Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

extreme heat danger cycling

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

extreme heat danger cycling

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-22, 02:52 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
And if I'm buying fluids I'm always looking for the stuff they haven't put in the refrigerated case yet, if I get stuck with only refrigerated options I have to carry them for 20 minutes before it's not painful to consume them.
One trick I've used, in that situation at a "convenience" store is to buy a small hot coffee along with the couple of bottled liquids I'm needing. Then, in a big cup, I mix half that hot coffee with one bottle's worth of fluids, then the other half of the coffee with the second bottle's worth. That way, the amount of fluid I'm buying gets "cut" with hot coffee and warmed sufficiently right away. Plus, a bit of caffeine doesn't hurt either. Then, I can start drinking immediately, without getting "brain freeze" that cold drinks occasionally create. Any extra bottles of fluids get used to recharge the bottles in the carriers on the bike.

Of course, this won't work on longer, remote routes where such spots are few and far between. But it can work well, if cycling anywhere near such places, or if slightly altering the route to incorporate a couple of intended watering stops along the way.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 05-23-22, 02:53 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Yesterday was interesting. 80 miles with 4750 feet of climbing in 90+ heat. I definitely was not fast, but made it through consuming approximately 126 ozs. of water. The good news is going down a similar number of feet is rather cooling, and the route I was on alternated down and up fairly evenly.

I seem to have inherited a high tolerance for heat from my Semitic ancestors.
Old 05-23-22, 03:16 PM
N2deep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Last year in a 65 mile gravel race, the combination of high heat, high humidity, and poor nutrition (damn hotel was supposed to offer a full breakfast!) did me in. I started cramping at about 30 miles -- cramping so badly that I couldn't pedal up the very steep hills, but could barely climb off the bike to walk as my legs were both locked up. Had no energy, so every pedal stroke was torture. At some point I missed a turn (GPS wasn't working and the course markings were almost nonexistent), so ended up riding longer than the race distance but still ended up back at a mid-route aid station through sheer coincidence. Fortunately, a guy was heading back to the finish line and gave me a lift.

First DNF in 15 years of bike racing. It was the single worst day I've ever had on a bike.
Almost same circumstances, 65 mile coastal ride, 110 degrees and windy. Drank tons of water but the cramps stopped me about 5 miles from the finish line. Thankfully another rider gave me some pickle juice and some electrolytes, I finished but it wasn’t pretty. Now I keep the pickle juice and some electrolytes for those last miles. interesting that I didn't realize that I was in trouble before it became a real issue.

Last edited by N2deep; 05-23-22 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-23-22, 05:03 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 806 Times in 407 Posts
I once did a solo ride across the Everglade in August. Bright sun, incredible heat and humidity, and no trees or any other shade. I had lots of water, but sweat so much that my clothes began to turn white, and I had salt crystals on my arms and legs. The only way to keep cool was to keep moving, if I slowed down my body temperature would jump and I would start to feel dizzy. Toward the end of my ride, the last hour of 5 hours in the saddle, the weather clouded up, and one of those South Florida afternoon thunderstorms broke out. The downpour was terrific, but it cooled me down, and I needed a shower anyway. I don't recommend long rides in the Everglades in the summer.
Old 05-23-22, 05:27 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Several times, I have been on the brink of going for a ride, but the conditions looked too hot/cold/rainy/threatening rain/etc. and I stayed home.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 05-23-22, 08:07 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,625 Times in 2,914 Posts
Last summer did a 30 mile ride in the low 90s. Being in the Pacific North West we are more used to cool temps most of the year. Anywho with about 5 miles to go I stopped, got off my bike to take a picture. Then I became incredibly dizzy. So dizzy I had to sit down on the guard rail next to me immediately. I had about 1/4 of a bottle of water left, so chugged that down and sat there for about 10 minutes until I was only a little dizzy. Was able to get back on the bike and finish. In the future, if it happens again, will make the call of shame rather than risk it. Never had that happen before.

