29 PM
guachi

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Yeah. That calorie estimate is way off. It implies a power output of 400+ watts for 2.5 hours. The estimated power is closer, though if it were me riding it would be slightly too low. Maybe 1600 calories?
Old 05-19-21, 05:22 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 392 Times in 232 Posts
Here is the formula that Wahoo uses: https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/...o-Fitness-App-

So today, 75 miles, average heart rate 118. I weigh 145lbs and am 65 years old. All of that comes out to 31352 calories (actually Kcal for us nerds) which by my research comes out to about 20 beers. The new metric being BPR (Beers per Ride). I traded some of that for burgers and fries.
Likes For bblair:
Old 05-19-21, 05:57 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Don't use Calories to estimate Power. The numbers your device is trying to give you for Calories is just for dietary purposes and subject to large variables and frequently any one ride won't be correct. Especially if you compare it to the number another device came up with or the device of someone else.

If you are only using that number for dietary purposes, then just worry about the final number after the ride is over. Don't compare to anything else. Over the course of many rides it'll be way more accurate than the number of Calories you recorded as what you ate.

If you are wanting a number for Power, then get a power meter. Then you'll have something that can give you a more reasonably accurate number for Power and Calories burned.
Old 05-20-21, 02:18 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
It's always windy out here! But I did not complain because then I would feel like you when you were stressed out about your bad crank only to see the one legged man enjoying his ride.

i know you can relate. You kept your head up after you forgot your tool bag. Then your chain fell off about 3 miles in! you got stuck and had to force it out, then bent a chain link so had a skip like every 15 seconds. You almost turned back but went for it hoping you wouldn't flat with no tools or spare. But you got a ride and in and got to test the new Xoss gps thingie!

that right there is what they call "TRIUMPH OF THE HUMAN SPIRIT"

Or should I say "ZPIRIT" You know, in case "SPIRIT" is taken?

Keep the rubber side down, man.

Likes For growlerdinky:
Old 05-21-21, 05:36 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
I have had a few friends on Strava make comments on my rides saying the calories seem really high. OK, I hadn't noticed because I never pay attention to them. I couldn't even guess a number that would be close to what the number is on a ride.

I have to look really hard to find the calories on the info. I didn't even realize it was there over the last ten years till my friend mentioned it a month ago.

4000+, I would have no idea if it is even close to close or way over. And I still won't pay attention unless I read it in a thread.

Does Strava calculate according to weight? Maybe my friends say it is high because I have my weight set on Strava and I do weigh about 70 pounds more than all my friends.

Same with the power on Strava, way off? I don't use a meter but compared to all my friends, I'm a 75 pound weakling.

Yeah, with a powermeter, basically Strava seems to always show me almost the same number of calories as the Energy Output value (kilojoules)
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 05-21-21, 06:55 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Yeah, with a powermeter, basically Strava seems to always show me almost the same number of calories as the Energy Output value (kilojoules)
There's a reason for that. 4.184 kJ/Cal (from memory) and 25% average human body efficiency. Do the math (4.184/4) and they're identical to within 5%, which is probably as accurate as the 25% number is.
Old 05-21-21, 07:02 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
There's a reason for that. 4.184 kJ/Cal (from memory) and 25% average human body efficiency. Do the math (4.184/4) and they're identical to within 5%, which is probably as accurate as the 25% number is.
Makes sense that there's a correlation, but then it's a head scratcher why Strava supplies UCantTouch with numbers so disparate from one another. It's like it's using completely different methods of estimating total work and calories.
Old 05-21-21, 08:02 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
don't believe any device can show calories burned accurately. Too many variables involved

my Garmin always over estimates in my opinion
Old 05-21-21, 08:57 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
It's always windy out here! But I did not complain because then I would feel like you when you were stressed out about your bad crank only to see the one legged man enjoying his ride.
Did I miss the sarcasm? Many years ago I would ride from Newport Island up to Long Beach and back. Always more than 3.1 MPH.

Here are the numbers for last Tuesday's ride. That is windy.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date | Time(cdt) | Wind(mph) | Vis.(mi.) | Weather
18 | 18:53 | S 21 G 40 | 10.00 | A Few Clouds and Breezy
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rider weight is about 240 pounds. Ride distance was 22.7 miles, out and back. Maximum speed was 32 MPH, Average speed was 15 MPH (yeah, riding into 40 MPH gusts is hard). Heart rate range 120-144. Calories according to Wahoo: 1164. Correct or not I can't say, but the count is consistent and does seem to reflect effort.

Last edited by DangerousDanR; 05-21-21 at 09:05 AM. Reason: addition
Old 05-21-21, 11:14 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
Ride more, eat more. Ride less eat less. num num num. After that, the measurements are just quantitative guestimation. Value can come from two places: first, as a relative measure of weekly work when compared to dietary intake and weigh-ins. Over enough time, one can understand how much riding is needed to offset general dietary intake specific to your own metabolism. Second, as a data-point in understanding your body's response to bigger rides versus intake (ate 1200 kcal yesterday, rode 80 miles today, now can't get off floor). Totally agree with posters above that power-meter input greatly improves the quality of these apps estimation (if app supports it, of course). But, even without that incremental precision, long data sets can give intuitive perspective. Most important, I think, is that most people need to generate a 500 kcal/day deficit to lose 1lb/week. I used to play with all those numbers, it can be interesting. Now I just look at whether my jeans are too tight or two loose - gives me the same message.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.