Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bikes at organized events, bike envy?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-23-22, 01:47 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts

Hello all,

I recently partook in an organized cycling event here in Belgium, and it struck me how nice and new everyones bikes were. Not a race, just an event for amateurs.

My bike is 12 years old, and it feels like it was by far one of the oldest bikes there. It really seems like everyone went out and bought a new bike last week or something crazy like that. I saw a lot of new Canyons, Pinarellos, Williers, Ridleys, etc. Mostly carbon. judging from the models and paintwork most of them were less than 3 yrs old.

I consider my bike pretty nice, but among all this new bling, almost felt inadequate, even though I know it is not.

Do you notice the same when you go out and partake in events? Do most people ride bikes 3 yrs old or newer? I thought this was striking.

I guess you could also look at it differently and take an older bike as a badge of honor and testament you are not 'new to the sport'.

Cheers!
Old 04-23-22, 03:25 AM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
It doesn't matter how new your bike is, it only matters how cool you are riding it.
Old 04-23-22, 05:30 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,272 Times in 7,224 Posts
No.
I don’t think so.
Old 04-23-22, 05:48 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
I don't care what others ride and don't wish I had what they have.
This is mostly because I like the tactile feel of mechanical shifting and I like the look of steel frames.
They do their thing and I will do mine.
Old 04-23-22, 05:50 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Likes For seypat:
Old 04-23-22, 07:00 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
Having an old bike is a flex. Everyone nowadays seems to be on fancy carbon bikes. Keep up on your old school bike and people will take notice
Old 04-23-22, 10:00 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,595 Times in 5,942 Posts
Some folks have more money and/or different priorities. I've long since reached the point where I know I'll never own a $10,000 bike, just as I'll never own a $100,000 car. I'm okay with that. Sure I kinda envy the guys with the latest 12 speed, electronic shifting, flyweight frame with carbon wheels. I'm glad those bikes exist, because they demonstrate a combination of passion for excellence and the continuing push of progress. They're combination of art and engineering, the current pinnacle of what a bike can be.

But I'm still happy to throw a leg over a 40 year old, 21lb steel bike, and take it out and use it to the limits of my meager abilities. Yes, my 2 year old CF bike continues to be faster than any of my older bikes, on the same routes. Consistently. But it's not leaving the others for dead. If it was A Good Bike 40 years ago, and it's performing at that level, it's still A Good Bike. I don't ride old bikes to "flex", though I will admit that it feels kind of good being an old fat guy on a 40 year old bike passing younger riders on fancy new bikes, but that's not why I ride the old bikes.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-23-22, 11:12 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I don't care what others ride and don't wish I had what they have.
This is mostly because I like the tactile feel of mechanical shifting and I like the look of steel frames.
They do their thing and I will do mine.
​​​​​​I won't go back from Di2, but I do miss the feel of direct connection from a good mech setup. They're both a joy to use, in different ways.

To answer the OP, I ride a bike that makes me happy. I don't even want a different bike (except a MTB) because I like the way this one rides.
Old 04-23-22, 11:12 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,272 Times in 7,224 Posts
Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
It doesn't matter how new your bike is, it only matters how cool you are riding it.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-23-22, 11:26 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Occasional admiration, but not envy.
Old 04-23-22, 11:42 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
I tend to notice the 40+ year old bikes or the very new bikes when at such events. Nothing spectacular about the middle years for bicycles. Though I don't particularly think less or more of any no matter what they ride. I'm just admiring the bike.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-23-22, 11:46 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Still get admiring comments and envy over wanting a Ti bike on my 15 yo Lynsky during sportives. Beautiful thing about Ti is the finish looks as good as the day I bought it.

Although I do give her a bath and polisher her up before big events.
Old 04-23-22, 03:15 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Having an old bike is a flex.
...or it's just riding what you enjoy.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-23-22, 04:21 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,595 Times in 5,942 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
Still get admiring comments and envy over wanting a Ti bike on my 15 yo Lynsky during sportives. Beautiful thing about Ti is the finish looks as good as the day I bought it.

Although I do give her a bath and polisher her up before big events.
The bike in my collection that is most likely to elicit comments and compliments is a 30 year old frame with 16 year old components. I think mostly because it's red, with bright alloy kit and white saddle and bar tape. Makes it stand out.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-23-22, 04:36 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
I have noticed that a lot of people ride newer bikes than mine. The bike I usually ride on longish charity rides is a 2008 Ciocc with a good group set and wheels. It has tens of thousands of miles on it and looks dated next to the latest and greatest, but it still rides as well as ever. Any time I think of replacing it I’m put off by how much it would cost to buy anything noticeably better.
Old 04-23-22, 06:37 PM
Joearch

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts
I did a group ride in WLA today that had about 20 riders. I have a pretty nice Bianchi Infinito CV in good condition and it seemed like I had the worst bike of the group. I do really enjoy my ride and mostly wondered why 95% of the bikes were matte black? Of course I’m rolling with the Celeste.
Old 04-23-22, 09:59 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
I always find myself looking at simple yet well thought out tandems. Never paid much attention at the other stuff to get any feeling of where I may be placed.
if you're wearing some loud socks, I'll likely notice that too.
Old 04-23-22, 11:00 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
I like looking at other bikes but I care more about how a bike fits and rides. If I was going to get a new road bike I would research it first to see of it would work so it would be pointless to lust after someone's bike just because I liked the way it looked.

Besides, whatever bike you have you can let your legs do the talking.
Old 04-23-22, 11:33 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by DonkeyShow

Likes For qwaalodge:
Old 04-24-22, 04:06 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
What you ride compared to what someone else rides doesn't make YOU inadequate. If you're happy riding your bike be happy riding your bike. If you want a new bike buy a new bike. It's isn't a referendum on your self-worth. Unless, of course, you want it to be.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 04-24-22, 07:25 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 430 Posts
I like seeing the nicer bikes, but I'm very happy with my older-2006- LeMond. So while I very much enjoy looking at the nicer bikes, I don't envy them. My bike does all I want or need. Being a senior might have something to do with it, maybe if I was younger and competing, a nicer bike might be on the wish list.
Old 04-24-22, 08:00 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 535 Posts
I enjoy seeing nice bikes. I look at them to see how the riders have them setup. Maybe they're doing something with their bike that I never thought of. Yes, I will admire their bikes but it's never a competition as to what you have and what I have. It would never enter my mind.
Old 04-24-22, 08:06 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
I prefer a component that the industry decided was obsolete, so all I have are vintage steel bikes. The biggest cluster I have on back is a 9 speed. I also prefer shiny components. That eliminates most modern components as well. Sadly, no carbon components for me.
Old 04-24-22, 09:57 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
I absolutely love to look at the bikes around me during events. Not to compare but simply because I enjoy seeing all the different styles materials and ages. My personal bike is also an eye catcher although it is four years old at this point but it generally elicits lots of comments.

to your point though of the seemingly large number of newer bikes, I look at this as a positive, one thing about covid is the number of increased bike usage, I think it’s absolutely fantastic, and if these newer people are joining supported or event rides then all the better because maybe they’ll stick with it! To be fair I live in a pretty tourist centric area and at our Saturday club rides we can get upward of 150 people with guests and visitors, I love to welcome people to the rides best suited for them and am always amazed at how many new aquaintances I make each season simply by talking about bikes and cycling!
Likes For robbyville:
Old 04-24-22, 10:21 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Just imagine one of those riders on the $10,000 carbon superbikes looking at you and thinking, "Man, I wish I had a classic steel bike like that!"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.