Speaking of future, I will drink far more and take it easy, rather than push. The ironic thing is that in my 30s, I loved the heat, but that was 30+ Years ago. Funny how age affects heat tolerance.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-23-22, 10:08 PM
A350driver

Bikes: Emonda, Speed Concept, A1985 Bianchi and a Stache, Madone all Trek except the Bianchi.

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 74 Posts
You must stay hydrated!
This picture was about 45 miles into a 62 mile “Birthday Ride”. Our group has a tradition of riding your age on your birthday. My birthday is in July so it was hot and humid, the cold beer went down well!

Last edited by A350driver; 05-24-22 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Spiritual Clarity
Likes For A350driver:
Old 05-23-22, 10:30 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Never had a problem while riding. I don't push myself that hard. I've had a couple of bad heat stroke episodes doing clearing and landscaping work in high heat, I work harder than I realize doing that.
Old 05-23-22, 10:42 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked 1,626 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Nice. Ever try the solar still thing?
In training yes but for survival no. At high altitude and low humidity it is hard to find anything even damp enough to distill. I made a solar still out of a 10x10 sheet of plastic and only got about a full cup of water in a day of cooking off. And that was in Central Texas. We would have needed about five solar stills per man.

I have heard of the "Auqamate Inflatable Solar Still" that can be used off of boats. I don't know how much water they are capable of producing but it would appear that having a few on board a water craft would be a good idea.
Old 05-23-22, 11:49 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
About 20 years ago I was riding my fully loaded mountain bike in the extreme south of Thailand in late May between Pattani and Narathiwat. The temps were in the upper 90's with humidity to match. I pulled in to Narathiwat extremely tired and hot. Found a hotel with a pool and after getting my gear and bike into the room I soaked in the pool to lower my body temperature for about 45 minutes.
Old 05-24-22, 04:42 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10154 Post(s)
Liked 5,849 Times in 3,150 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
In training yes but for survival no. At high altitude and low humidity it is hard to find anything even damp enough to distill. I made a solar still out of a 10x10 sheet of plastic and only got about a full cup of water in a day of cooking off. And that was in Central Texas. We would have needed about five solar stills per man.

I have heard of the "Auqamate Inflatable Solar Still" that can be used off of boats. I don't know how much water they are capable of producing but it would appear that having a few on board a water craft would be a good idea.
I once paid a visit to the AFMESA facility at Ft. Detrick to look at their cool portable hospitals, back in the post 9/11 counterterrorism heyday (long story). They gave me a single-use osmotic water purifying kit they said would work on anything. Never used it, but that’s what I’d want in my go-bag.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 05-24-22, 07:46 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
Several times, I have been on the brink of going for a ride, but the conditions looked too hot/cold/rainy/threatening rain/etc. and I stayed home.
"the better part of valour is discretion", eh?
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 05-24-22, 09:02 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Only happened once in a mountain bike race. Was in the 90s and humid when I did it. Maximum effort to hold my place.

Road cycling I can ride in the 90s all day long and not notice a thing.
Old 05-24-22, 09:14 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
I ride in 90+ heat and humidity and i always carry a BUFF. you can soak it in H20 and it will stay damp for hour(s)
Old 05-24-22, 02:48 PM
A350driver

Bikes: Emonda, Speed Concept, A1985 Bianchi and a Stache, Madone all Trek except the Bianchi.

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by N2deep
Almost same circumstances, 65 mile coastal ride, 110 degrees and windy. Drank tons of water but the cramps stopped me about 5 miles from the finish line. Thankfully another rider gave me some pickle juice and some electrolytes, I finished but it wasn’t pretty. Now I keep the pickle juice and some electrolytes for those last miles. interesting that I didn't realize that I was in trouble before it became a real issue.
Speaking of pickle juice for cramps, how about those little mustard packs you can get in a convince store- gas station, usually by the hot dog grilling rollers? I’ve occasionally used those to stave off cramps, seems there’s something in mustard that helps. I grab a couple of those on my way to the chiller to grab a cold drink, seems to work on the long, hot FL summer rides. I also take a magnesium pill every morning before I ride, some gal at the health food store told me that helps stave off cramps.
Old 05-24-22, 06:30 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by A350driver
Speaking of pickle juice for cramps, how about those little mustard packs you can get in a convince store- gas station, usually by the hot dog grilling rollers? I’ve occasionally used those to stave off cramps, seems there’s something in mustard that helps. I grab a couple of those on my way to the chiller to grab a cold drink, seems to work on the long, hot FL summer rides. I also take a magnesium pill every morning before I ride, some gal at the health food store told me that helps stave off cramps.
Didn’t know about mustard but the Google backs you up. Evidently its the turmeric in mustard that does it. Recommended dose is two tea spoons. https://www.tankersleychiro.com/25-m...-cramp-relief/. And just when I got used to drinking pickle juice…

Old 05-24-22, 07:16 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
The ancient capital of China, Xian, once was surrounded by fertile fields, but the climate began to shift and the surroundings became more a desert, with Gobi, in particular, pushing down from the North. I had to do errands on a broken city bike during temperatures of 105-108F. The combination of broken pedals, bike generally resisting the riding and the summer temperature in the city was really rough - I felt I could vomit, but I had no time for that - needed to push. During the days in Senegal, temperature was normally going up to 99F. When I could I waited with the errands until late afternoon when it went down to 93F, but often I had no choice. By then I learned that the most important protection against the conditions was a a hat with a generous brim, more important in practice than supplies of water.
Old 05-25-22, 07:01 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by 2_i
a hat with a generous brim
hats are good
Old 05-26-22, 10:23 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Hats are nice until you fall off the bike.

Always should be wearing a helmet when riding a bike.
Likes For prj71:
Old 05-26-22, 01:08 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by prj71
Hats are nice until you fall off the bike. Always should be wearing a helmet when riding a bike.
only made that exception for a slow 2 mile ride over sand, to a 1 mile beach hike
Old 05-26-22, 08:12 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by N2deep
Thankfully another rider gave me some pickle juice and some electrolytes, I finished but it wasn’t pretty. Now I keep the pickle juice and some electrolytes for those last miles.
Amazing how that nasty stuff is an amazing elixir! I even drink a bit of it before a beer drinking night to stave off the typical dehydration that goes along with such activities. I actually like it now
Old 05-26-22, 08:20 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by A350driver
You must stay hydrated!
This picture was about 45 miles into a 62 mile “Birthday Ride”. Our group has a tradition of riding your age on your birthday. My birthday is in July so it was hot and humid, the cold beer went down well!

A hot weather treat is getting home from a ride and realizing i have a cooler full of beer from an outing a day or 2 before and now the ice is half melted with 3 or 4 ice cold domestic tallboys of light beer floating around in there .
The beer seems as cold as it can ever get and that is where domestic light beers of all types are really tasty !

Amble to the back porch, turn on some Yacht Rock and survey my small fiefdom and think that "Life is good !"
Likes For DMC707:
Old 05-26-22, 08:44 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

An excellent article on heat and aging (you young-uns can run along) courtesy of Road Bike Rider: https://www.roadbikerider.com/cycling-in-high-heat/

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-27-22, 03:53 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by rsbob
An excellent article on heat and aging (you young-uns can run along) courtesy of Road Bike Rider: https://www.roadbikerider.com/cycling-in-high-heat/
interesting website. followed it's link for electrolytes & discovered "chloride". that's a first. don't think I've ever seen a jar of that with the supplements
Old 05-27-22, 06:21 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Quoted: 2601 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
interesting website. followed it's link for electrolytes & discovered "chloride". that's a first. don't think I've ever seen a jar of that with the supplements
Heh. Since most electrolyte supplements start with chlorides of sodium and potassium, I don't worry about the chlorine. If someone's concentrating on chloride instead of Na and K, you're probably in a hospital in very bad shape.
Likes For pdlamb:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.